6R80 service time

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
my car has 49000 miles and its time to service trans. is it best to service myself?i dont think its possible to drain to converter either?and what yall think is best fliud? dealer will service $200.if i go that route.any info will help.THX

helloWorld

Established Member
I just had the 60,000 mile transmission service done at my local Ford dealership. As far as I know, they just flushed the fluid out. I believe they charged me $160 for it.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Nice. Been considering this myself. I'm at 49k. Owners Manual calls for service at 100k but I'm not waiting that long either.

RR5.0

Established Member
Having been in and out of my trans several times I can tell you that unless you have a lift or like laying on your back with a transfer pump I would take it somewhere.

I have a lift however and the service isnt awful, drain fluid, drop pain, swap filter, etc. I drop my valve body and clean everything with brake cleaner and let all the fluid drain possible.

Filling it is the worst part. YAY for no real dipstick! I fill to the bottom of the A line on the little yellow dipstick and then drive it until its warm and check it again, usually needs another 1/2 quart after that. Also I only use Mercon LV.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
I added an AFE transmission pan to my 6r80 and it took 13 quarts of Mercon LV

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
Having been in and out of my trans several times I can tell you that unless you have a lift or like laying on your back with a transfer pump I would take it somewhere.

I have a lift however and the service isnt awful, drain fluid, drop pain, swap filter, etc. I drop my valve body and clean everything with brake cleaner and let all the fluid drain possible.

Filling it is the worst part. YAY for no real dipstick! I fill to the bottom of the A line on the little yellow dipstick and then drive it until its warm and check it again, usually needs another 1/2 quart after that. Also I only use Mercon LV.
thanks.sounds like its going to the dealer this time.maybe later on i can buy the pan and dipstick.i think its around $400

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
It's not hard to do, even on jack stands. If you do it the next day after sitting, usually will drop around 4 quarts. I let mine sit for 2 weeks as I was doing a converter swap and other stuff. When I dropped the pan and poured it into jugs, it came to 2 gallons or 8 quarts. I just threw LV back in there. With 30k miles, the old fluid still looked great. With my battery powered impact, I had the pan down, let it drain, filter swap, pan back up, 8 quarts back in my pumping, maybe and hour taking my time.
Flushed is fine but it can get junk into places where it shouldn't be sometimes. And cost to do myself prob $85 bucks and know it was done right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread