89-93 5.0 lx

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Why is it so hard to find a decent LX or Gt that hasn't been carburrated and gears. I've tried Ebay, cars.com, and auto trader. I wanted to spend $3500-$5000 on a 5spd with a clean interior. I don't mind driving but the better ones seem to be near Cali; a little too far for me. I've searched 500 miles out and am almost willing to drive to Jersey to get one. No luck. The 3 possibles I've found didn't list the mileage. I just wanted one under 145k on it. Sorry about the rant I just needed to vent. Back to the hunt and if you guys know of one and can get pics let me know. I can understand exhaust and some mods but almost every car I've seen has gears and I'm not too sure how much gear is too much. It has to be able to commute some and get 15-18 mpg. I don't think 3.73's will do that. Help me out if you can; I'm more familiar with the gen2 lightnings than these. I miss the stick shift vehicles and thought a LX would be a nice change up.

trents99

99cbra was my hero
Established Member
'89 coupe stock block/heads with bolt-ons running 3.73s through a t5-z with the 2.95 first gear. I get around 20-21mpg on the highway. This is shifting around 3500rpm usually with some occasional interstate on ramp blasts so it's doable.

Go look around on www.streetcarforums.com . Mustangs always pop up for sale in the Alabama/Georgia/Tennessee areas on there.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
Thanks guy, I'll check into them. Thanks for the heads up on the gears, I'M leary of someone elses swap but at least now I know the max gear I want in one. The 3.73 would be just right actually.

colby ourso

Established Member
i just bought 92 LX hatchback body/int real good shape w/ new centerline wheels,tires, alt,shocks,batt, head, tail lights pretty clean car
but the only prob is its a 2.3l 4cyl auto and the tranny downshifts when it gets warmed up which might be somthin major or just simple as a new filter fluid, flush the trans is a new rebuilt that was installed a yr ago
i just got it for a very cheap price
i planing on a motor/tranny swap a i have gen II lighting motor and a 351 4v Cleavland i figure the lightning motor if it can make 4800lbs haul ass it should make 2800lbs FLY
or i might just sell the car

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
funny you mention jersey. I drove a couple hours to jersey a couple months ago to pick up my 93 black on black bone stock lx 5.0 -5 speed with 65k original miles, and from the original owner. Mint condition for 6k. It was a steal in my eyes. First thing i did was get it inspected and then yanked the cats (put on a mac h, and 2 chamber flows catback), then yanked the air silencer and threw in a k&n. Then I put it in the garage to collect dust all year long.Good luck on your quest and have fun. Auto trader helped me.

NIT2WN

torque junky
Established Member
I didn't find a LX, but did find a very clean GT in Florida on the autotrader sight. Plan to leave Saturday going after it. She has need door, hatch, and sunroof seals, clutch, headlights,fog lights, was resprayed not long ago. She wasn't my first pick but the black on black has won me over. The guy is putting 3.55's in it for me also. I'VE been asking around and the 3.73's would be nice but he didn't charge any extra to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread