6r80 valve body issues?

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
Anyone experienced issues with the 6r80 valve body yet? My 2011 has 95k miles with basic bolt ons (boss, cai, e85) and a Lund flex fuel tune, and is starting to show signs of issues that I can't seem to find by googling or searching. To my knowledge the tranny fluid is the original fluid from Ford. I bought the car with 32k miles, don't know history before my purchase.

Issues started about 5 months when doing a roll race against a friend in Mexico. we were at 40 mph, I had the car in D, hammered the gas, and instead of just dropping from 6 to 2 and going, I felt it shift down each gear, and by the time I hit 2nd and the car launched, he was gone. Did a rematch, and I dropped the car into 2nd manually, but RPMs never hit the 4000 rpm launch speed that I'm used to. After getting my ass handed to me, I left, but replicated the situation and at 40 I put it in 2nd and rpms jumped to 4000 where they should be. Car doesn't do it all the time, but does seem to in the most inopportune times.

Yesterday, I went to leave in the morning and it was 11 degrees. Car was parked outside, started the car, let it warm up for 5 minutes, put it in reverse, pushed the gas, and nothing happened. Engine rpms wouldn't go above 2000 rpm and car wasn't moving. It also felt like an electronic transbrake with reverse and 1st engaged. Put it back in Park, let it sit another minute, put it back in Reverse and it backed up fine. Put it in D, and it did the same as before. Once it warmed up it seemed to be fine.

I've heard anything from fluid/filter change, to clutch packs, to rebuilding the valve body, and while I know at 100k miles, things are gonna start wearing, but I don't want to just throw money at it without first knowing the actual issue. I do have a 100k mile "unconditional" warranty that I have used a few times already while modded and had no issues, but I'd hate to take it in and have them inspect it and then get charged $400 for a fluid change when I could've done it myself with better fluid for 1/3 the price.

Opinions? Car is daily driven, has been tuned since 2012, and never had an issue like this until earlier last year. Has only been to the drag strip a handful times, but it does see spirited play on the highway.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
First step I would take: drop the pan and look at the fluid and the magnets. Maybe the car had a blower on it before you bought it. I bet you find glitter in the fluid, which is from the clutches.

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
I honestly wouldn't doubt if it did. When I bought it and started doing stuff, I found weird things, like the bolts on the midpipe were rounded off before I even started, the LCAs were lose, etc.

Guess I'll be dropping the pan soon. About how much oil fits in the pan?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
6R80 does not have a traditional valve body. You need a tech who knows how to work on that tranny.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't own one, but work the back counter and we sell a fair amount of valve bodies for our volume of dealer. Also sell lots of lead frames. I have gone out and seen when the techs drop a valve body and there are metal shavings throughout the internals of the valve body. Those end up getting a reman transmission.

466roller

Established Member
start with a fluid and filter change and go from there. When you drop the pan you'll find out if it needs anything more. Make sure to get yourself a pump for the quart sized bottles to do the refill/top off

Billgluckman

Established Member
I've got a 2014 and it will do the same thing you described on a wot downshift. I contacted lund and they said they'd never encountered the issue, and that I should try reloading my tune. I did so, and the problem went away for a few days, but it's doing the same thing again.

My car only has 30k miles. I don't think it's mechanical issue. I think it has something to do with the drive by wire and all the stupid electronics on these cars. Try re loading your tune and see what happens. I know it's hard to test because it doesn't act up every time you nail it but when i did this I went out on a long ride and punched it several times and it worked perfect every single time.

Maybe we should talk to more people with autos and a lund tune...I'm not saying they are to blame, but who knows.

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
Yea I reloaded the tune today to dial in my speedo, but didn't make a change.

Im pulling the #47 fuse here in a little bit to reset the TCM adaptive learning, will report back if that fixes it. I spoke to a few more veterans today that say it sounds like a signal mismatch more than a mechanical error.

Billgluckman

Established Member
6R80 and Lund tune, I haven't experienced this particular issue

Cool, I just read of another person having the issue that is aed tuned.

Yea I reloaded the tune today to dial in my speedo, but didn't make a change.

Im pulling the #47 fuse here in a little bit to reset the TCM adaptive learning, will report back if that fixes it. I spoke to a few more veterans today that say it sounds like a signal mismatch more than a mechanical error.

I've tried that as well. I thought it helped but the second time I pulled the fuse I drove about 40 miles to a friends house and when we went for a ride it did it was acting up again.

Also what signals are we talking about?

Last edited:

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
Yes, and in the most inconvenient times.

So i pulled #47 out for 10 minutes and reset KAM. car pulls hard again, no lag. But still gonna flush the fluid soon.

Billgluckman

Established Member
Yeah my car has made an ass out of me twice. Both times beside 4 door trucks. It upshifts and pulls flawlessly from a stop every time though.

I need to flush soon too but I really doubt it will change anything. It just seem like an electronic problem to me.

FiveLeeter918

OK Performance Fords
Established Member
sorry to resurrect, but I wanted to update. I switched from Lund to Bama (my friend is their new senior calibrator and I've been helping him test some things) and I haven't had the issue since switching to Bama.

I'm convinced it's something Lund has it in the tune that my car isn't agreeing with. Been Bama tuned for about 6 months and no trans issues whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread