65 Shelby Tribute...a Driver and Show Winner

drstephens428

Established Member
This 1965 Mustang is my father's dream car, the culmination of 40 plus years of owning, wrenching, and racing Mustangs. It all started when he saw a Mustang in 1964 while in the military in Europe. He purchased his first Mustang in 1969, a used 66 Fastback, which I drove in high school and still own (it's the black one in the pics). During those years, he owned and raced a dozen different cars. Sadly, last year my father passed away. He left me with two cars, a 1968 Shelby GT500 and the one you see here, a 65 Shelby Tribute car. Both are show winners, as you can see from the many trophy's / plaques in my garage. The 68 Shelby is an original showcar and drives like a car built with the technology available from that era. The 65 Tribute car, however, is built with modern technology. My Dad wanted a driver with the 65. And he got one: it is is fast, stable, stiff, reliable, incredible sounding, and a head turner. I had always intended to keep both cars, but have recently decided to sell one of them. I have young children, two other Mustangs to keep up with, and am in the midst of building a race car. I simply do not have time to keep up two concours-level show cars. I had initially decided to sell the 68 Shelby as the 65 Tribute is such a fabulous car to drive. However, my father had owned the Shelby for almost 30 years. It is a member of the family. I could not bring myself to sell it. If you are interested in this car, just know that it was built with careful thought. My father was a meticulous person, as is evident in the build quality of this car. He was an aircraft mechanic, avionics chief over Air Force One planes (Andrews AFB) at the end of his career in the military. He knew his stuff.

As you can see from the pictures this is not my only Mustang and have owned and cared for these cars for over 30 years. This car is kept in a climate controlled environment. The car was built in 2005 in Florida. It has driven approximately 9,500 miles since the build. It has never seen the racetrack. It was driven annually from the Florida Panhandle to Ocala for National Parts Depot’s Ford Weekend, a 5 hour drive.

Every inch of this car is pristine down to each nut and bolt. You will not be disappointed.

And now for the car's features:

Engine:

• Supercharged 1970 351W bored to 358 CI
  • Massaged cast iron heads
  • Camshaft: Sig Erson hydraulic .493 lift, 310 duration
  • Paxton centrifugal supercharger 4-7 PSI boost
  • Custom hand-built Supercharger Bracket and belt system
  • Carb: Holley 670 Street Avenger
  • Ignition: Petronix Pointless Electronic
  • Edelbrock Aluminum Intake (powder coated)
  • Ford Motorsports Pulleys
  • Canton 7 Qt Oil Pan and Windage Tray w/ Oil Temp Sensor
  • Built, balanced by Jessie Holmes Performance, Pensacola, FL
Exhaust

• Hedman equal length headers
  • 2.5 in. aluminum exhaust
  • Flowmaster 40 mufflers
  • Magnaflow 3” stainless tips
Driveline

• Tremec 5-Speed TRF-ROC5201 rated at 550 HP / 550 ft-lbs torque Ratios 3.27, 1.98, 1.34, 1.0, 0.68
  • 31 Spline output shaft
  • Aluminum Drive Shaft with safety loop
  • Ford 9” rear end with 2.79 gears
Chassis

• Front suspension coil overs with QA1 adjustable shocks
  • Full subframe connectors, welded
  • Equal spaced export bar
  • Monte Carlo bar
  • Traction Master underride traction bars
  • Battery relocated to trunk
  • American Racing Torque Thrust ‘D’ 15x7
  • BF Goodrich 205x65R15 Traction TA’s, directional
  • 1978 Granada ram air cooled front disc brakes
  • 11”x2” rear drums w/ ceramic shoes, by MBS
  • Quick steer idler, Pittman arms, by Branda
  • 1” rear sway bar
  • 3/4” front sway bar
Shelby Accessories

• Instrument pod with oil pressure and tach
  • Rear seat delete shelf
  • Competition seat belts
  • Radio delete
Paint, Body, and Restoration by Salters Classic Autos, Pace, FL

I'm asking $40,000 OBO.

Feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Check out this link for many pics and videos: 65 Shelby Tribute - Imgur

2013 Laguna Seca

Laguna 2013
Established Member
Saw this car last night at a local cruise-in. The car is really very nice. Sounds and looks
fantastic. If someone is looking for a perfect tribute car,this is it. Good luck with the sale Don.

redrockett

Established Member
First of all I am sorry to hear about your father. That is one nice car!! Someone will be very happy to get their hands on this one!

Users who are viewing this thread