6 or 8lb pulley

redz03HD

Established Member
i have a 03 harley edition and my truck has k and n intake, magnaflow muffler, and bought a diablo in-tune programmer. I just want to know what pulley i can get for it either being a 6 or 8? also what is recomended to go with it so it will be safe to drive since its a daily driver. thanks for your time in advance

gmoney21

g
Established Member
it depends if you want to trade gas eff for more rwhp. i went with the sixer on my dd 02 hd. dyno tuned to 385rwhp.

redz03HD

Established Member
well for now i was trying to see my best option was even looking at just getting a L blower pulley since the programmer already has that in there

redz03HD

Established Member
the truck has 53k on it and just want to see what is the best option going to do plugs for sure just seeing what pulley option would be best.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
When you up the boost, mileage doesnt really matter. All you can do is get a good tune from a good known shop and keep up with maintenance. It will either last well over 100k-200k miles or it may only last 20k miles like mine did. You never know man.

The thing about only adding an L upper which is only 2lbs of boost, is you will always want more. When the mod bug bites, it doesnt stop. You can do mods like higher stall TQ converter, full exhaust and other mods. That will make the most of what you already have and make the engine more efficient. Same goes for intercooler mods.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'd say for a DD, a 4lb lower and HD upper is about all I would do. And of course, this is with a low timing, safe tune with a target A/F in the 11.5-11.7 range.

Now if you have E85 available, you could get away with a lot more. My bro in law is running a 10lb lower pizza pie and the HD upper....and running 21 degrees timing. It made 466/566 and runs flawless for a year now. That ethanol, a solid fuel system, and a talented ethanol tuner like 04sleeper can work some magic. This total boost is about 15-16psi, it sounds wicked when you punch it. :rockon:

redz03HD

Established Member
ok well ill try the 4lb LFP and get some plugs, the only other thing is tuning it and finding a place online that does diablo in-tune since el paso is a black hole for performance

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Usually people do a lightning upper and 6lb lower. That's the usual limit people push on stock blocks. Youll also need a hand held programmer, tr6 plugs(i think thats the type) and a bigger MAF. Your tuner should know exactly the plug type though.

FastyJohn03

Established Member
I think its all in the tune.. Im planing on running 6lb lower catless exhaust,Intake,Fan Mod,TB that should be lilttle over 400rwhp I think almost 90hp over stock will shake things up. Also not racing it but you never know when you going to need it.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
My advice is be very careful on gasoline....your margin for error is razor thin. These lightning/HD motors are no where near as bulletproof as the terminator motors.

A stock HD upper is 3.25". A stock lightning upper is 2.93". A 6lb lower and lightning upper swap is the same thing as running a 10lb lower and factory HD upper! That's WAY too much for gasoline IMO. Leave boost levels like that once you have a good fuel like ethanol.

Here's an excellent boost reference chart:

Blower_Pullies.jpg

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
It depends on what you want. I run a 6lb lower, NGK-TR6, JLP CAI, with a Diablo tuner.
The basic starter "wake up" mod for these trucks is the PP&T (Pulley, Plugs and Tune)
I went with a lower 6lb'er but I'm a bit conservative. Even that is a nice little wake up!

For your daily driver the 6lb'er is safer then the 8lb. Do not mess with the upper at all.
You will need colder plugs. Most folks go with NGK-TR6 and you will need to re-tune.
There may be a canned 93 octane pulley tune in the Diablo but a Dyno is the best way.
Some "new rules" after the new lower. No 2 gear kick downs. No WOT under 50 degrees.

I suggest that while you in there clean the intercooler and put on a L&S oil separator.
While you're cleaning the I/C it is a good time to change the plugs. It's whole lot easier.

Gas mileage for me changed less than 1/2 mile per gallon. Not even worth mentioning.
On the other hand, if you now have a happier foot and a big smile it can & will go down.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread