5th gear WOT pull question

fangs99

Established Member
I have some buddy's telling me that I should not go WOT in 5th gear. Well at the end of the month I have a 1/2mile speed event that I'm going to and planned on using 5th gear..... I have heard of blower guys blowing there engines with 5th & 6th gear WOT pulls..... But my car is turbo'd and has a small crank pulley, so I know it's not under the same stresses as the blower cars. And my 5th gear +rear gear combo is .74 & 3.73's..... Wouldn't that be close to the same as 4th with 3.27's?

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
Stock motor? Any cooling mods? If yes and not many I'd get a custom tune specifically to handle that long of a WOT run to keep it cool and unharmed.

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
Have you ever tried monitoring IAT2 temps on a 1-4 pull before? With your mods your probably alright but id watch the temps on a 1-4 and see where I'm at before doing a 1-5th pull.

MGC

Established Member
talk to your tuner, take some timing out and go for it, assuming you have a head cooling mod/revised heads. best of luck at the event, sounds fun, pedal it in the lower gears and short shifting will help to keep heat down, then let it eat in 3rd 4th and 5th

Last edited:

fangs99

Established Member
Yes, I have the head cooling mod done.... And that would be pedal & short shift 1st,2nd,& 3rd, then let 4th & 5th eat

MGC

Established Member
Yes, I have the head cooling mod done.... And that would be pedal & short shift 1st,2nd,& 3rd, then let 4th & 5th eat

Yep just be conservative and it'll hold together, keep in mind you wont be breaking any records your first time out so just have fun and be safe. do you have a pyrometer so you can watch EGT's? You could also add some octane in the tank for added protection.

Users who are viewing this thread