6R80 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Car is currently in the shop. Should be done by the weekend. I’ll post a video and some pictures over the weekend after I get it out and make sure the tune is all sorted out

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Slight hold up. I was missing the torque converter bolts so they will be ordered on Monday from ford. The car should be ready and driving on Wednesday. Missing the car now that it’s been down for a week but it’ll come into the summer better than ever

holiks03cobra

Established Member
What shifter did you guys go with? I bought a B&M and the bolt holes don't line up.
35051126_1726110694104547_8353822716272312320_n.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Plackis

Established Member
What shifter did you guys go with? I bought a B&M and the bolt holes don't line up.
View attachment 1493602

I’m using the stock shifter with brackets from Power by the Hour that allow the 4r70 shifter to work with a 6r80. That’s probably the easiest way to go about it. I’m not sure on the bolt holes not lining up. Maybe try giving B&M a call. They could have possibly sent you the wrong shifter or something

paulstang347

Established Member
Go look in my thread 04 cobra 6r80 swap. I have pics on how i mounted mine. You do not have to cut anything on the car. Might have to alter the shifter a tad but does fit.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
IMG_9622.JPG

For those of you with a normal full exhaust you’ll have to modify your midpipe a little to fit through the stifflers crossmember. This could differ from midpipe to midpipe but in my situation I had to. Just a heads up that some may need modification. A 96-98 cobra midpipe looks like it would fit better and possibly without modification but I can’t confirm.
The car is gonna be done this afternoon(hopefully) so if I’m able to I will post some videos tonight or tomorrow with some highway pulls on the way home from American Muscle Day

stangfreak

Established Member
lol I see steve in the backround! One of the best mechanics on long island. mike im jealous.

Bro do you think the prochamber will work?? I have a prochamber

Michael Plackis

Established Member
For an update. The car is not ready so it sadly can’t come to American muscle day. Everything was buttoned up and the car was ready at midnight but when he went for the first drive it had an output shaft sensor error and no forward or reverse gears. Turns out the idiot I bought it from decided when they drained it they didn’t have to put a filter back in it so there was no fluid pumping around and sadly there’s nowhere to get a 6R80 filter at midnight. At this point I should have the car Sunday or Monday after work. If you buy a trans make sure it has a filter in it haha

Michael Plackis

Established Member
Got the car back today. I only have manual mode as I have to figure out some stuff in the tune.
The only way to describe it is INSANE. The shifts are blisteringly fast and very responsive. Definitely the best mod done to the car. I’ll post some videos later in the week as it’s late and with the new catless h pipe it’s dumb loud

Michael Plackis

Established Member
https://im gur.co m/a/0IuHAor

Not sure how to post a video here so I posted the link.
That’s me driving in manual mode.
I was about 80-90% throttle there so they’re a tad faster full throttle but the shifts are crazy fast regardless verses my old stock 4R70. My speedo is still not working as I have to adjust some stuff on the tuner but it ended at a little over 100 mph in 4th gear according to the trans controller.
I also got auto mode to work. If you do this make sure to turn off burnout mode if you are having issues with auto mode not working. Auto mode took a fair bit of playing around to make it even remotely useable. The stock programs on the controller are not very good and you will most definitely have to modify them.
It’s super easy. On my first try playing around with the shift tables I feel comfortable with it and it is a million times better.
I can’t speak for this transmission for those going from a manual but going from the 4 speed it feels like a whole new car. The punch from a 2nd gear roll is crazy and the shift are immediate when you touch the button. First just blows the tires off in the best of ways.
I was getting kind of bored of my car lately but this new trans has completely woken the whole car up. This mod is on par with as good as my whole built engine and engine swap from a 2v.
If you are thinking about putting a new trans in your car I can’t express how much I advise doing this swap.
My total cost with install and every little bit and bolt came out to about $4500. Anyone under 750 hp will be fine with a stock F150 transmission but if you’re more than that I would suggest doing the exedy clutches and billet shaft package which is good for more power than pretty much anyone on this whole forum.

Michael Plackis

Established Member
It wouldn’t let me add the link so I put some spaces in there. If you type it in without the spaces it should work. If not lmk and I’ll try and figure out how to post the video and if you know how just shoot me a message

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
It wouldn’t let me add the link so I put some spaces in there. If you type it in without the spaces it should work. If not lmk and I’ll try and figure out how to post the video and if you know how just shoot me a message

I punched it in without the spaces like you said and it worked. Pretty legit! How much power is your car pushing?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Sub’ing
Been looking through every bit of info on this I can find. I did the 4r70 swap back in 04 to my Cobra and I’m ready for a switch. Definitely going to be going with paddle shifters just not sure which yet. I need to read up on the AMG paddles as I would prefer to keep the air bag.
Any chance you guys who are doing the swap and have a separate build thread would add a link to them in this thread?
Thanks and looking forward to doing this once my car is running again.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread