7.3L Godzilla Ford V8 Bottom End Teardown — How Big Can this Engine GO? Crank, Rods, Piston, Block

triple-s

Established Member
I think one question would be how much can we get it for. What would be the final price after building it.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Those rods look mighty thin and the cylinder walls look super thin.

I've got to agree with the builder, it will hold up to mild boost or an all-motor build, but I'd be leery going full tilt on a big boost setup.

On the other hand, for guys wanting stump pulling torque, slap a screwcharger on it at 6-psi and it'll roast the tires off from idle.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
While a new big displacement pushrod motor is neat and was needed in the SD, outside that where does this engine have an advantage? For old school cars why would you pick this over a BBF? For anything new why would you use this over a coyote? Unless you just want to be different.
But who knows, lets see what the aftermarket does. But I have a feeling it'll be right up there with the full effort 6.2l Mod motors, as far as being relevant.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
While a new big displacement pushrod motor is neat and was needed in the SD, outside that where does this engine have an advantage? For old school cars why would you pick this over a BBF? For anything new why would you use this over a coyote? Unless you just want to be different.
But who knows, lets see what the aftermarket does. But I have a feeling it'll be right up there with the full effort 6.2l Mod motors, as far as being relevant.

Packaging, cost, simplicity, power:dollar ratio.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Packaging, cost, simplicity, power:dollar ratio.
Packaging, Ok I guess it depends on the application.
Cost, Remains to be seen.
Simplicity, sure.
Power/Dollar ratio. I'd wager you'd be better off with a SBF or BBF.
I do however think it'd be a great re-power option for all those 87-97 F250/F350 460 lugs maybe even the V10.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Simplicity, sure.
I do however think it'd be a great re-power option for all those 87-97 F250/F350 460 lugs maybe even the V10.

How about all those clapped out V10 RVs out there? I'm hoping Crusader builds them into boat engines.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
How about all those clapped out V10 RVs out there? I'm hoping Crusader builds them into boat engines.

Hmm.......What is the go to gas boat engine nowadays? It used to be 454's then 502's.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Hmm.......What is the go to gas boat engine nowadays? It used to be 454's then 502's.

Mercruiser builds their own engines based on GM big and small block architecture (and some parts). Volvo just marinizes GM's DI LT engines.

Big outboards on a bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Pretty much this. In boards are not all that popular anymore.

Swine

Established Member
I know cost, simplicity, and long term reliability is challenged some, but i would have loved to have seen this engine DI and a compression bump.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Mercruiser builds their own engines based on GM big and small block architecture (and some parts). Volvo just marinizes GM's DI LT engines.

Pretty much this. In boards are not all that popular anymore.
Can you still get LT5 parts from Merc?

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
On a related note, this engine would make a great mill for Foxbodies.

Overall, with a mild all-motor build, you've got a 500+hp engine that would be perfect for any restomod project.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
On a related note, this engine would make a great mill for Foxbodies.

Overall, with a mild all-motor build, you've got a 500+hp engine that would be perfect for any restomod project.

But why would you go the 7.3 route when you could do this? And have 50 years of proven knowledge and part accessibility. Transmission options, K'memebers, etc. Again where is the advantage. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m6007z2363rt

How much is the 7.3 as a crate motor?

Last edited:

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
But why would you go the 7.3 route when you could do this? And have 50 years of proven knowledge and part accessibility. Again where is the advantage. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m6007z2363rt
Less issues like leaking main seals and oil pans maybe? Just overall less headache than when dealing with all the issues SBCs and BBCs had (and still have). Cooling jackets on that thing look substantial, so it should hold up to a regular beating much better.

Plus. once these things start hitting junkyards, the engines will be dirt cheap.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Considering a SBF needs an aftermarket block, there goes that theory.

Simplicity, sure.

Papaw

Established Member
1595362-4cd250f1888fd0c755fecbe4ad6c0a93.jpg

I could also see a lot of people replacing their LS based coffee tables too!

Attachments

• xMrgB.jpg
    xMrgB.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 210

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

True, but also remember that Mercury Racing makes their own twin turbo, 9.0L V8 sterndrives for offshore powerboats. Up to 1550 hp in consumer boats and 1750 in race trim. Crazy levels of power!

Wish they'd cutout the music on this video

john11gt

Established Member
Simplicity, sure.

The cost will be fairly low after time when these start hitting the junkyard.
Power to dollar ratio should be better with these, at least to a point. This engine comes with aluminum heads already and with a good port job, big cam and intake, I’m confident we’ll see 600whp pretty easily. Now go price a good set of aluminum heads for a 351/460 that flow 360cfm ootb.

I want to see this engine with a donkey dick solid roller cam, serious port job, 13:1 compression and a single plane. Did anyone catch the compression ratio for this engine?

Users who are viewing this thread