73k changing motor oil

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
I sure did.

The long term cost of "top tier" oil far outweighs the cost of what you could do to your car to gain even more than 1-2% in power.

Should you be perma-banned? Nah.

Mystic03

Established Member
I sure did.

The long term cost of "top tier" oil far outweighs the cost of what you could do to your car to gain even more than 1-2% in power.

Should you be perma-banned? Nah.

i guess you don't like to increase protection and reliability when increasing power. its simple more power=more friction and heat

Last edited:

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Ah!

There was a person on another forum stating that the 4.6 Modular Engine was designed for 5-20....and the Ford Dealership also confirmed it. He stated that anything with a higher viscosity, does not allow the oil to travel where it "needs to be" at a high enough rate. I think I am going to take his advice and swap to 5-20 instead of 5-30...

On the same forum, another member stated that the Motorcraft Filter is junk...and people who chose a Motorcraft filter over a K&N are "stupid". I am going to next day air a K&N, I have been stupid for too long dammit.

On another forum, there was a person that claimed that the 4032 pistons in the Cobra engine cannot handle over 600rwhp, because they are brittle. I think I am going to pulley "up" tonight, to make about 590rwhp.

If there is one thing I have learned, it is, if someone on a forum tells you something, believe it and act accordingly.

Let me know what oil to use, as I am about to go out in my garage and make my car more better.:beer:

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
Ah!

There was a person on another forum stating that the 4.6 Modular Engine was designed for 5-20....and the Ford Dealership also confirmed it. He stated that anything with a higher viscosity, does not allow the oil to travel where it "needs to be" at a high enough rate. I think I am going to take his advice and swap to 5-20 instead of 5-30...

On the same forum, another member stated that the Motorcraft Filter is junk...and people who chose a Motorcraft filter over a K&N are "stupid". I am going to next day air a K&N, I have been stupid for too long dammit.

On another forum, there was a person that claimed that the 4032 pistons in the Cobra engine cannot handle over 600rwhp, because they are brittle. I think I am going to pulley "up" tonight, to make about 590rwhp.

If there is one thing I have learned, it is, if someone on a forum tells you something, believe it and act accordingly.

Let me know what oil to use, as I am about to go out in my garage and make my car more better.:beer:

:rollseyes

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Rolling your eyes is not helping.

What oil is it that you recommend for my high mileage Cobra? Redline 5-20? 5-30? Pennz Platinum/Ultra?

What about the German Castrols?

LMK

SVTDice

Established Member
Rolling your eyes is not helping.

What oil is it that you recommend for my high mileage Cobra? Redline 5-20? 5-30? Pennz Platinum/Ultra?

What about the German Castrols?

LMK

Alright, Here's what I suggest. I'll make this as simple as possible and if you want a extremely lengthy explanation. I can do that as well.

Amsoil Signature Series, Or Royal Purple HPS 10w30. Your choice. Since you live in Florida 10w30 Will be perfect year around. It has a pour point of -54F.
Amsoil EaO Oil filter or RP Variant. Both extremely high quality.

German Castrols are quite a robust oil. However goodluck finding it. I'm not a fan of Redline, Its also more expensive then Amsoil Or RP. Pennzoil Ultra is a decent oil. I personally wouldnt use it in my Cobra. I have used it in my 03 Element. It works good. But recently its been using oil. I don't think I'd use Pennzoil again due to that factor. Take it as you wish.

Anyways, Hopes this helps. :coolman:

gen.turner

4V N/A Power
Established Member
You can switch from a conventional oil to a synthetic and switch back at any time. Just don't make a habit of always switching brands.

Switching between brands of oil every other oil change is not considered a best practice. Eventually you could have some additive conflict and end up with some goo in your engine.

This is mostly likely where the myth that once you switch you can't ever go back came from.

This is dead on. These are the nuggets of positive intelligence/wisdom that this site is made for.

The reason that people say that you should not switch brands back and forth alot is due to the different mineral and additive packages that oil companies use to allow their oils to resist breakdown whilst coating the cylinders and leaving protective film on the bearings. Think of it this way if you put oil "blue" in your engine then, over time the additive packages in the oil will create a protective film on the cylinder walls and bearing/other wear surfaces. Then say you decide to switch to oil "green", because of price/availability/wieght whatever, the problem exists that the additives in the oil could "clean" the protective coating of oil "blue" to replace it with "green" protective coatings. This will lead to a short period of cylinder and bearing wear surfaces being succeptable to increased wear during the transition. Obviously I cannot document/cite specific scientific studies to support my statement but the generally accepted rule is pick an oil and stick to it. The "gunk" you are referring to could be a mixture of the cleaning agents doing their job removing the previous additived from the wear surfaces and actual soot from combustion/normal wear.

Also the viscosity plays an important role in the 4V because of the hydraulic followers and hydraulic chain tensioners require lubrication without restriction to flow. After xxx thousand miles I seriously doubt that your clearances are the same as new. The good news is that unless you have the new VVTi hydraulic phased cams,which relies on different oil pressures to change the phasing of the camshaft to load, changing up or down 10W shouldnt be a factor.

The main point is find something your comfortable paying for every oil change and use that oil. I've seen way to many people change their oil brand every time they change their oil based on their budget. Do your own research, make your own decision. Every one has a different combination/goal/idea of what they want out of thier car.

I figured the explanation would stop this from seeming like my personal preferance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread