$7 Tune Up!

Vib_93

Established Member
I am sure others have written about this but I thought it was worth a quick thread. My 130,000 mile Cobra had started to run like crap when cold and at anything above about 3000 rpm it would just lay down on full throttle. I had exhausted most of my normal options (Plugs Wires, Cap, Rotor, Fuel filter, Seafoam etc.) when I came across a thread about cleaning the MAF meter. I bought a can of CRC Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner at the parts store and pulled the meter out and gave it a really good spray of this stuff. WOW! Simply unbelievable results. Car runs better all over the place now. Best $7 I have ever spent! Just be careful around the Heated wires they are super fine and even a slight contact could break them.

buddha93

Established Member
Glad you got it figured out. Rarely is that the issue, but I'm glad you found it to be yours.

kcp203

Established Member
Glad you got it figured out. Rarely is that the issue, but I'm glad you found it to be yours.

I would not say it is that rare.

I had serious problems with my wife's car, computer codes were showing very lean bank 2. Spent $150 on new 02 sensors, which didn't fix it. Then I figured it must be a serious vacuum leak. Took half the engine apart to change gaskets, checked all vacuum lines, still ran like s**t.

In the end, same fix. A spray of MAF cleaner made it run like new.

I think the new k&n filter I had put in had thrown off a bit of oil that fouled the wire.

WillyB93

Established Member
Thanks for the interesting post, my friend has been having problems with his GT might have to tell him to try this.

buddha93

Established Member
I would not say it is that rare.

I had serious problems with my wife's car, computer codes were showing very lean bank 2. Spent $150 on new 02 sensors, which didn't fix it. Then I figured it must be a serious vacuum leak. Took half the engine apart to change gaskets, checked all vacuum lines, still ran like s**t.

In the end, same fix. A spray of MAF cleaner made it run like new.

I think the new k&n filter I had put in had thrown off a bit of oil that fouled the wire.

All I'm saying is that is usually one of the first places guys look, and 9 times out of 10 it ends up being something else. It's still good to keep posts like this going to to help out fellow garage mechanics.

racerbox77

Established Member
Defiantly a good thing to clean or look at after you re-oil your K&N filter. FYI I stopped oiling my K&N's years ago. Just use the cleaner and wash it. Then air dry it and install. No oil to foul out the mass air and they flow better dry.

sent from my EVO 3D

Vib_93

Established Member
I sort of think that the Oil from the K&N may have been at least a contributor as well. All I know is the car is running like new now. Really didn't realize it had gotten that bad. Now my gas mileage has taken a nose dive because of my rekindled exuberance.:burnout:

racerbox77

Established Member
The fact that you observe your Cobra MPG at all is surprising. :dw: I don't care what my MPG is. I just know every time I take it out I gotta put gas in it!:dancenana:

Last edited:

delvin.a

Established Member
The fact that you observe your Cobra MPG at all is surprising. :dw: I don't care what my MPG is. I just know every time I take it out I gotta put gas in it!:dancenana:

For reals! It seems like every time I take it out the first stop is a gas station.

Edit: I didn't realize how old this thread was

Last edited:

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
yup did that on my L. had codes and sprayed some crc maf cleaner and changed to a non oil filter. codes cleared after

Users who are viewing this thread