55w Bulb in Stock/Aftermarket Fog Light Housing???

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
I know the stock wattage for the fog lights is 37.5w or so. How many of you guys are running 55w bulbs and what brand? Is it safe for the wiring and housing considering the extra draw and extra heat?:dw: Let me know if it's Pass or Fail. I just don't want to melt my stock housings or get crispy fried wires.

Thanks in advanced,
Rob:thumbsup:

ARdoller

Established Member
youre fine. the current that those bulbs draws is next to nothing. i was running 100W bulbs in my fogs for a while. still nowhere near a current draw that would be "harmful" to any of your electrical components.

Last edited:

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
youre fine. the current that those bulbs draws is next to nothing. i was running 100W bulbs in my fogs for a while. still nowhere near a current draw that would be "harmful" to any of your electrical components.

What about the housing? Will the extra heat in any effect damage the reflective chrome inside or warp anything? I don't want to damage these, I had BOI Fog Lamps that warped and chrome film burn crisp just with stock bulbs.:shrug:

Erick

Established Member
I can't speak from personal experience but I've heard people doing it without problems and I've heard stories of the factory wire burning up.

I swapped mine out for 4" glass Hella's which use an H3 bulb. I wired a relay to the factory fog switch.

LDC2335

Established Member
not sure what your looking for, but if its color and a little brighter, i use nokya artic white, they draw stock wattage but give off nice color and decent light.

P1020547.jpg

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member

Current isn't the only thing to worry about.

OP - I wouldn't. That's a 50% increase in heat output in teh same housing. But that's me.

ARdoller

Established Member
BOI's fog lights are the only ones I wouldnt trust with any bulb. Metal Halide light bulbs (HID) get very hot, and plenty of headlights and fog lights withstand the heat that they put off.

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
Current isn't the only thing to worry about.

OP - I wouldn't. That's a 50% increase in heat output in teh same housing. But that's me.

Yeah I'm weary on using the 55w's. I'm getting Bi HID in the next month for the headlights and wanted to change the white output of the fog lamps to AMBER/Yellowish. I tested the bulbs and they are hella brighter I'd say twice as bright but semed a little hotter than the stock one.

Anyone else running 55w's on stock/aftermarket fog lamps with no issues?

LDC2335

Established Member
ebay. amazon etc

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nokya-Arctic-White-37-5W-Light/dp/B0010YRXWS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1248483222&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Nokya Arctic White 893 37.5W Twin Pack Light Bulbs: Automotive[/ame]

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
not sure what your looking for, but if its color and a little brighter, i use nokya artic white, they draw stock wattage but give off nice color and decent light.

P1020547.jpg

that's what i run too. they're a 5800K bulb color.
they are 37.5w and i DID notice the chrome reflective inner area is a bit deformed.

i wouldn't run the 55w bulbs, but that's just me.

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
DO NOT RUN THE 55W, You might aswell put your foglights in the microwave and watch them turn to soup. And for the record my BOI smoked foglihts melted and fell apart within a few days(35w bulb). My suggestion if you want to run a 55w bulb pick up some aftermarket foglights that have a metal housing and glass lens.

C O 13 R A

Crazy Arms
Established Member
Yeah I already tossed the 55w amber bulbs in the trash (garage)! Now more crap in there that I don't need but it's there.

Thanks again Guys!:beer:

Last edited:

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Guys you have got to remember that BOI fogs are crap. Just do a search, I promise you'll find twice as many complaints than compliments. They're known for falling apart (mine didn't even make it through installation). I'm not saying you can safely run the 55 watt in a stock housing, but I wouldn't make that decision based on anything that includes BOI in the description.

LDC2335

Established Member
that's what i run too. they're a 5800K bulb color.
they are 37.5w and i DID notice the chrome reflective inner area is a bit deformed.

i wouldn't run the 55w bulbs, but that's just me.

i havnt noticed any yet, but i keep a look out and yank em as soon as they start.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Metal Halide light bulbs (HID) get very hot, and plenty of headlights and fog lights withstand the heat that they put off.

I disagree. HID assemblies require less wattage in order for them to produce the same or more lumens than Halogen bulbs. Less wattage means cooler ambient temperatures, especially when compared to a Halogen counterpart. The extra wattage that Halogen bulbs use gets turned into waste heat. You might be thinking of Kelvins or the "color temperature" ratings of HID bulbs, not watts.

Last edited:

ARdoller

Established Member
wattage doesnt directly translate into temperature. the gasses in the bulbs that cause the chemical reaction that lights the bulb makes them very hot. nothing to do with the wattage. a 70W Metal Halide bulb gets way hotter than a 100W Halogen.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I'd like to see the sources you're using. Basically what you're saying goes against everything I've ever read on the subject.

Last edited:

MouTine

Established Member
Other way is to change original housings to Hella / Bosch / PIAA or what ever well known quolity housings and run bulbs you like. Just like Erick above wrote. Infact, I'm running Hella 5" H4 housings with 80/100W bulbs. Ofcourse you need to make own brackets but thats not a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread