• Welcome to SVTPerformance!
ATTENTION!
You may experience intermittent issues while accessing the site over the next 60-90 minutes, as we perform maintenance and upgrades.

6R80 cannot manually downshift above 4000 rpm

Discussion in 'Tuning À la carte' started by Coz, Jun 7, 2021 at 7:54 PM.

1. Coz

Coz Premium Member Premium Member Established Member

I have a 2014 Mustang GT auto that I track on road courses. It will not downshift when it's at 4000 rpm or above.

This results in my having to wait to downshift until I'm already in a turn after a long straight.

With my 3:55 gears, downshifting from 4th to 3rd at 4500 rpm would only take me to 6000 rpm so I have plenty of cushion with my 7500 redline.

Even downshifting shifting at 5000 rpm would "only" take me to 6700 rpm with a reasonable amount of cushion left.

My tuner doesn't know how to adjust that. Does anyone know the parameter that can be adjusted?

And is it a global adjustment or can the rpm limit be changed for each downshift gear change?

And is there any downside on vehicle dynamics of doing this?

Thanks!

2. decipha

decipha Well-Known Member Established Member

Nope no problem at all. The stock value for the max speed after downshift is 4500 rpm. I always kick it up to 5800.

Your tuner may not have access to it in their tuning software. Email me the actual bin tune file and I'll take a look.

Coz likes this.
  3. GNBRETT

GNBRETT Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

I have an issue getting into 2nd gear at a higher hi way speed. Meaning, I have to be traveling really slow to get it to downshift into 2nd. Is there anyway around that so I can downshift into 2nd at higher speeds?

I try to line up for roll racing at times and just cant get into 2nd gear unless I slow down to a really slow speed. Then I build up a LOT of heat and its blowing out my exhaust pipe right at the waste gate. Its happened twice now and I know its because im in 2nd gear too long and building up too much HEAT! Can this be changed in the tune?

4. decipha

decipha Well-Known Member Established Member

anything can be changed