Votes: 25 65.8%
  • 392 Wrangler / Gladiator

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Thats sick, any way to get some pictures.

I had to do some digging thru some really old text messages but I found these 2 pics of it. The owner has some money and my friend told me this is like his 2nd or 3rd swapped one.

6f076a593daa66c843605247300eb8a1.jpg
a021da6bf2d447e1f9f981f873cac517.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I had to do some digging thru some really old text messages but I found these 2 pics of it. The owner has some money and my friend told me this is like his 2nd or 3rd swapped one.

View attachment 1651554View attachment 1651555

Love it, that must be a blast to put your foot in it.

Cant wait for someone todo that to a bronco with the 7.3 or the 5.0.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Love it, that must be a blast to put your foot in it.

Cant wait for someone todo that to a bronco with the 7.3 or the 5.0.

The funny part is my friends a ford guy and works as a Nissan tech. He’s aware of other manufacturers and has heard that FCA has been stepping up their game and throwing power at everything but didn’t realize this one was hemi swapped. He turned it on and just thought it had a muffler in it and was all bark. He drove it into the shop to work on it (change the shocks to different custom valved ones) and he said it was very peppy and thought Jeep had put a big V6 into it and had aggressive gearing with those tires. Then he gets out and notices the 392 badging and pops the hood and sees a V8 stuffed in there. He sent me the pic of the Jeep with a “when you see it caption”.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The funny part is my friends a ford guy and works as a Nissan tech. He’s aware of other manufacturers and has heard that FCA has been stepping up their game and throwing power at everything but didn’t realize this one was hemi swapped. He turned it on and just thought it had a muffler in it and was all bark. He drove it into the shop to work on it (change the shocks to different custom valved ones) and he said it was very peppy and thought Jeep had put a big V6 into it and had aggressive gearing with those tires. Then he gets out and notices the 392 badging and pops the hood and sees a V8 stuffed in there. He sent me the pic of the Jeep with a “when you see it caption”.

He would be a great selling point for Jeep. Because lets be real who doesn't want a 392 in there jeep.

Well unfortunately alot of Ford guys have been looking at FCA lately. Because they are offering the big V8 we love in most of there line up.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
He would be a great selling point for Jeep. Because lets be real who doesn't want a 392 in there jeep.

Well unfortunately alot of Ford guys have been looking at FCA lately. Because they are offering the big V8 we love in most of there line up.

It really is disappointing they are turning away from the V8’s. A 392 wrangler would sell like hot cakes and I bet they would sell every last one of them too. People buy them like crazy with a V6, imagine how it would sell with a V8.

john11gt

Established Member
It really is disappointing they are turning away from the V8’s. A 392 wrangler would sell like hot cakes and I bet they would sell every last one of them too. People buy them like crazy with a V6, imagine how it would sell with a V8.

I was just thinking whatever jeep would lose to the bronco, it would make up for with and probably make more Money from a 392 wrangler.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
They can't do a Hellcat Wrangler due to cooling issues. That's why they have the 392 concept because it is the largest they can go, but even then they had to revise the frame and a bunch of other things. Hellcat motor won't work from the factory though.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I haven't sat in a Jeep Wrangler yet that I liked, including the new ones. I rent them only when they don't have something more comfortable that I can drive on third world roads.

venmos1

Established Member
I haven't sat in a Jeep Wrangler yet that I liked, including the new ones. I rent them only when they don't have something more comfortable that I can drive on third world roads.

