89 mustang vs 99csvt

SVTStampede

Established Member
Get a 75 shot and dont worry about stock 5.0s anymore(is there such a thing?)

Just want to add, stock LXs have been known to run 13s(mainly 5-speed coupes, no power options, no AC, 3.08 gear option).

Also, depending on year and luck, many 5.0s do indeed have more than 225HP. Id figure SVT fans would know manufacturer HP "errors"..in both directions(sorry 99 cobra guys lol) more than anyone.

Last edited:

celerypowered

Established Member
I drove my gf's brothers 98 5.0LX at the track, and to boot it was my first time ever going to a track. The car it stock except for a kkm cai. I weigh about 235lbs and there was the usual 50lbs of crap in the car. The car was wearing normal street tires, stock size , lowered pressure in tires and ran a 14.1 and ran 14.2's consistently. The mustang board didnt believe him, till he posted the slips. Ill see if i can get them from him.

svtcontour

Established Member
DemonSVT said:
That is quite the high pile of BS you have there. 13's in a stock 5.0 BWAHAHAHA... I'd definitely buy the high 14's.

~~~

Do the math once. 225 HP and 3000lbs. VERY High 14's with a low 90mph trap.

Bench race it (i.e. magazine) - 14.8 to 15.3 at 90-92mph.

There is positively no "factory freak build" that gives the 5.0 another 100 horsepower. Period.

My friend had a 92LX coupe with stock gears (3.08) in a 5 speed car. He ran the car to a 14.1 with only a K&N filter, timing and other things one might do to a stock car. I think he overinflated the front tires, pulled the spare tire..etc.

He later 13.8's with equal length shorty headers, mac hpipe and exhaust. His final time was a 13.60 something with the addition of a 3.73 gear. Keep in mind this is still on stock tires. I think they were the Michelins.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
LX's back in the late 80's early 90's were high 13 to low 14 second cars. Do the 15 minute tune up and you could run 13's all day(advance timing and pull silencer). A 5.0 made alot of torque and the curve was very flat. That said, a stock LX/GT would handily beat a stock SVT Contour in the 1/4. I had a stock except drop in K&N filter 1985 GT 4bl 5spd car run 14.44 @ 94 at HRP. I've also witnessed many 5.0's run high 13's stock. A 2.73 geared GT is capable of 140+mph so a topend run would be a toss-up.

And take magazine numbers for what they are, a guideline but not the norm. Many show 03-04 cobras as low 13 second cars, but most owners whom have learned to drive have gone mid 12's.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
JAYMONEY said:
Why do you have a hard time beleiving a stock 5.0 can't hit the 13's? Because a magazine told you?
You stated that trq is just a number. True, it needs a power curve. I never said it didn't. But torque is not "just a number". I see that this whole conversation is pointless. :read:

i believe you. i don't think the other guy has had a 5.0. i've had/have about 7 of them

Users who are viewing this thread