#8 explained a little better:

Status
Not open for further replies.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
No tune shop had any part in manufacturing parts for the Mustang. Not did they have any part if the Factory tune calibration.

We simply take the factory tune, make a few modifications removing limits, calibrating for CAI's, exhaust, etc, etc.

What about that makes tuners responsible for engine failures related to Ford OEM issues?

Shaun, honest question: If you have 'tuned out' the coding that has caused the problems, why would you not guarantee like Bama?

I hear that you are saying there is an issue with the tune from factory that causes the failures in some cars. But, didn't you also say that you have corrected the problem?

Mikegee1028

Established Member
Shaun, honest question: If you have 'tuned out' the coding that has caused the problems, why would you not guarantee like Bama?

I hear that you are saying there is an issue with the tune from factory that causes the failures in some cars. But, didn't you also say that you have corrected the problem?

He has a fix that hasn't had an engine failure since the fix was released but this doesn't guarantee that the engine won't fail basically. And if it does fail for x or y reason the bill is in your hands.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member

Just because he could get rid of the tune issue, doesn't ensure the guy behind the wheel isnt being a jackwagon with the car anyway, not doing routine maintenance. no one was asking for warranties or guarantees with the 03/04 cobras I wonder WTF has changed over the years???

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
no one was asking for warranties or guarantees with the 03/04 cobras I wonder WTF has changed over the years???

The internet is more prevalent today in the hobby than it was then. So people are more aware of the scary stories. What people tend to forget it tends to be only the unhappy people who seem to report what is going with their cars and the happy people are out driving their cars.

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
Just because he could get rid of the tune issue, doesn't ensure the guy behind the wheel isnt being a jackwagon with the car anyway, not doing routine maintenance. no one was asking for warranties or guarantees with the 03/04 cobras I wonder WTF has changed over the years???

A lot has changed since 03/04...that's reminds me, everyone please VOTE this upcoming election!

Back on topic, the quoted statement is exactly why Shaun doesn't and respectively never should warrant your motor.
Very happy AED customer here.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Keep in mind the testing Ford did on these. I don't have the exact info in front of me but they do full throttle for hours on end in the lab. Apparently something went sideways in the software department! With a good calibration these things are far from being a glass motor.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
He has a fix that hasn't had an engine failure since the fix was released but this doesn't guarantee that the engine won't fail basically. And if it does fail for x or y reason the bill is in your hands.

Yea, you guys are stating the obvious -- $hit could happen, or the owner could be a $hithead. However, you're ignoring that he at first said that they had removed the risky area of the tune, then cited that area of the tune as to why he can't guarantee his tune.

And, before you flame out without the proper knowledge, or try to state something magnificent like "you have to pay to play" or "you can't expect him to warranty when you break your stuff," let me explain: I have no tune (even from Bama) and am not asking for a guarantee. Just wanted the apparent contradiction cleared up.

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
I know I'm not speaking for him, but if it was me and I was a small shop I wouldn't want to pay the out of pocket cost to have a policy on a just in case. I may have the fix but I'm not a multimillion (just throwing numbers out there but I'm assuming bama and am make a lot more money based on volume) dollar company that can afford to pay for such a policy. I think that ultimately his tunes speak for themselves and that's what sells them not some guarantee. I think tommy boy said it best " you can get a good look at a t bone steak by sticking you head up a bulls ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butchers word for it?"

stang8psi

Established Member
^ welcome to asking questions and getting a sideways answer from AED! I swear some of the people who are tuned would buy them from a cereal box if someone told them to, And giving confusing answers or reasons for said issues!

SILV03MustangGT

Established Member
^ welcome to asking questions and getting a sideways answer from AED! I swear some of the people who are tuned would buy them from a cereal box if someone told them to, And giving confusing answers or reasons for said issues!

I'm happy with my tuner. Some people have a hard time grasping that. My response is just a hypothetical scenario which in know way represents AED. If you take a step back and look at it from a business owners point of view do you think it would be economical to pay a large sum of money for a warranty that you know you don't need?

