6.4 powerstroke

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm late to the party but i'll just leave a few notes instead of replying to everyone.

Bill Hewitt(powerstrokehelp) is an idiot and has a terrible reputation amongst knowledgeable powerstroke groups. Known scammer that's ripped a lot of people off. Most things he says about the trucks, especially 6.4s, is just flat out wrong. He seems like an "ok" mechanic, but thats all the credit I'd give him.

Regardless of anyone's experience with the 6.4, buying one is a bad idea for one simple fact. They were only made for 3 years. Parts availability went to shit for a while, and the aftermarket has picked up a few items again, namely the HPFP, but still tons of terrible quality remans out there. A ford "reman" 6.4 engine is also a guaranteed crapshoot. You must go with a quality shop that knows them inside and out to get a quality piece, and even then shit happens. There are only a handful of shops in the entire country I would even consider to rebuild them.

That said, I love mine and it has been a lot of fun. It survived till 198k miles on the factory studded engine with LOTS of abuse and pushing 800+ whp. It finally cracked a piston late 2017, but still ran with just a little blow by lol. I've been scammed on one engine and set of injectors already. I just finished up a new engine(went all out) and had it installed a few months ago, but with less than 100 miles I'm going to be tearing into it for a cab up again because of a defective new Ford oil cooler. Even when you do things right, shit can happen.

TLDR, get a gasser.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm late to the party but i'll just leave a few notes instead of replying to everyone.

Bill Hewitt(powerstrokehelp) is an idiot and has a terrible reputation amongst knowledgeable powerstroke groups. Known scammer that's ripped a lot of people off. Most things he says about the trucks, especially 6.4s, is just flat out wrong. He seems like an "ok" mechanic, but thats all the credit I'd give him.

Regardless of anyone's experience with the 6.4, buying one is a bad idea for one simple fact. They were only made for 3 years. Parts availability went to shit for a while, and the aftermarket has picked up a few items again, namely the HPFP, but still tons of terrible quality remans out there. A ford "reman" 6.4 engine is also a guaranteed crapshoot. You must go with a quality shop that knows them inside and out to get a quality piece, and even then shit happens. There are only a handful of shops in the entire country I would even consider to rebuild them.

That said, I love mine and it has been a lot of fun. It survived till 198k miles on the factory studded engine with LOTS of abuse and pushing 800+ whp. It finally cracked a piston late 2017, but still ran with just a little blow by lol. I've been scammed on one engine and set of injectors already. I just finished up a new engine(went all out) and had it installed a few months ago, but with less than 100 miles I'm going to be tearing into it for a cab up again because of a defective new Ford oil cooler. Even when you do things right, shit can happen.

TLDR, get a gasser.

7.3L Godzilla V8 FTW?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Alright guys, call me dumb, stupid or otherwise. I bought a 6.4. 2 owner, which were brothers. Owner had all the maintenance receipts, which were all done at a ford dealership. 68k miles.
Big shout out to @13COBRA for providing me with history reports and a shipping broker.(which I’m waiting to hear back from)
Looking forward to the delivery date.
1A1A0961-1745-49EF-BD03-C4DFA539E308.png
C1DE8852-474C-4B10-9AE0-212E4D64D0E5.png
F0B1545C-9AC1-4201-8F3E-E3A0B20D5272.png
8C68C655-758A-4B5F-A518-E4CDB057435A.png
3FD32775-8724-40A6-ABE2-4867A2E66CA5.png

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Alright guys, call me dumb, stupid or otherwise. I bought a 6.4. 2 owner, which were brothers. Owner had all the maintenance receipts, which were all done at a ford dealership. 68k miles.
Big shout out to @13COBRA for providing me with history reports and a shipping broker.(which I’m waiting to hear back from)
Looking forward to the delivery date.
View attachment 1572044 View attachment 1572045 View attachment 1572046 View attachment 1572047 View attachment 1572048
What year? 09-10’s I think we’re a little better than the 08’s

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I've got a couple little things I need to sell I never used on my 6.4. Brand new items. Like EGR delete kit and fuel filter set. Also have a used S&B cold air intake that has been fully cleaned and reoiled. PM me if anyone is interested. I have pics. About to list the stuff over on Powerstroke Army.

Edit for link:
2008-10 6.4L parts: RCD EGR *** kit, SCT tuner and etc - PowerStrokeArmy

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Beautiful truck Apex! But definitely start saving now...pistons cracking has nothing to do with maintenance or build date, hope you won the lottery with a good one!

If it isn't deleted do it ASAP. Always run quality fuel and fuel treatment every single tank. I use lubrication engineers fuel treatment and oils.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
6.4's are awesome until they break.... then your wallet will break. I sold my 08 in January after having it for 6 years and bought a 2013 6.7. The 6.7 is in a whole other league, hard to believe they came that far in just 5 years.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
6.4's are awesome until they break.... then your wallet will break. I sold my 08 in January after having it for 6 years and bought a 2013 6.7. The 6.7 is in a whole other league, hard to believe they came that far in just 5 years.
3 technically (2011) :D

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Damn.

I haven't been on PSA since 2013. I remember the day that website was made.

SirShaun

Established Member
Random question. Where is the actual horn located? I need to change mine, haven't went looking for it yet. I've googled, tired of searching.

One night woke up to horn blaring, thought it was neighbors or something. It was mine, fuse blown, replaced fuse, relay clicks, still makes a very faint horn noise. Yay its not the clock spring.

Users who are viewing this thread