6r80 transmission skips 4th, goes to 5th, but indicates 4th on the dash....

Duane Black

Established Member
I know, I know... the right answer is get a third pedal and an MT82....

This is only happening in road course/track day scenarios (the only time I really use select shift....)

2013 V6 auto....

But here's teh deal... happened once at Daytona back in October... usually on the first lap or so while the transmission isn't up to temp. I'm in 3rd, roaring down a straightaway, and I shift to 4th. However, the car briefly or maybe skips 4th (I can't tell in the video or while driving how long it is, or if it isin 4th) and it goes to 5th. The dial will still indicate I'm in 4th, but the RPM clearly mean I am in 5th.

Upon the next brake zone, I'll push the button for a downshift and it will go to 3rd gear, and after that it ahsn't been a problem for the rest of the session.

In normal driving, it's never shifted rough/slipped/anything wrong that I've noticed....

It could quite honestly use a transmission fluid flush....

But is this a sign hte transmission is going? I wouldn't think so since nothing feels mechanically wrong, and I've read somewhere that a control solenoid can go bad on these thigns, so I'm hoping thats the problem (I'm assuming a module is cheaper than the whole unit...)

Thoughts?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Hows the fluid temp when this is happening? Any modifications to the car?

Duane Black

Established Member
Take the tune off

The cars undrivable on track based on slow shifts (as in, you shift, car waite 4 seconds, then shifts) on the stock tune. . Plus, that tune has been in for 4 years, its never been an issue until now....

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The cars undrivable based on slow shifts. Plus, that tune has been in for 4 years, its never been an issue until now....

How many miles? Have you ever had the transmission fluid and filter change.

Also if you are trying to diagnose the issue taking the tune off would be a good start.

Users who are viewing this thread