93 cobra factory CD player question

S

snakeplisskin93

Still waiting on the title for the black 93. I don't know if it had CD from factory, but if I wanted to add it, I believe you also need underseat amp.

If car came with just reg stereo, is amp still there?

Also I believe the CD palyer stereo's are 93 specific, can someone verify that or will other years work?

Also on the car I'm getting, it has an aftermarket stereo in it, but under it is a delete panel. Anyone else have that?

Thanks

WillyB93

Established Member
The unseat amp is there if you have a tape deck or cd player, it was part of the premium sound these cars cam equipped with. If it has an aftermarket cd player the dash kit that was most common, used screws into factory dash and had like a delete kit on the bottom to hide the old factory tray. I hope whomever installed the aftermarket cd player did not cut the factory plugs if so you may have some issues putting a factory cd player back into it. Most commonly they sell a special wiring harness to adapt the aftermarket cd player or radio to original pluggs. here is a link to a common dash kit Ford Mustang 1987 - 1993 Dash Kit Here is what they should have used to hard wire to the radio to adapt to the factory plugs [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness-Mustang-wiring-installation/dp/B000KL4JSS]Amazon.com: Stereo Wire Harness Ford Mustang 93 1993 (car radio wiring installation parts): Electronics[/ame]

S

snakeplisskin93

As usual Willy, you have all the answers! Yes I've seen those adapter harness' before. We'll see when I get it/

Thanks again!:burnout:

delvin.a

Established Member
The cd player is also mustang specific, It doesn't bulge out around the edge it's flat. Most of the cd players on ebay are not mustang cd players despite what the ad may say.

S

snakeplisskin93

The cd player is also mustang specific, It doesn't bulge out around the edge it's flat. Most of the cd players on ebay are not mustang cd players despite what the ad may say.

Yes I know all the ford ones look similar. Can you be more specific on what a mustang one is supposed to look like?

WillyB93

Established Member
No neither one of those is compare the outer rings around the face plate on the link I provided

S

snakeplisskin93

Bear with me on this, but still not sure what you mean by rings. If someone had a correct CD player pic that would be great. Your pic is a tape player and mine are cd players, so I'm having a tough time seeing a difference.

Or when and if I do find one, I'll just run it by you first willy!

Do you mean that raised lip around the face?

WillyB93

Established Member

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
Yes there should be no raised lip around the face of the buttons 1993 93 FORD MUSTANG COBRA GT LX CD RADIO STEREO SSP - eBay (item 320673079593 end time Mar-25-11 16:28:06 PDT)
It should look like this one around the face area, flat not a raised edge around the buttons. I have bought one from this guy and a couple others on here. We think he is refurbishing them. Good seller and fast shipper.

Bare with me too Will.... Kinda coming in late on this topic.
Are you saying this is the correct CD player in the 93's?
1993 93 FORD MUSTANG COBRA GT LX CD RADIO STEREO SSP - eBay (item 320673079593 end time Mar-25-11 16:28:06 PDT)

Also, how? and what are your thoughts on that IPOD connection?

buddha93

Established Member
That is the correct radio/cd player.

It's all in the bezel. Look at the corners and how they are squared off, as well as that extra "line" that is part of the bezel. The other ones have rounded off corners and don't have that extra line.

Here is just the bezel:

1993 COBRA NOS CD PLAYER FACE GT LX CONVERTIBLE 5.0 93 - eBay (item 280360390043 end time Apr-09-11 19:16:52 PDT)

On a side note, I just sold that Ebay seller a bunch of my old radios. I think the converted tape player with the IPOD hookup is the one he just got from me.

Last edited:

WillyB93

Established Member
Thanks buddy for helping me there, I don't see anything wrong with the Ipod connection especially if you use one all the time. He hid them pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread