6r80 swap questions.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
Currently have a t56 out of an 03 cobra swapped into my 97, but honestly, I'm quite disappointed in it. I swapped it in around March and have been running it all summer.

Upon doing some reading the t56 needs some upgrades to handle 6-700 horse, and even then it's a time bomb if its driven hard. (Which I plan on doing.)

When I swapped in the t56 I was debating on a 6r80, but chose against it only to be somewhat dissatisfied. Knowing Baumann makes a controller and reading other individuals swap threads, it seems to be a fairly straightforward swap across all threads I've read.

The questions I have.

1. Flexplates: What will, and will not work. I've got some spare 8 bolt flex plates from a few Windsor motors I've had laying around. Can these be used, or does it need the coyote plate?

2. Spacer plates: will a 4r70 plate work? If I dont need to buy a 6r80 plate, I wont. Why spend money twice?

3. Shifters: who has done what, and what do you like of it. What would you change?

4. Final drive ratios: my car has a 4.10 final drive. Most likely going to be way too deep. I plan on Turbocharging the car this winter, so I'd like a gear that would load the best, yet be efficient enough to drive on the street with. I'd think a 3.31 or 3.55 would be the best. Am I crazy to think that.

Thank you ahead of time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
IMG_4494.JPG

I used a factory auto shifter and the manual shift boot when the time comes you can pm me and I can help with the instal if needed as for parts there is a in depth thread 04 Cobra 6r80 swap. The parts list has been updated it will answer all your questions. As for what trans to use, get a 2013-2014 f150 trans they have the updated lead frame and are generally way cheaper than a mustang variant. With the factory auto shifter you can use the OD button for the trans brake as well. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
View attachment 1604476
I used a factory auto shifter and the manual shift boot when the time comes you can pm me and I can help with the instal if needed as for parts there is a in depth thread 04 Cobra 6r80 swap. The parts list has been updated it will answer all your questions. As for what trans to use, get a 2013-2014 f150 trans they have the updated lead frame and are generally way cheaper than a mustang variant. With the factory auto shifter you can use the OD button for the trans brake as well. Hope that helps.

Your swap thread is actually what sealed the deal for me.

I know the 09/10 5.4 trucks used the 6r80 and had the same flexplate which is why I asked those questions.

I am planning on grabbing a 13/14 trans to do this swap. I've seen guys use a factory auto shifter and that is probably the route I'm going to go. I like keeping the interior stock looking, so I'll do all I can to do that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mystic03

Established Member
View attachment 1604476

what modifications did you have to do to the tunnel to get the shifter to sit factory mine sits too high and is crooked

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
Why not a 10r80? Seems like it would be a better choice, considering our somewhat narrow powerband.

A nice centri blower setup, with a trans that keeps the rpms up high, would be ideal.

rymax101

Established Member
Why not a 10r80? Seems like it would be a better choice, considering our somewhat narrow powerband.

A nice centri blower setup, with a trans that keeps the rpms up high, would be ideal.
There is not a aftermarket controller yet for the 10r80...you would have to swap in a coyote 10r80 ecm

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rymax101

Established Member
what modifications did you have to do to the tunnel to get the shifter to sit factory mine sits too high and is crooked
I didn't do anything to the tunnel... Only seperated the 2 pieces of metal

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread