55 psi too high for base pressure? Injector selection

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Is 55 PSI base pressure ok to run on a boost referenced Fore series return system with 2 TI Auto 285 pumps?

Im running Injector Dynamic's Calculator and it looks like at 55psi, ID 1300xs can handle E85 for my engine and planned boost setup.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Why do you want or need to start that high? How much boost are you planning to run?

Is this a street car or track only race car?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Why do you want or need to start that high? How much boost are you planning to run?

Is this a street car or track only race car?
Street/strip/mexico. On full e85 (or race e85) Ill be looking to make 900-1000 rwhp. Taking care of the shortblock first, along with fuel system, then blower. Have my eye on them new TVS 3100s.

Honestly, I have no clue what's a high base pressure or not. I'm a total noob when it comes to setups for return systems. Ive got an idea that 45 psi is usually considered normal. As you know, in AZ we have a min content spec of 54% for Flex Fuel. But I need to buy parts that can handle full E85 should I encounter that blend. Im on the west side, but I know the Chevron on the east side in Mesa on Broadway usually tests at E70 or better most days.

I was looking at ID 1300Xs and using the ID calc, 1300x will be under 90% DC with my rough specs for E85 at 7k RPM @ 55psi base pressure. If I can safely run the 1300X, that would be my preferred option. If not, the Deatschwerks 1500cc injectors are an option. The ID1700X, while a great injector might be a little too rich for my blood.

Lotta time before I start buying parts for the fuel system, but Id like to get the details ironed out sooner rather than later.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I run 55 psi base pressure in my Lethal Return System without any problems. My pumps are TI485's high pressure version. One thing to watch out for is at what point your pumps activate the high pressure bleed off. So say at 25lbs of boost your fuel pressure will be up around 90psi. What point do those pumps safety valves pop?

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm on the west side also. The two stations I go to typically run between 52% and 54% ethanol.

I would run an injector that allows you to maintain the factory base pressure. I run a base of 42 psi, w/o vacuum.

Sure, others will say you can run a base of 55 psi no problem. But why choose that route when you don't have to.

95% of the time you'll just be driving around with elevated fuel pressure and unnecessary strain on the pumps. The added pressure will cause additional heat in the pumps and as pressure increases, flow decreases.

Users who are viewing this thread