5R55S Help..

Wild White Pony

I’m hoping someone can give me some tuning information on the 5R55S Transmission. I have recently done some mods and put the car on the dyno with some interesting results. I’m having some problems with possible converter slip or problems with program settings for the Trans.
After reading many threads on the forums regarding the 5R55S it seems to be a little more complicated being it’s a computer controlled trans. The trans is stock right now with a TCI 3000 Stall Converter and a Level 10 Input shaft, I plan on upgrading to the Super Street Fighter later this year, but I’ve had no problems with this until the TCI converter was installed. I’ve already looked into the 4R70W swap but will pass on that for now.

My tuner says this is a slipping converter and is way too loose, so I’m looking at a possible swap to a Circle D Converter. In the mean time I would like to get as much info about what others have done for tuning and how to tune the trans properly in SCT software that is used at the dyno.

What parameters in the SCT Software must be adjusted? I’ve seen people talk about Converter Lock Points, Pump pressure, Mapping, Values etc. that need to be adjusted after installing a different converter or engine mods. I’m looking for specific information regarding this and using the SCT Software so I have a better understanding and knowledge about this trans when working with my tuner.

I have below the list of mods and the results from the dyno, my car is in blue with a comparison car showing proper lockup in red. I should have better numbers from the dyno hopefully will after this problem is fixed.

2006 GT Coup
Engine: FRPP 4.6 3V 9.8:1 Built Aluminator Short Block
FRPP Ported Heads
FRPP M-9424-463V Intake Manifold
FRPP 60# Injectors
BBK 62mm throttle body
Innovators West 10% Crank Overdrive
Mafia Diablo Sport mass air flow controller

Power Adders: Vortech V3 HO supercharger
Air to Air SC Cooling
2.95 Pulley with 8 Rib Upgrade
Snow Kit Stage 3 Water/ Meth

Drivetrain: 5R55S Transmission
TCI 3000 Stall
Shaftmaster 1 Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
Level 10 Input Shaft
Streetfighter Rachet Shifter
Steeda Double Safety Loops
FRPP 4.10 Gear

Exhaust: FRPP Ceramic Coated Headers
Bassani X Pipe with high flow cats and a pair of delete tubes
Flowmaster Mufflers

Suspenson: FRPP Rear Coils
BMR Lower Control Arms, Relocation Brackets and Panhard
BMR Subframe Connectors

DynoSheet.gif

Other: GT 500 Dual Fuel Pumps
SLP Line Lock
SCT Tuner, with custom dyno tune

Last edited:

Wild White Pony

Well after posting this to many forums nothing really discovered regarding program changes and proper value's. However, after explaining my situation and sending my datalog files to multiple companies who produce both performance trans and converters, it's clear that the converter is the culprit. Of the companies I've discussed my problem with, Lentech, Circle D and Level 10 have stood out as the most impressive regarding my issues and would be my first referrals to anybody in need of transmission help. I'll be purchasing a Circle D Converter and installing it in my current trans, later this season I plan on a Bullet Proof trans from Level 10

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread