600+rwhp cobra to C6Z06?

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
Hey guys owned the car for three years now and have put on about 20k on it love the car very fun to drive with the 2.3 whipple. I've been wanting more power but don't feel like spending the money on the car anymore so thinking of going to a C6Z06. I'd like to get or do H.C.I. with LT, don't feel like losing to my old car that my buddy has bought. I'm hoping to go and test drive one before winter hits to really see how they drive. I did have a C5 before my cobra did like it, i do hear that the C6 is a way better car. Just still not sure on going from over 600+RWHP to a the Z06 with less and either hoping to find a HCI car or do it myself, always wanted a cammed car love the way they sound.

canadianbullitt

Established Member
Ive been debating the same exact thing with my similar cobra. Im scared that ill regret it though. Just save up and get the vette in addition to the cobra :)

smitty2919

Established Member
Hmmm I always vote Vette with posts like these, but a 600+ Cobra to a base C6Z06 I may lean toward keeping cobra...now the fact that you ware looking to buy or at least do a HCI swap on a vette I would lean toward the vette.

I would also look at other aspects and not just a straight line street racing view. You won't want to lose to your last car your buddy bought but in terms of looks, driving style (interior etc) and overall feeling of the car I would hands down go with the Vette.

After driving and owning my current Fbody, I HATE the "dinner table" driving position of my last New Edge mustangs. The Fbody...and Vette (as you know OP) have a more reclined, "racing" style position. No longer needing to pull your shoulder off the seat to find 3rd.

IMO, the C6 is a all around better car out of the box. HCI package and some good shocks it will be a powerful street car that handles VERY well. The suspension design of the new edge is sub par to the C6 for handling.

If you want power in a straight line, maybe keep the cobra. If you want power AND handling, then just SC the C6. I'm not sure what HCI C6 Z's can put down, but if it is anywhere near the 600hp mark of the Cobra then I vote C6.

BUT, this is all coming from a first time 95 Camaro Fbody owner that bought the car to do nothing but Autocross. I don't drag race OR street race NOR do I care to even touch the motor in my car. All I have done is suspension/brakes/race seats and I'm having a blast.

What do YOU want out of the car?

Never_Enough

Established Member
Buy the C6Z no question!

I've driven plenty of them & they are awesome machines. I owned a C6 as well, not a Z, though. Miss that car.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I'd make the move to C6z. After a while, my well kept 03 started to feel like I was riding in a rough rattle trap. I'd get the newer vet and enjoy the horses off muscle for a while.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
OP get the C6Z. HCI and I bet it would be as fast or faster than your Cobra

I'd make the move to C6z. After a while, my well kept 03 started to feel like I was riding in a rough rattle trap. I'd get the newer vet and enjoy the horses off muscle for a while.

Because you were, recently drove my old New Edge and could hardly stand it.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
C6z is I think the best car for the dollar you can buy right now. 38-50K gets you in the 11's stock and able to outrun 95% of cars on the road all while getting 30 MPG highway.

Hell if the price was right I would get rid of mine.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Just go drive one, then you'll understand. If my car was running and able to be sold right now, I would gladly go from a 900 hp Cobra to a stock C6Z again. I'm still kicking myself for selling this:

Nikon006-7_zps53b01eae.jpg

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
2k you are dead right lol! I was being really nice to the OP, but facts are facts. My truck rode smoother.

Z all day!

And to all those that will say the car "feels raw, etc..." the car in general rides like ****. Good car overall, just too rough.

Last edited:

smitty2919

Established Member
Just go drive one, then you'll understand. If my car was running and able to be sold right now, I would gladly go from a 900 hp Cobra to a stock C6Z again. I'm still kicking myself for selling this:

Nikon006-7_zps53b01eae.jpg

Wow, with what this guys car looks like and he is telling you to go C6 must be saying something! lol Like others have said, HP aside, the C6 has a lot more going for it from an overall aspect.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Wow, with what this guys car looks like and he is telling you to go C6 must be saying something! lol Like others have said, HP aside, the C6 has a lot more going for it from an overall aspect.

Exactly. I've had tons of mustangs and SVT products, but when I bought that Z06 it was just a completely different experience. Extremely nimble, fast (even stock), comfortable, great on gas, plus it was the only GM product I've owned that felt really well put together. I have a friend with an '07 Z that has normal bolt-ons and a relatively mild cam that is just nasty on the street.

Cobras are fun, but if someone is in the position to make the switch I highly encourage it.

sonicblew

Established Member
Long considered the switch myself. I'd do it man! I've really never heard a person who didn't love theirs

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
I've figured i would have enough cash with selling the cobra to find a z06 hopefully they drop with the new z06 coming out even more. Now to go and drive one and see how much i like it than try and pre sell the cobra for spring and buy on somewhere in between.

Machdup1

Established Member
Just went from Cobra to Vette. The Cobra was faster, but the corvette is a better all around car. The best way I can describe it is that Cobra was raw and the vette is refined power. Plus I can have a conversation with the passenger without screaming.

brendan.9

Svt Turkey Farmer
Established Member
Well went and drove a 08 z06 today, first time in three years that i've driven in a vette forgot how low, back and far down you sit inside it. I sure do miss my HUD from my old vette. First thing i noticed was the clutch i'm used to the cobra very hard to push and this i didn't even know it was there. Thing i first noticed driving was road noise, i thought it would have been way quieter in there. I dorve it mostly in the rain as bad timing when i got there it was showers all over. Did hit some dry pavement and played a little and man does it stay planted and goes for a stock car that's for sure. I'm pretty sure be selling the cobra and buying on in spring.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
haha i've been debating between the zr1, c6z06 or the c7... so many nice corvettes to choose from

I would probably go with the Z over your cobra. I know lots of people seem attached to their cobra on this forum so I do not particularly expect people to agree with me, but I consider the Z to be an amazing car. The weight / power is just unbeatable in my opinion.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
You won't regret it. I owned a whippled auto cobra at the same time as my '09 z. In the couple years I owned both, the vette felt every bit as fast stock--even though it wasn't. Damn, the third gear pull in the vette. 80-122mph. Gone. Get rid of the run flats and the car is much quieter. Now that my vette is a heads cam car the cobra wouldn't even be remotely close, in terms of speed. Let alone cornering, braking, ride, and overall stability.

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
I will never hesitate to sacrifice overall horsepower for a very sizable weight drop and far better handling and refinement. Plus, the C6Z will be just as fast with some very basic bolt-ons.

Get the Z.

Users who are viewing this thread