#8 missfire.. again

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
This goes with anything...tune the car, drive the snot out of it, and wonder why you get denied for service?

KidMoney

Established Member
It's a bad situation. This is the exact reason I'm not tuning my car. Good luck.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
It's a bad situation. This is the exact reason I'm not tuning my car. Good luck.

I think alot of it has to do with "who" tunes the car, and how the car is driven. Sounds like it had some timing (maybe to much) and the famous "cylinder 8 meltdown" showed its face. This is why you need to be careful on the tune itself. I'm all for maximizing performance and efficiency, however there's a happy medium in the tune to keep the longevity.(and that's mainly the timing, too much say goodbye to #8)

turd burglar

Established Member
Livernoise usually know their shit, wouldn't blame it on a bad tune necessarily. But who knows, and as far as "don't cheat the dealer," **** that. If your dealer is straight up, then be honest with em, but so many of em are dirt bags about warranty work, get em when you can

oman svt

Established Member
who wants a mustang if you can't mod it....
modding makes it more fun..
well the dealer did not detect a tune, i was there yesterday. tech said "i'm just following orders as per Fords TSB regarding this issue"I took the TSB copies from him and showed him the part where it says "if Modification explain the problem". I also told him it doesnt make sense that mufflers would void warranty and that i will file a case if I have to. He said he'll talk to his manager and give me a call. Hoping for the best..

CoreyHM1

Established Member
Good luck, ford denied my warranty after they had my motor down to a bare block. Ford told the tech that the #8 could ONLY be caused by aftermarket mods. Also they check your key cycles, so 5 key cycles on a car with 20k miles obviously don't add up. Get I fixed and get a dyno tune. Dyno tune > email tune

oman svt

Established Member
Good luck, ford denied my warranty after they had my motor down to a bare block. Ford told the tech that the #8 could ONLY be caused by aftermarket mods. Also they check your key cycles, so 5 key cycles on a car with 20k miles obviously don't add up. Get I fixed and get a dyno tune. Dyno tune > email tune

how much did fixing the car cost you?
thanks

KidMoney

Established Member
I think alot of it has to do with "who" tunes the car, and how the car is driven. Sounds like it had some timing (maybe to much) and the famous "cylinder 8 meltdown" showed its face. This is why you need to be careful on the tune itself. I'm all for maximizing performance and efficiency, however there's a happy medium in the tune to keep the longevity.(and that's mainly the timing, too much say goodbye to #8)

I agree. Have people had a lot of luck with the head cooling mod? Seems like not many people are running it and this is a known issue.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I agree. Have people had a lot of luck with the head cooling mod? Seems like not many people are running it and this is a known issue.

so far there is no proof that the head cooling mod does any good. Now, IF/when I have my motor out I will put it on just to be safe, but I would not buy it with the intent of "fixing" the #8 issue, more of an "it cant hurt" thought behind it.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member

its not that the cylinder #8 gets to hot, its too much timing thrown at it(causing it to get hot). head cooling mod def. isn't going to fix the problem, problem lies in the tune. wouldn't be worth pulling the motor out to put that on there...

atistang

Established Member
you'd be correct.

ok so emissions aside about the only way it could cause a problem is in lower rpm's when it is doing away with some overlap where the cylinder might get a little hotter?

do you have a source for the info on what the canned intune actually is "tuning"

GTtoSVT

Established Member
I had my 2011 tune from livernois installed at 7k miles and ran great all the way to 32k when I traded it in.. Sounds like he had issues long before the tune came along.

Users who are viewing this thread