73k changing motor oil

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
Are there any negative affects of changing from one synthetic to another at this stage in the cars life. The previous owner doesnt know/remember what oil was used :nonono: Any suggestions would be helpful. Im going with RP HPS 5W-30

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
yea, its personal preference at this point. In reality not a big difference
edit: unless someone wants to educate me as to why I shouldnt do this, never had a problem doing it

Last edited:

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
I have used 5w-30 once because there wasn't any 5w-20 around where I was. No difference that I can tell and I'm sure that's a very small difference. I myself would like to get educated on the difference and if it matters. My car just hit 89k

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
From what I understand if the car is driven "harder" then the 5w30 is a little better because of the viscosity of the oil and the thicker film it leaves. Rumours have it is that the only reason they use 5w20 is because you get very very very very very little more gas mileage. Just some crap I've read before. We had a 5.7 magnum rt, recommended 5w20, we ran 5w30 for the entire 100k we had it and we beat the piss out of it. Needless to say we never had any problems with the motor

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
Switching brands shouldn't make a difference, I have used Mobil 1 5w 20 so far and have not had any issues whatsoever. I don't run the crap out it, but it is driven hard at times

selbyvince

Established Member
my tuner recommends amsoil, so i made the switch from a long time user of royal purple. they said that royal purple wasnt something they recommend, but for the life of me i cant remember what his reasons were. but he had a few, and he felt very strongly about it. so i quit using it.

Mystic03

Established Member
my tuner recommends amsoil, so i made the switch from a long time user of royal purple. they said that royal purple wasnt something they recommend, but for the life of me i cant remember what his reasons were. but he had a few, and he felt very strongly about it. so i quit using it.

not sure why everyone says that. RP is a great oil especially the HPS when it has just about the same contents as their racing XPR oil which is HIGH! but i guess each to their own

prostkr

Established Member
The reason to not switch viscosity's is the fact that Ford designed your chain tensioners and cam followers to use a specific weight oil. These are not small block chebbbys so thicker is not better.

blwn89gt

Established Member
RP user here too. I put in 5w30 also cause they didnt have any 5w20 on the shelf. When my buddy owned it he always put full mobil 1 synthetic in. For the extra 8$ il run the RP.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Switching brands is fine, just don't switch between synthetic and non or blend. My engine builder says the oil will gum up and not lube like its supposed to and could clog oil pickup. Just stick to full synthetic and you will be fine.

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
Just changed everything out. Ran her for 40-50 miles, only time will tell lol
P.S base auto shop is so nice, lifts, lifts everywhere. Makes life easier

20130112105431.jpg

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
With my Mach the previous owner only use royal purple so that's what I ran. S far as my cobra I'm running what the previous owner ran which is 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic.

IMO it wouldn't hurt the car at all to switch oils.

I ran 5w-20 once and that's when I killed a couple pistons (intercooler pump failure). MHP told me after my engine rebuild to only run 5w-30. That's all that goes in now.

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
With my Mach the previous owner only use royal purple so that's what I ran. S far as my cobra I'm running what the previous owner ran which is 5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic.

IMO it wouldn't hurt the car at all to switch oils.

I ran 5w-20 once and that's when I killed a couple pistons (intercooler pump failure). MHP told me after my engine rebuild to only run 5w-30. That's all that goes in now.

I ran 5w20 in my gt and I had the motor go two or three times. But that car was cursed tho

Users who are viewing this thread