8.8 rear end mods/beef

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
Looking to beef up the rear end in my 2013 5.0. At the moment it's stock w/ 3.31's. bare with me here as I have no experience with the ford 8.8!
The car is/will be sporting full bolt on and a 100 shot. What all is recomended to beef up and keep the rear end in check when running slicks/dr's at the track? I know a 1 pcs ds and better clutch (hopefully the mt-82 stays together) are a no brainier. Diff mods, tube welding, bracing,??
Any info or links would be appreciated

Benchracer

Established Member
I just posted a thread similar to this because mine finally broke after 3 years of 6000+rpm launches and 1/3 of them were 5500 rpm with a 125-150shot launches on slicks. Everything in the whole drivetrain was bone stock. I finally broke mine when I attempted a 5100 rpm launch with a 200 shot and a mcleod rxt clutch. Broke the spider gears

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
After shattering my spider gears I just went with the eaton tru trac and love it and no problem since!!

prollynotjeff

Established Member
I added a CHE axle Brace to help from twisting the tubes in the rear. It was pretty inexpensive around $200 I think.

implosive

Established Member
Yeah it'll take you a while to break this rear with just a 100 shot and bolt ons. Shit does happen though

twistedneck

Established Member
what about welding the axle tubes? and would a cradle support type diff cover help to stop the gear fracturing?

01bluesnake

Established Member
what about welding the axle tubes? and would a cradle support type diff cover help to stop the gear fracturing?

I always recommend welding the axle tubes, it will help keep them from spinning and bending as its commonly referred to. A rear cover with a brace setup like the LPW is another mod i have personally used and recommend to help cut down on movement of the tubes. CHE also makes a nice rear brace, but not sure it works with lower arm relo brackets as i believe it uses the mounting area. The rear cover won't help from shattering diff spider gears, thats caused by clutch pack wear allowing more gap between the gear mesh. When you leave hard and one tire grabs before the other even if not noticeable, will allow the teeth to slap and sheer or shatter the gears.

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I need to order some new diff clutches today. Does anybody have any feedback on the longevity of the carbon clutches used in the 3.73 cars vs the paper clutches in all the other diffs?

prollynotjeff

Established Member
I always recommend welding the axle tubes, it will help keep them from spinning and bending as its commonly referred to. A rear cover with a brace setup like the LPW is another mod i have personally used and recommend to help cut down on movement of the tubes. CHE also makes a nice rear brace, but not sure it works with lower arm relo brackets as i believe it uses the mounting area. The rear cover won't help from shattering diff spider gears, thats caused by clutch pack wear allowing more gap between the gear mesh. When you leave hard and one tire grabs before the other even if not noticeable, will allow the teeth to slap and sheer or shatter the gears.

I also have relocation brackets with my CHE brace, not sure all brand will work. I picked my stuff up from Mike @ powerhouse I see your in Ohio he is also right on the Ohio/PA border.

ebrow21

Established Member
CHE axle brace/CHE relocation brackets/LCA/Strano Swaybar here for rear suspension. If you run this with a 15x10 wheel, be prepared to bend the swaybar, or in my case, buy a Strano Adjustable rear swaybar. It is very close, but works. Most other relocation brackets will not work with the CHE axle brace.

You do NOT have to buy swaybar relocation brackets if you purchase that combination of parts. The Strano bar comes with its own mount.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread