• Keep 2003 Cobra

Votes: 33 76.7%
  • Buy 69 Mustang

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

laruei

Established Member
My honest opinion is if I died tomorrow I would rather own the 69. And i have a few people interested in my 03... But I have owned my 03 for 7 years now and its almost exactly how I envisioned it..

What does the community think?

My car as it sits:
16616647343_01f098f8ac_o%20%28Custom%29.jpg

17049084508_f0ffc218fa_o%20%28Custom%29.jpg

The 69 I am looking at:
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/find/vehicle/vehicleDetail.xhtml?adId=2103804
0_image.jpg

The 69 I want it to be:
Allan-Moffat-Mustang.jpg

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
If I had the means to do so I would do the 69 because the T/A cars are just bad ass. My biggest concern about getting an older vehicle is what's under the paint, is it a bondo/rust bucket? The Cobra you have looks amazing and I am sure is a blast, buuuuuuutttt to me I love the classic mustang.

blk02edge

Established Member
its a tough call, going through same thing in my head. My buddy has a beautiful 68 Fastback 400hp-4speed but its just not as fun to drive. too many variables with an old car and I feel like the one I would want to truly replace a cobra would be $60k+

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
If i could get a hold of a super clean 69 that hasn't had or needs any body work, i'd jump on it.

But i wouldnt get rid of my terminator!!! hahaa

cj428mach

Established Member
As the owner of a 69 Mach 1 I would never ever EVER think about getting rid of my terminator for one. Although that is a cheap price for an S code it kind of makes me wonder whats wrong with it. Its also probably lucky to be a 250rwhp car which would be a huge step down from a terminator.

starnsey

Established Member
As the owner of a 69 Mach 1 I would never ever EVER think about getting rid of my terminator for one. Although that is a cheap price for an S code it kind of makes me wonder whats wrong with it. Its also probably lucky to be a 250rwhp car which would be a huge step down from a terminator.

Really interested to know why you feel that way. I had a '66 Coupe in high school and I'd be more than happy to give up my Mach 1 to have it back.

cj428mach

Established Member
Really interested to know why you feel that way. I had a '66 Coupe in high school and I'd be more than happy to give up my Mach 1 to have it back.

Why wouldn't I feel that way? My cobra rides better, steers better, stops better, has less cabin noise, better seats, air conditioning, a better stereo system, overdrive, and makes 2x the horsepower. Any thing else I need to list? Basically everything about the Cobra is better, I do love the looks of the White and Black Mach but honestly my White Terminator does more for me. If my 69 wasn't a father/son project and my old high school car it would be sold but I've had it for almost 20 years lol.

I told my dad after my terminator I honestly couldn't see myself ever driving it again lol.

starnsey

Established Member
Why wouldn't I feel that way? My cobra rides better, steers better, stops better, has less cabin noise, better seats, air conditioning, a better stereo system, overdrive, and makes 2x the horsepower. Any thing else I need to list? Basically everything about the Cobra is better, I do love the looks of the White and Black Mach but honestly my White Terminator does more for me. If my 69 wasn't a father/son project and my old high school car it would be sold but I've had it for almost 20 years lol.

I told my dad after my terminator I honestly couldn't see myself ever driving it again lol.

I was just curious. I totally understand. It's just hard to beat the looks of a '69 fastback. Everything else - yeah for sure. All it takes is like $100,000 in modifications to make one perform as well as a modern car LOL

2003SonicSVT

Established Member
Also own both cars, and the mach 1 at this point is sort of a long term open track project. As has been said, its a nice looking car, but I drove it all through high school, and to be honest, im not sure why. It was loud, uncomfortable, terrible around turns, and had terrible brakes. Its really better to look at than drive. It wont be when im done with it, but by then i will have been able to have bought a C6Z06 just with the money in mods almost. Be sure its what you want to do. That post of what you want it to be is awesome, but as someone who has already started down that road, its big time dollars. Be prepared.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some very good reasons stated to advise you to keep your Terminator vs. selling it for the '69. I've never owned early Mustangs but I understand their visual appeal. I just think if you're going to drive it regularly it is a huge step backward in all areas other than visual. If you can own both, sure. Otherwise I'd keep that good looking '03. Especially as you've customized it the way you've wanted to. :thumbsup:

SM94Cobra

Established Member
As the owner of a 69 Mach 1 with many modifications, I think it really depends on what you want in the end. I have worked on my car for a few years now and its close to how I want it, better brakes, suspension, AC, PS, better interior, re-wired, bigger motor, etc. But does it handle like or have the power of a terminator, not a chance. Even with all the mods, there are still times when it can be a pain in the tail to drive. If you want a car to jump in and drive around, terminator all the way. I get mine out on nice weekends and take it to car related events usually. Don't get me wring, I love my car and will never get rid of it, but sometimes would be nice to have a newer one to jump in and not have to worry about the little things.

8gtoklr

Established Member
1. NO SMOG!
2. With Modern tech today you can make it handle and feel just as good as new stuff.
3. Kaase Engine!
4. Looks so much better
5. Its still a Mustang

8gtoklr

Established Member
Also own both cars, and the mach 1 at this point is sort of a long term open track project. As has been said, its a nice looking car, but I drove it all through high school, and to be honest, im not sure why. It was loud, uncomfortable, terrible around turns, and had terrible brakes. Its really better to look at than drive. It wont be when im done with it, but by then i will have been able to have bought a C6Z06 just with the money in mods almost. Be sure its what you want to do. That post of what you want it to be is awesome, but as someone who has already started down that road, its big time dollars. Be prepared.

Uh yeah thats the whole point of driving Muscle cars! When the drive thru people ask you to please turn your car off cause they can hear your order LOL

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Im surprised you'd contemplate this. Especially since you just finished your recent build. I mean i love classics too but they can be huge money pits depending how things are on it. Also Just imagine how slow you would be...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I had a 70 fastback in my younger years. I kept it for about 12 years. I did almost everything to it. Rebuilt engine, trans, new suspension, etc. All it had left was getting the seats recovered, floor pans, and paint. I owned for about 12 years when I sold it. I picked up a 98 GT and lost interest in the 70. Having all power accessories and still having some power spoiled me. The classics are cool, but they're just not on par with the later models IMO.

If it's something you want I'd go for it. Just be prepared for a lot of work ahead. More than what you've put into the 03. I'm not sure if money is a concern, but that's something you'll be spending a lot of on the 69. But if it ends up not working out I'm sure you can always find another Cobra.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 2003 Cobra, and also a 1970 Fastback. you all are hung up on the performance part. My Cobra is faster than the old one. But nothing money cannot take care of.

yes the cobra handles better, has more creature comforts. but a lot of the fun of driving a classic is just that. its different, looks great and if all your cars handle the same and have the same power, where is the fun in that. if you can keep the cobra, and save up.

then buy something that needs a little more work, and is just a base fastback you can mess with, and make a replica Boss 320 Trans Am car.

laruei

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies! Esp you 69 owners!!

Ill try to keep this reply as condensed as possible but there is a lot of points i want to convey that factor into my decision process..

1. I like the idea a 69 will hold value better then a 03 in 20 years.. Granted the 03's are "rare" in their own right but will IMO never be on the level of even a regular 60's stang... but you never know how in 20-30 years things will look.
2. There's no smog on a 69 in Cali... right now with all the things I have done to my 03 I have backed myself into a corner with no outs.. I mean.. I'm "legal" and can keep being "legal" but its expensive and if i ever get pulled over its game over.... I do plan to move somewhere that does not have a smog law but that wouldnt be for many years.. so smog is a real current concern.
3. The looks are a big part of it... I've had some clapped out cars before and the creature comforts are rarely the thing that bugs me (assuming it can be fixed).. mostly the looks. However I have a family now (wife and son) and they will be riding in the car a lot on cruises and shows etc. My wife is concerned as some have stated it will be loud and uncomfortable.. while i agree in stock form they probably are.. with some application of Benjamin's I can see a vintage air, dynamat, and maybe some seats.. all fixing those problems?
4. Mechanical wise I see there being a TON of options.. not that there isnt with 03's but those air ride kits seems to do wonders for old muscle. Why not throw one of those kits on a well mechanically sorted car and have the best of all worlds? (i have not looked into pricing fyi) I may be horribly over simplifying that situation..
5. I have done this one to myself...but my car is pretty well known for street racing and I would like to get out of it.. Its unsafe on so many levels and I have a lot of adult responsibilities I should be thinking about instead.. given that.. having a ~7--whp cobra is kinda silly if its just going from show to show.. I want to do more 1/2 mile events and my wife is down for that.. but then i feel bad as I just take the car out.. beat the snot out of it, wash it and take it home till the next time i do.. I suppose there are worse things but it just feels like im not using the car to its full potential.
6. I have spent SOO much money on my 03 its hard to get rid of it.. Like i tell people its always done everything I have asked of it and said ok give me more.. I dont know if I can get that level of reliability from a 69 without mega $..
7. My son and I will need a project in the coming years.. he is 4 now but my 03 is basically done.. there is about a handful of things i have left i want to do and then its just keeping it clean and maintained.. so i cant teach him the craft just doing maintenance..
8. If i bought a 69 i think it would be a car I would be buried with. So its certainly going to have a heavy application of money thrown at it, but i wouldn't want to get rid of it so Im not sure I mind..
9. I've never owned a muscle car, or a carb'd vehicle for that matter. I have been around them my entire life (my family is big into cars) but I dont know shit about tuning a carb.. So its a whole different car world in that respect.

In closing, money is always an issue (for regular folks lol).. i would plan to take the money from the 03 and buy a/the 69 and throw a little left over at it.. but from the sounds of it my estimated $10k extra's budget wouldn't be enough to be happy with the 69 assuming everything already mechanically worked? I think at this point smog is my biggest issue with the 03.. and i have a solution for that..

In the coming years I can afford to have both but worry that once Im ready muscle cars are just going to keep going up and will be harder to find in any good condition for cheap...

Users who are viewing this thread