'93 Cobra Intake VS. FRPP Cobra Intake

blk50cobra

Established Member
Does anybody have any information on the differences between these intakes? I know there have been several variations, especially with the GT-40 lowers.

I was just comparing my stock '93 Cobra lower to a new in box FRPP Cobra lower and it appears the ports are a different size.
The stock lower ports seem to be about 1 15/16" x 1" (a very close match to the size of the stock GT-40 head ports), while the FRPP lower ports are only about 1 11/16" x 1".
I have found a couple other posts on corral that seem to indicate 1 11/16" x 1" as the dimensions for the FRPP cobra lower.

Has anybody else measured their port dimensions on either version?

It seems the stock '93 cobra intake has bigger ports. I don't think mine has been ported because the casting flash is still present, and there is no evidence it had ever been removed from the car.

Maybe there have been variations in the FRPP Cobra intake over the years too.

Does anybody have more info about this?

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
A friend of mine bought one of the new FRPP "Cobra" intakes. I could measure his ports and let you know. I know the upper intake has quite a few differences in appearence. The new FRPP intake is suppose to be made by Professional Products and then boxed in FRPP box.

blk50cobra

Established Member
thanks

Thanks for that last link. That is what I suspected- the original '93 Cobra intakes and very early Motorsport intakes (probably leftover from the '93-'95 cobras) had bigger ports than the later Motorsport/Ford Racing ones.
The new one I have is the newest version and is fully polished. It is made in China, but I don't think it is any different than the previous cobra intakes (except for the early original ones).

Probably not too many people have the originals with the slightly bigger ports, so I guess we are lucky, assuming the larger ports offer slightly better performance.

Last edited:

Paulvancouver

Established Member
since people are paying an arm and a leg for oem intakes i think i might buy the frpp one, you can get it in full polished from pics i have seen, something that would take endless hours on the lower intake alone if i were to do it

93BlkCobra

Established Member
Crazy, Did not know that! I would love to know the difference.
I had thought about getting a Polished one from 50Resto,
but if the flow diff. from OEM forget that!

Anyone have any pics of a new one polished? like to see it!

blk50cobra

Established Member
I will get pics of my polished one up later today. The polishing job is really outstanding. I can't believe they only charge $100 extra for the polished version, well worth it, considering how much work it takes.

BTW, I've decided to sell it and keep my stock one, so if anybody is interested in buying a new in box polished one for less than 50resto, let me know.

blk50cobra

Established Member
picture

Here it is...
intake.jpg

Paulvancouver

Established Member
yeah but most people would charge at least 100 for the upper and alot more for the lower, if you were to do the lower by hand i can see it taking 10-20 hours.i wonder how they do it so cheap, and if its by hand or some sort of blasting and machine polish, i want to get one and send it off for chrome, i can see the lower getting oxidized.

93BlkCobra

Established Member
Re: picture

Originally posted by blk50cobra
Here it is...
intake.jpg
Damn that looks so good! Really I take back what I said
I would not worrie about a few HP,if really any to matter!
To have something lookin that good:)

kcp203

Established Member
Originally posted by Paulvancouver
yeah but most people would charge at least 100 for the upper and alot more for the lower, if you were to do the lower by hand i can see it taking 10-20 hours.i wonder how they do it so cheap, and if its by hand or some sort of blasting and machine polish, i want to get one and send it off for chrome, i can see the lower getting oxidized.

"Made In China" -That's how!!!

Considering that Chinese factory workers make about $100-200 per month, $100 for the polishing gives the factory a pretty good profit.

Users who are viewing this thread