-8 feed with twin Walbro 465 pumps?

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
my understanding is its the 1st gen of 405's that were bad so Walbro has since addressed the issue. have a buddy running 405's over 1 1/2 years on e85 with ZERO issues.
apparantly the problem had to do with the fuel getting too hot. Fore now has a fuel stage controller that has corrected the issue and the 405's are holding up fine....:shrug:

Do you have a link to this Fore pump speed/stage controller?

The only controller I am aware of is just a couple of relays in a really nice package. It offers no control over pump speed so would make no difference in how hot the pumps get. They would still run 100%.

FC2 Dual Pump Controller

Also, the 405's weren't even launched until Fall of 2011 so that would be roughly 1.5 yrs ago. Like was stated earlier in the thread, pump part numbers ending in 262 are the ones that are failing. The 267 pumps came out last May, IIRC. From what I've seen, it's always the brushes wearing out in them prematurely. It could just be bad pumps irrespective to e85 but kinda funny how all the bad pumps people have posted about are always living in e85 when they "shit the bed".

I was telling my wife about this pump fiasco a few weeks ago when I was trying to decide if I would sell my 405's and get 465's instead. She even thought it was a good idea since, in her words, "If one of the pumps fail, can't it blow up your engine? Wouldn't that be really expensive to fix?"

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
the 405's are holding up fine....:shrug:

The fuel controller is a good idea, but don't be stubborn heed the advice posted on here. There have been many, many, many recent failures of 405s in E85. I lost 4 in less than 600 miles total.

Robertp

2.9 crusher guy
Established Member
It's just weird that some have issues and others don't, my junk has been in there over a year with no issues on 405s and the other car like 8 months, just seems strange but I guess we will see what happens

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I believe that Walbro changed something in the 405's when they wanted to promote the 465's.

Just my $.02

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
It looks like I have another 400 going out, again.
Time to waste more $$$ on pumps that should have worked properly in the first place.
Walbro is probably viewing this as a cash cow.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I run a -10 feed and an -8 return with twin 465's from Lethal.

Andy,
I am about to replace my dying 405s for the 3rd time
I noticed the 465s have the connectors sealed on top of the pump with a pig tail to connect to a connector supplied by Lethal.
How did you connect the wire to the existing wire that comes through the fuel hat?
Thanks!
Rick

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
All you need to do is clip the connector off the pump and use male spade connectors, crimped or soldered, to connect those wires to the connector on the hat.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
All you need to do is clip the connector off the pump and use male spade connectors, crimped or soldered, to connect those wires to the connector on the hat.

Thanks Derek!
I just got off the phone with Matt G ordering new pumps.
As always I appreciate Lethal's help!
Rick

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
It seems like several of the 405 failures are people dding their cars and the pumps running hot? I may be wrong, I just hope mine last longer than some people claim...

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Andy,
I am about to replace my dying 405s for the 3rd time
I noticed the 465s have the connectors sealed on top of the pump with a pig tail to connect to a connector supplied by Lethal.
How did you connect the wire to the existing wire that comes through the fuel hat?
Thanks!
Rick

Here's how I did mine.

First, I clipped the connector off the 465lph pump. I decided to cut it pretty close to the pump as the leads coming off the pump are 16-18 awg so tried to make it as short as possible. I then crimped some male spade connectors on using my trusty ChannelLock 909's.

mwbH8nL.jpg

Then I removed the female spade connectors from the plug they're in on the hat harness. To remove them, slip a thin pick between the connector and the top side of the female spade to bend the retention piece down that is on the spade. You can see the little retention tab on the space connector in this next pic. I then slipped a piece of 3/8" dual wall shrink tube on the wire, then connected the two together.

ui1L4c8.jpg

Then I hit the heat shrink with a heat gun. This heat shrink I had was only a 2:1 ratio but it is supposed to hold up in fuel well. I'm not so worried about sealing them, I just wanted something to help hold the connectors together as they're not all that tight fitting.

3vdUrmq.jpg

Here is the finished product. The wires should tuck up out of the way. This was another plus of cutting the leads on the pump kind of short.

ZKEMl94.jpg

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Here's how I did mine.

First, I clipped the connector off the 465lph pump. I decided to cut it pretty close to the pump as the leads coming off the pump are 16-18 awg so tried to make it as short as possible. I then crimped some male spade connectors on using my trusty ChannelLock 909's.

mwbH8nL.jpg

Then I removed the female spade connectors from the plug they're in on the hat harness. To remove them, slip a thin pick between the connector and the top side of the female spade to bend the retention piece down that is on the spade. You can see the little retention tab on the space connector in this next pic. I then slipped a piece of 3/8" dual wall shrink tube on the wire, then connected the two together.

ui1L4c8.jpg

Then I hit the heat shrink with a heat gun. This heat shrink I had was only a 2:1 ratio but it is supposed to hold up in fuel well. I'm not so worried about sealing them, I just wanted something to help hold the connectors together as they're not all that tight fitting.

3vdUrmq.jpg

Here is the finished product. The wires should tuck up out of the way. This was another plus of cutting the leads on the pump kind of short.

ZKEMl94.jpg

Awesome Herb!
Thanks for the great details and pics.
One thing that does concern me is why does Walbro use the weather pack connections.
Is it because they don't want any electrical connections in the E85?
There are pig tails which connect directly to the plug from the pump.
Not sure IF the plugs are completely sealed though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread