88 Fox Horn doesn't work- ground issue on horn button wiring.

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
I picked up an 88 T-top and am having some trouble with it but I've got it narrowed down pretty far.

So far I've ran a jumper wire directly from the battery to the horns and they operate just fine.

Fuse is good.

I've picked up the foam replacement kit from LMR.

I got under the dash and checked the yellow/green wire with a test light and the blue/white (I think) wire and the test light lit up with both of those. I went ahead and replaced the relay.

This car has the cruise control removed. If I run my test light from ground and probe the purple wire coming off the horn button wiring the horns sound. I've traced this thing all the way to the steering wheel. That means the little black wire, which follows to the copper wheel behind the steering wheel with the 3 prongs, I'm not getting a good ground somewhere. Since the cruise control buttons and horn wiring are all integrated into those 3 prongs where does the 3 prong wiring ground at? I even touched the 2 copper plates directly together with the foam removed and am still getting nothing, but and like I said if I touch the purple wire with the test light the horn works. I'm stumped.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I was under the impression , the horns are grounded at the mounting point .
The contact at the wheel sends 12 volts to the horn .
My 84 T top Gt , has an inop horn , has been for 20 years ....lol
I can hear the relay click , but no sound from the horn .
Frankly, I never use the horn , so I have never bothered with it .
Good luck

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
Yea, it wouldn't be at the top of my list but I need my state insp. done.

That's what's getting me, jumper wire ran from positive straight to horn honks them, test light grounded on good ground, to purple power wire on horn button wiring honks them. So it has to be the ground on the wheel. I'm not getting a relay click or anything when putting the copper contacts together.

Users who are viewing this thread