93 lighning radius arms?

bnails

I need a new set of radius arms for my lightning, and I am hitting a dead-end everywhere I look. Does anybody know where I can find a set of radius arms for my truck? PLEASE HELP!:shrug:

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
The arms themselves rarely go bad, is this the result of an accident? The common problem is the mounts that are factory riveted to the frame. If the bushings go bad, it is easier/cheaper to cut off the mounts and bolt on new ones.
If you really do need the whole arm, and not just the bushings, and the mounts haven't rusted or cracked -- visit your local junk yard for a pair.

Blue OVal Forev

The radius arms for a lightning are Different than a F-150.

If your needing a set for sure let me know. I iwll look I believe I have a set.

Bobby

bnails

no i wasnt in an accident, im just trying to replace the bushings. the problem is that they are pretty rusty, and im not sure if I am going to be able to get the bolts back on secure enough. Im not even sure that they will come off yet or not without braking.

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
If you are just replacing the rear bushings, the ones where the radius arms go through the bracket on the frame, do as I suggested. Get new bracket plates from the dealer, and six (6) grade-8 bolts from your local hardware store. Remove the big nut from the end of the arm. Use a reciprocating saw to cut the bracket. Use a grinder to take the rivet heads off. Once you have ground the rivets enough, you can use a hammer and center punch to pop them out. Put the new bushings in place, and bolt the new brackets into place (use Loctite and lock washers). The second side you do will take half the time that the first side takes.

Charlie41

SiFi junky
Established Member
Since the frame is a off the shelf HD 4X4 snow plow frame. Any one consider looking under that vehicle to see if they are the same? Or getting the #'s from Ford to see if they are the same. Ford also said they do not sell the Lightning engine any more.... But they do. It's an off the shelf, marine application 351. Same block, same heads.

Charlie

OH if you keep yours. Clean them up and paint them with POR 15 (Google it)
It will not rust after this stuff is put on.

Last edited:

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
I fixed a wrecked 93 L about 4 months ago and replaced the radius arms with a set of regular f150 arms same measurements and all markings and numbers were the same .

Litemup86

Established Member
I took a bunch of pictures and documented the replacement of my bushings over at NLOC this week. Check it out if you need.

http://www.nloc.net/vbforum/gen-1-lightnings/167836-radius-arm-bushing-replacement-how.html

I did the replacement by the instructions, but others say they either removed the rivets on the bushing side to make it easier, or just took the springs out and yanked the radius arms out of the mounts to save some labor. Mine didn't seem to want to come that far forward. I say take your old ones totally out like I did, go get them abrasive blasted to clean them up, and paint or powder coat them. Are they rusted that bad that they need to be replaced?

Users who are viewing this thread