Im with you. my mom has one. we threw on a set of fuel wheels and 33x11.5 tires. It looks great. but im not impressed with it it all. we have been offroad (not rock crawling, just taking my kids through mud puddles stuff) and i really do not like it. i hate the tiny rear doors and they are everywhere. It seems like 90 percent are lifted with wheels and tires. I love v8s and the idea of a v8 in a wrangler, but i dont care for the wranglers and i also do not want to invest in another ticking hemi. They need to address the cam/lifter issues before i buy another. Currently have a 14 5.7 ram with 87k miles. My 3rd ram with the hemi.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Im with you. my mom has one. we threw on a set of fuel wheels and 33x11.5 tires. It looks great. but im not impressed with it it all. we have been offroad (not rock crawling, just taking my kids through mud puddles stuff) and i really do not like it. i hate the tiny rear doors and they are everywhere. It seems like 90 percent are lifted with wheels and tires. I love v8s and the idea of a v8 in a wrangler, but i dont care for the wranglers and i also do not want to invest in another ticking hemi. They need to address the cam/lifter issues before i buy another. Currently have a 14 5.7 ram with 87k miles. My 3rd ram with the hemi.

I'll never own anything Hemi or even any of their smaller engines either. They are the worst out there because of those issues.

venmos1

Established Member
I'll never own anything Hemi or even any of their smaller engines either. They are the worst out there because of those issues.

Yep. people like to down play it...look how few go bad and how many are made. But there are many many that go bad that have been done and nothing is said about it. its a common problem period. The worst is you can pay for new cam/lifters and still have it tick. nice....thankfully ive spent a lot of time on the ramforum and learned its issues. ive swapped to redline 5w30 oil which took my tick away and use a quality synthetic oil filter. plus i dont let it run below 1500 rpms much. My last 2 used oil analysis (first after 7300 miles and then 8400 miles) show very low wear. so, so far im good. but im still not too confident. i love the way these rams ride. i have found nothing that rides and feels like they do. Its lifted 4" on a rough country lift on 35s and still rides better than everything ive been in. ive been in mostly all trucks. mine is a sport and has everything you need (heated cooled seats, leather, heated steering wheel, etc). but the engine is kinda important. my next truck needs to last and i cant chance the hemi.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Yep. people like to down play it...look how few go bad and how many are made. But there are many many that go bad that have been done and nothing is said about it. its a common problem period. The worst is you can pay for new cam/lifters and still have it tick. nice....thankfully ive spent a lot of time on the ramforum and learned its issues. ive swapped to redline 5w30 oil which took my tick away and use a quality synthetic oil filter. plus i dont let it run below 1500 rpms much. My last 2 used oil analysis (first after 7300 miles and then 8400 miles) show very low wear. so, so far im good. but im still not too confident. i love the way these rams ride. i have found nothing that rides and feels like they do. Its lifted 4" on a rough country lift on 35s and still rides better than everything ive been in. ive been in mostly all trucks. mine is a sport and has everything you need (heated cooled seats, leather, heated steering wheel, etc). but the engine is kinda important. my next truck needs to last and i cant chance the hemi.

I posted a big long post about our experiences with Hemi motors at our shop and how we are done with them. Each one has bit us in the ass with exactly what you said. You replace the rockers and you get done and all the sudden there is a new ticking coming from the bottom end that wasn't there before. We even had visual confirmation that the rocker arms were damaged yet a wrist pin decided it was going to go bad as soon as we finished the job.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Do they have the low oil pressure like the 3v 5.4?

I knew about the new cam and lifter updates.

2 of my friends that have rams with the 5.7 one is a 2008 other is a 2013 both have the tick. 2013 is at 33k miles the 2008 is at 60k.

My94GT

Established Member
I posted a big long post about our experiences with Hemi motors at our shop and how we are done with them. Each one has bit us in the ass with exactly what you said. You replace the rockers and you get done and all the sudden there is a new ticking coming from the bottom end that wasn't there before. We even had visual confirmation that the rocker arms were damaged yet a wrist pin decided it was going to go bad as soon as we finished the job.

that is my only worry I have with my current 19 ram. I have 46k miles on it and it’s had the tick since damn near day one. I’ll give it credit though, so far I beat pretty hard on it and it’s been problem free. I figure if the 5.7 kicks it after my 60k powertrain warranty I’d likely look into dropping a 392 in it as They aren’t too expensive used and apparently are a straight forward swap.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member

2 of my friends that have rams with the 5.7 one is a 2008 other is a 2013 both have the tick. 2013 is at 33k miles the 2008 is at 60k.

