9/10 mpg really?

johnjon87

Established Member
I have a hybrid for my daily driver. What I save in gas a month it pays for a lot of car mods!!! 40 MPG can be fun... kinda. I smile when I don't go to the pump. :coolman:

You might want to invest in an efficient daily driver... you'll think twice about in a year or two when fuel hits the 6 dollar+ mark. Yes it will be there soon esp. if BAMA stays in another term. But if you don't commute more than 20 miles per day... gas prices don't matter much either way.

The new HP war may just be who can make the MOST Power while getting the most MPG. See the new Hybrid Porsche with 500 HP.

you got a good point luckily im only 3 miles from the pentagon... But it still adds up Ive been thinking about selling the jeep I just dont know what I would like yet..? plus its hard driving another car especially one of those cars that are good on gas after being in the shelby and the srt ughh I just cant do it lol but I guess there will be a time where I get so fed up with it that Ill have to make a "change" sound familiar lol still waiting for that to be a good thing

mullens

Established Member
When are you guys starting to see the "50 miles to E" warning on the dash? Mine is usually around 1/2 tank. :(

Just below 1/4 tank. Something's definitley off with yours unless you're calculating 6 MPG.

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
I've been averaging 16-17 in the summer because they don't use that crap E-10. In the winter it goes down to 15.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I hope everyone made sure the axle ratio and tire revs per mile were set accurately in the tune. If not, your digital mpg and manual calculations will be wrong.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
You guys have a heavy foot. My mods are in my sig with a Jon Lund tune thru Van. I have my BAP hard wired. I drove to Jacksonville from NC this week. I get 22 mpg at 80 mph with AC. On my way back I drove up Hwy 17 thru GA. It's flat as a pool table. At 62 mph with the windows cracked 1/4 way I was getting 27 MPG. I can coax 19 mpg in the city if I can run around 45 mph in 5th gear and granny shifting. I think being on the downhill side of life increases mpg.

But, when I whoop on it I have seen as low as 2.7.

mullens

Established Member
You guys have a heavy foot. My mods are in my sig with a Jon Lund tune thru Van. I have my BAP hard wired. I drove to Jacksonville from NC this week. I get 22 mpg at 80 mph with AC. On my way back I drove up Hwy 17 thru GA. It's flat as a pool table. At 62 mph with the windows cracked 1/4 way I was getting 27 MPG. I can coax 19 mpg in the city if I can run around 45 mph in 5th gear and granny shifting. I think being on the downhill side of life increases mpg.

But, when I whoop on it I have seen as low as 2.7.
When's the last time you looked under your hood? I think someone stole your engine and replaced it with a V6 :)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
When's the last time you looked under your hood? I think someone stole your engine and replaced it with a V6 :)

No, he just has 3.31 gears. I'd be shocked to hear he was using Motorcraft 5W-50 and still getting as good of mpg.

I think this would be more accurate.....

His axle ratio or tire rev per mile are set wrong in his tune.

@ consistent 80 mph I have never seen better than 19.6 with 3.73 gears.....never better than 20.2 with 3.31 gears.

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
The BEST Mpg I have ever gotten is 15, period. All Highway, no boost. I don't use the computer, don't know how. I fill the tank very full, count the miles until my next fill up very full and divide, old school, I average between 9-13. I don't race and average a Freeway pull or 2 per tank. 09 Vert, stock gears and tires, FRPP Tune and Cai, KR Axleback Exhaust. 500 Rwhp, 473 Rwtq Sae on Ret's Dynojet, very safe. Ca. 91 Octane "Premium". This thing is a pig in more ways than one...

Yellow Horse

Established Member
No, he just has 3.31 gears. I'd be shocked to hear he was using Motorcraft 5W-50 and still getting as good of mpg.

I think this would be more accurate.....

His axle ratio or tire rev per mile are set wrong in his tune.

@ consistent 80 mph I have never seen better than 19.6 with 3.73 gears.....never better than 20.2 with 3.31 gears.

So, when I said I get two mph better at 80 mph than you, you think my gear ratio is wrong? :lol:

Funny, when I drove my Expedition to Florida the trip to my sister's home was 450 miles.

Same as my GT500. :idea:

There are some people that can coax more miles out of a tank of gas, sonny.

Last edited:

DaFreak

Established Member
I was curious about mine so I went out and looked it up. To my amazement it said 13.3! City only with constant spirited driving. I run ethanol free 92 and 10-40W Amsoil so maybe that's helping????

Beast walked me through adjusting the rev/mile and axle ratio on my tune so we'll see if it changes.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I looked the other day if the NAV would show mph while I was driving. I didn't see any setting for it to show but it's hard to look at everything while driving. I haven't looked at the manual.

Just to make sure I got my portable GPS and took my car out on the interstate. The odometer was dead-spot-on with the mph on the GPS and wurnt no error from parallax. Besides, with the position of the odometer the error from parallax would show a slower odometer reading.

Users who are viewing this thread