Mikegee1028

Established Member
Yea, you guys are stating the obvious -- $hit could happen, or the owner could be a $hithead. However, you're ignoring that he at first said that they had removed the risky area of the tune, then cited that area of the tune as to why he can't guarantee his tune.

And, before you flame out without the proper knowledge, or try to state something magnificent like "you have to pay to play" or "you can't expect him to warranty when you break your stuff," let me explain: I have no tune (even from Bama) and am not asking for a guarantee. Just wanted the apparent contradiction cleared up.

Cliff notes:

Shaun basically stated that he found a fix in fords tuning and that since this fix no engines with said tune have had a number 8 yet.

Tuners don't help the issue but its not mostly their fault.

Tuners didn't want the public to know the technicality behind the issue.

He will not cover blown engines if it does happen in the future.

ArtVandalay16

Established Member
I'm with slagburn, ford tests the hell out of these motors like their ecoboost before release. Is it perfect, no...but exceeding x-time Under WOT equals extreme chance of #8 failure?, seems unlikely. Most of us won't exceed such a long time frame anyway. It's obviously not power related bc FI guys are unheard of with this issue as long as there in what general consensus considers safe. I do believe that AED has a fix or an enabling pro longevity variable in their tunes b/c there are some specific tuners that have a lot more #8 failures than others...
In for more info...I'm not tuner, but I do have common sense.

Shaun@AED

Well,
The thread was started simply to give you guys a better idea what we've found.

1. Lean condition at WOT
2. Specific parameters that 'correct' this
3. It is NOT caused by tune changes any customer tuner makes

Not going to go into specifics on the exact tune changes or debate 'Warranty Racing' as I like to call it. Mod/tune/race at your own risk. It's your car, take some responsibility.

Shit breaks on my GT, I will NOT use Ford to weezle out of paying for something my actions caused the failure of.

calgarybandit

Established Member
Mod/tune/race at your own risk. It's your car, take some responsibility.

Shit breaks on my GT, I will NOT use Ford to weezle out of paying for something my actions caused the failure of.

:beer: True that!

GrabberBlue5.0

Established Member
Well,
The thread was started simply to give you guys a better idea what we've found.

1. Lean condition at WOT
2. Specific parameters that 'correct' this
3. It is NOT caused by tune changes any customer tuner makes

Not going to go into specifics on the exact tune changes or debate 'Warranty Racing' as I like to call it. Mod/tune/race at your own risk. It's your car, take some responsibility.

^agreed, everyone always wants to place blame on someone else when they **** something up

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I realize that it is the cool thing to pipe in right now and dog any questions about warranty work. Examples like "pay to play" and "don't blame others when you *** something up" . . . completely ignoring the question at hand.

I don't know Shaun or AED, and I don't have a dog in the fight. But, this thread began with the statement that a defect in the factory tune was to blame for the #8 failures, and a claim that AED's tune could be trusted because they "fixed" this problem in January 2012.

Then, when pressed, the factory tune defect that was allegedly resolved is cited as the reason why AED can't warranty the engine as Bama did.

In reality, I can understand not having the engine warranty, as it creates all kinds of financial and legal liability -- just don't try and sell your tune as safe because you fixed the #8 problem, then cite said problem as why you can't warranty the car.

EDIT: Unless the claim is that the factory tune defect might have already cause the parts to begin failure, so AED can't risk warranty even though they will fix said defect with their tune? Just a thought . . .

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
EDIT: Unless the claim is that the factory tune defect might have already cause the parts to begin failure, so AED can't risk warranty even though they will fix said defect with their tune? Just a thought . . .

this is the number 1 issue. most of the time damage has already started so why would anyone wanna warranty a problem they did not cause? Bama has already paid out a few blown engines and they also dont pay for the full replacement i have read a couple guys that bama warranty there engines an the owners still had to come out of pocket some money. i think it is nice bama is paying out something, but i think its a risk for them as there is no way in a data log to show starting issues of a number 8#. by the time someone finds out the 8# is already gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread