93 Cobra--Cloth Vs Leather?

CLASSIC MUSCLE

Car Collector
Established Member
I'm currently in the market for a collector-quality 93 Cobra, and I had a question about the interior. The leather is obviously more prevalent in the 93 Cobra, but what do you guys prefer? I've had several Fox GT's in the past with cloth, and liked it. Are the cloth 93 Cobras more desirable due to the rarity? Or do people want the leather?

CLASSIC MUSCLE

Car Collector
Established Member
Cloth brings more money. Especially black. Also non sunroof brings more.

Interesting. I was aware of the sunroof, but I didn't think that people would pay more for cloth over the leather. Is the leather option in these cars good? Or cheap and thin leather?

WillyB93

Established Member
Interesting. I was aware of the sunroof, but I didn't think that people would pay more for cloth over the leather. Is the leather option in these cars good? Or cheap and thin leather?

The leather doesn't really hold up as well as the cloth, plus replacements aren't the best fitment as originals. Really kinda depends on who is buying the car, Some people prefer the leather. I have mostly owned cloth seat cars, seems the lower mileage lower production number cars bring the best $$.

50stangpower

Established Member
when I had my Teal car it had redone leather, a sunroof, and had been repainted with 77k miles on it. I still got around 18k for it. Buyers are out there for every combo possible. Id love to pick another up one day.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
All my cars (with the exception of the 2000 Cobra R) are leather. I much prefer leather over cloth. My 93 has 11,000 miles and the leather still looks perfect.

To me, cloth seats just look "cheap" - unless they are there for weight savings in a race car (00R). I have the same opinion with a leather vs. cloth couch.

50stangpower

Established Member
All my cars (with the exception of the 2000 Cobra R) are leather. I much prefer leather over cloth. My 93 has 11,000 miles and the leather still looks perfect.

To me, cloth seats just look "cheap" - unless they are there for weight savings in a race car (00R). I have the same opinion with a leather vs. cloth couch.

cant disagree with you on the car comment but thats not the case for these cars. A teal car with black cloth without a sunroof brings all of the money.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
cant disagree with you on the car comment but thats not the case for these cars. A teal car with black cloth without a sunroof brings all of the money.

Only because it was the lowest production combo. Leather interior is an upgrade above the stock seats.

In reality, any 93 is an awesome car. I prefer the sunroof and leather, others prefer no sunroof and cloth. It's good to have options.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
At this point in the life of the 93 Cobras, miles and condition seem to be the biggest factor in value. Not saying that some won't pay extra for the particular options they are looking for, of course.

Speedfreek

Established Member
Cloth cars a defiantly more desirable as most of the cars that were purchased with the intent of keeping as low mile collector cars seem to all have leather interior. It isn't often a low mile cloth car pops up for sale.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I believe cloth ages better than leather. These cars are close to 25 years old and leather starts cracking with age. Cloth you don't worry about other than keeping mice out.

Tom

buddha93

Established Member
I would agree with this.

But me personally, I prefer a good cloth seat car, never been a huge fan of the leather.

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
My '93 Cobra is cloth car with no sunroof. Now at 72K miles. Except for a slight rub on the driver's seat my interior looks almost like new. My buddies' black '93 Cobra (which he also bought new) with grey leather and a sunroof had his front seats cracking up and his sunroof leaked some on the passenger's seat and it hardened up badly and has micro fractures all over it. That was ten years ago. He has since sold it off. I like cloth seats much much better.

Cracked up leather seats give the appearance of crappy cheap leather. Sure it looks awesome when new but for most it doesn't seem to stay that way for very long. My 70K mile '03 Mach 1 is showing the typical cracking sign in the leather front seats and I hate that. I have treated the leather in that car almost every month since I bought it i '05. All of my Mustangs have always been garage kept also.

When I bought my '93 Cobra new I did NOT want leather or a sunroof. I was lucky to find this one. That's jut me.

buddha93

Established Member
It's the OEM Ford leather they used then. I've had it two different cars and it just doesn't wear/age well.

The aftermarket leather in my red car is of much better quality.

SVTStampede

Established Member
It's the OEM Ford leather they used then. I've had it two different cars and it just doesn't wear/age well.

The aftermarket leather in my red car is of much better quality.

I agree with that completely. My 93 Cobra had leather, but the cloth seats of that era look better, even before the aging. Most people drool(or used to) over 5.0 notches with black cloth for similar reasons. Just looks cooler.

HighTorque

Established Member
IM SURE SOMEONE IN HERE KNOWS HOW MANY RED, BLACK CLOTH, NO SUNROOF 93 COBRAS WERE MADE?

09VistaGT500

Established Member
IM SURE SOMEONE IN HERE KNOWS HOW MANY RED, BLACK CLOTH, NO SUNROOF 93 COBRAS WERE MADE?

Well there were only 362 of them total Red with Black cloth. Not sure how many of those were sunroof cars.

I'd be curious to know how many red/black non-sunroof myself as that is the exact combo I have currently.

I had a low mileage Teal/leather and now have the Red/black. I like the cloth a lot better personally for feel and style.

TFStang

Established Member
Cloth and preferably black cloth interior. Had a Teal/Black 93 with 59K miles and the interior looked brand new. The cloth interior, especially the black cloth hold up very well. The leather is horrendous. Seen 5K mile cars with leather seats that looked like they were used for 100K miles.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I had a 93 Red Cobra that I bought new off the lot late in the model year and was optioned with grey leather. I did not own the Cobra too long to see how the leather held up but would have preferred black cloth if I had ordered the car.

Users who are viewing this thread