8.8 TrueTrac Problems?

Alexx03

Hey guys,new random member. Found this thread on google.

I have a BMW 335i with a ford 8.8 IRS differential with a truetrac,custom axles and driveshaft.

Ive gone over this thread and many others online across different forums and they all say the same about being hit or miss with noise.

My truetrac makes the clunking noise upon letting off the gas or clutching in while moving. Shops around here are telling me its NOT normal,but from what this thread and others say it is hit or miss that you get noise. The diff has been dropped and inspected twice,cars been to 3 different shops.
No one can tell me what the noise is.
Would you guys say its just my luck that its a noisy unit?

Sorry for the long post but I promise ill leave if a bmw isnt wanted around here once you guys help me out lol

keith89

Established Member

I have a BMW 335i with a ford 8.8 IRS differential with a truetrac,custom axles and driveshaft.

Ive gone over this thread and many others online across different forums and they all say the same about being hit or miss with noise.

My truetrac makes the clunking noise upon letting off the gas or clutching in while moving. Shops around here are telling me its NOT normal,but from what this thread and others say it is hit or miss that you get noise. The diff has been dropped and inspected twice,cars been to 3 different shops.

Sorry for the long post but I promise ill leave if a bmw isnt wanted around here once you guys help me out lol

You're not alone. I purchased a truetrac since I was told it was quiet. I get clunk as if there's excess backlash. My ring/pinion backlash is good but the actual truetrac worm gears are where the backlash is coming from. The issue is amplified by my carbon fiber driveshaft which doesn't do anything to dampen the noise/clunkyness.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
You're not alone. I purchased a truetrac since I was told it was quiet. I get clunk as if there's excess backlash. My ring/pinion backlash is good but the actual truetrac worm gears are where the backlash is coming from. The issue is amplified by my carbon fiber driveshaft which doesn't do anything to dampen the noise/clunkyness.

Curious on the Carbon fiber driveshaft, I've read that it suppose to help with NVH? Did you notice any benefits with the CF driveshaft? You say it doesn't do anything for dampening noise, are you referring to the clunk?

GodStang

Established Member

What fluids are you running? I have had mine installed for about 6 years and it is quiet.

Curious on the Carbon fiber driveshaft, I've read that it suppose to help with NVH? Did you notice any benefits with the CF driveshaft? You say it doesn't do anything for dampening noise, are you referring to the clunk?

I also have a CF driveshaft. 12lb lighter than stock so a little bit less rotational mass but not noticeable in the 700rw+ range. one benefit is no DS loop needed since if it brakes it shatters.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I also have a CF driveshaft. 12lb lighter than stock so a little bit less rotational mass but not noticeable in the 700rw+ range. one benefit is no DS loop needed since if it brakes it shatters.

I am considering insatlling a CF driveshaft just not sure if the cost validtes the performance gains, kind of like LT header investment?

Iam more concerned with the effectiveness of the CF driveshaft controling the NVH.

GodStang

Established Member
I am considering insatlling a CF driveshaft just not sure if the cost validtes the performance gains, kind of like LT header investment?

Iam more concerned with the effectiveness of the CF driveshaft controling the NVH.

I would do LTs over and over again. Would never do a build with out them. CF drive shaft so far down my list. On a future build I would only do it if my stock one got damaged.

I got caught up years ago in a group purchase for the drive shaft.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I clearly understand and see you guys point on the LTs if my car was a full time track car, and i intended to make outrageous HP #s I can justify cost. But you have to admit a good set of LTs are pricey and lets not forget they are pia to install.

I see plenty of people on here making good power on these cars with out the LTs. Dont get me wrong I love the way it sounds and realize the benefits from them. But i can also do with out the scrapping on speed bumps or even in my own driveway.

keith89

Established Member

the CF driveshaft amplifies noise because it does not flex like aluminum. the clunkiness is definitely amplified. however, rotational vibration is nonexistent.

Users who are viewing this thread