FCA motors have major issues with the valvetrain in general. The 3V Ford cam phaser issue can be prevented by using the correct filter and good oil and changing your oil on the dot every interval. The other Jeep that bit us in the ass is a 3.2 V6 from a Cherokee. They have a common issue that causes the roller to damage the camshaft lobes in which it really tears into the cam and it starts as a ticking. The debris that comes off of there clogs up the passageways, and like it did to us, it seized the camshafts causing all 4 VVT sprockets to snap in half while damaging the new camshaft in the process. The customer brought the car into us before this happened so we installed new heads and everything and while on the test drive I guess a piece of debris from before got sucked up into the oil passage and caused the camshaft to seize from oil starvation. We are in the process of fixing that one now which was just an unlucky chance occurrence that it happened to us.

Other common issues with FCA vehicles: The 3.6 V6 in the Durango and G Cherokee both have condensers that also contain the transmission oil cooler and those like to leak causing transmissions to be damaged. The Durangos also have an alternator issue that is a recall, but they like to burn up and catch fire when the vehicle isn't even running. We had this happen to us with a customer and it ended up frying his PCM and it's looking like it did more than that possibly. I've replaced the PCM in his Durango twice now and he is still experiencing the fans being run at 100% duty cycle all the time. It states that the PCM is sending the command so it must be the PCM but because we have replaced it and it is still occurring then it has to be something else. We'll get it to act normal but then it goes right back to 100% and it sounds like a 747 taking off everywhere you drive it lol.

It's issues like that that we only see with FCA vehicles. A lot of them start as regular issues that most cars see at some point, but with FCA they turn into complete nightmares. We've lost tons of money on them due to just unforseen circumstances. I've talked to dealers and other shops and they say the same thing.

venmos1

Established Member
that is my only worry I have with my current 19 ram. I have 46k miles on it and it’s had the tick since damn near day one. I’ll give it credit though, so far I beat pretty hard on it and it’s been problem free. I figure if the 5.7 kicks it after my 60k powertrain warranty I’d likely look into dropping a 392 in it as They aren’t too expensive used and apparently are a straight forward swap.

It is not an approved oil but I highly highly recommend you switch to redline 5w30. These hemis need moly. Redline is high in it. I also use a royal purple 20820 oil filter. Top of the line filter. Driving them harder is good. Their issue is oiling not splashing around enough. More throttling the better. It's the hot idling and low rpm driving (or highway) a lot that does them in imo. Also fca says 5w20 oil. That's too light. They used to say 5w30 for the hemi. All they care about is cafe and mpg. These 8 speeds are great. But constantly keep you in low rpm. Also, many people are seeing good results with going with 7.5 qts of oil. I have not done that but I have 7qts and a bottle of lubeguard.

venmos1

Established Member

Not that I see. The oil pressure stays pretty high until prolonged hot idling. There was a video kicking around showing how down in the valley there is a channel that blocks oil from splashing up and keeping things lubricated. So high idling and low rpm driving doesn't lubricate properly. And imo 20 wt oil is too thin. I've been through 2 winters with 5w30 and no issues. Plus oci of 7300 and 8400 miles with very low wear numbers. Blackstone recommended I go out to 10k as I still had plenty left.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
Unless Ford regains the spirit that made them great in the past with Iconic vehicles like the Mustang, the Bronco, the Lightning, and form partnerships with the likes of Shelby and Rousch, they will not recover from their current dire financial situation.

Ford used to have a V-8 as the top motor option in most of their models, and definitely in all their performance models. I am fine with a turbo 4 or turbo 6, as well as supercharged 6 like the T-bird SC, but a V-8 should always be the top option.

Unless Ford can find the hot-rod spirit again, they aren't going to last. At the very least they are going to lose the customers that helped make then such a success. No more Mach-E crap called a Mustang, etc.

I say that as a life-long Ford fan that has owned many Mustangs, and other Fords since the mid-1980's.

Users who are viewing this thread