500rwhp ecoboost video

Voltwings

Established Member
My work blocks youtube, but if this is the one making 501 whp and 464 wtq, the most impressive part is that when i asked the tuner what the fueling solution was, he stated they were on the stock fuel system with a 93/race gas blend. a 4 cylinder DI car holding 500 whp on the stock fuel system ... THAT's the incredible part. Dont get me wrong though lol a solid 500 whp in a proper RWD chassis cant be too shabby either.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Damn 100+ torque bump with just a tune is pretty impressive. I wonder how much the boost jumps to make that. I laughe'd at 29psi for the 500hp, not used to the 4cyl word they seem to run so much more boost.

Dcrypter

Established Member
Please correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the EB going to be pretty much tapped out somewhere around 500 to the wheels?

I thought I saw that it's completely forged but even still I don't imagine it will be taking 30+ psi for very long? It's normally running at 13-20 so 30+ seems pretty intense in my mind.

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
Please correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the EB going to be pretty much tapped out somewhere around 500 to the wheels?

I thought I saw that it's completely forged but even still I don't imagine it will be taking 30+ psi for very long? It's normally running at 13-20 so 30+ seems pretty intense in my mind.

A buddy of mine with a svo runs 40 psi on his 4 cylinder car. Its a different car than a gt or gt500 for sure.

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member

The stock motor should not be pushed that hard, according to the tuner who currently has that setup. Good thing there are plenty of vendors finding solutions for the internals, head, and fuel system. There will be some EB cars running with the highest level Cameros and Challengers in the future. The 2015 Mustang has a nice lineup.

Bmr4life

Established Member
The stock motor should not be pushed that hard, according to the tuner who currently has that setup. Good thing there are plenty of vendors finding solutions for the internals, head, and fuel system. There will be some EB cars running with the highest level Cameros and Challengers in the future. The 2015 Mustang has a nice lineup.

I don't think so. While I am highly impressed by the ecoboost power gains, they is still no replacement for turbo charged displacement. A turbo v8 will be most powerful than a turbo 4. Now if you're talking about NA V8 vs a turbo 4, my money is on the turbo 4.

Hell, these ecoboost vids had my checking autotrader just now. Here's how I look at it.

New 2015 ecoboost, cheapest of the cheap, $22k. Turbo upgrade with supporting mods, $4500 or so Will run high 11s on race tires. (not 11.5 like the one in the video, that car has a lot more than $4500 in it).

or

Used 11-12 for $20k with low miles. $8k for super charger. Will run high 10s on race tires.

or

Used 11-12 for $20 with low miles. $4k for basic bolt ons and torque converter. Runs high 11s on race tires and is no where near pushing the limit of the engine.

Obviously the top option is the only one that gets you a new car with all the upgrades. None of these options gets you a car with a warranty.

Oh yeah, my best option.

Buy a highly upgraded GT from the classified for $30k with aluminator and FI already done.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
I don't think so. While I am highly impressed by the ecoboost power gains, they is still no replacement for turbo charged displacement. A turbo v8 will be most powerful than a turbo 4. Now if you're talking about NA V8 vs a turbo 4, my money is on the turbo 4.

Hell, these ecoboost vids had my checking autotrader just now. Here's how I look at it.

New 2015 ecoboost, cheapest of the cheap, $22k. Turbo upgrade with supporting mods, $4500 or so Will run high 11s on race tires. (not 11.5 like the one in the video, that car has a lot more than $4500 in it).

or

Used 11-12 for $20k with low miles. $8k for super charger. Will run high 10s on race tires.

or

Used 11-12 for $20 with low miles. $4k for basic bolt ons and torque converter. Runs high 11s on race tires and is no where near pushing the limit of the engine.

Obviously the top option is the only one that gets you a new car with all the upgrades. None of these options gets you a car with a warranty.

Oh yeah, my best option.

Buy a highly upgraded GT from the classified for $30k with aluminator and FI already done.

I've always found the money debate was a hard one to have because its worth different things to different people. For example, i had a 2010 mazdaspeed3 that i paid $24k for brand new, put a few $k in bolt ons and nice parts and got beat by my buddies $7k neon with a few $k in bolt ons. His argument was that i bought the wrong car since he was going faster for cheaper. My argument was that he was driving a $7k neon lol ...

500 may be a stretch on a stock 4 cylinder motor, but there are no shortage of stock 4 cylinder motors surviving at 400-450, its just how greedy you get with the torque in the mid range that dictates how long your motor lives.

Bmr4life

Established Member
I've always found the money debate was a hard one to have because its worth different things to different people. For example, i had a 2010 mazdaspeed3 that i paid $24k for brand new, put a few $k in bolt ons and nice parts and got beat by my buddies $7k neon with a few $k in bolt ons. His argument was that i bought the wrong car since he was going faster for cheaper. My argument was that he was driving a $7k neon lol ...

500 may be a stretch on a stock 4 cylinder motor, but there are no shortage of stock 4 cylinder motors surviving at 400-450, its just how greedy you get with the torque in the mid range that dictates how long your motor lives.

I get your example, its still a neon. But when it comes to buying a recent model year mustang with the intent to drag race it (who else would put $4k+ worth engine mods into a mustang?) its hard to justify getting a new ecoboost over a used GT. $ for HP.

Again, not knocking the Ecoboost because that shit is impressive. But after a point you've spent a lot of money to get a 4 cylinder to safely make 500rwhp. Funny thing though is there's no cheap way to get a Coyote to exactly 500rwhp. You either stay NA and spend a shit ton of money, go cheap and use NOS, or go for the middle cost option of FI and completely overshoot the 500rwhp goal no matter which kit you buy.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
lol funny you say that, my goal for my 5.0 was 500 and there was no good way to get there.

i understand where you're coming from regarding how hard the engine has to work to make power. My argument is that, yes, while a 4 cylinder has to work harder to make X horsepower compared to a V8, that does not necessarily mean it is working hard you know? I think a lot of people are still under the impression that any 4 cylinder over 250 whp is going to instantly grenade itself, and thats just not the case.

Granted, im on both sides of the coin here, I LOVE turbo 4s because they are just a stupid amount of fun, and honestly being the underdog is cool when you win. At the same time, my all motor 5.0 wasnt making bad power either, ran on pump gas, and was just easier ... its hard to say which i like better at this point really.

Users who are viewing this thread