500hp build up ?

wedan426

Established Member
i have a 93 5.0 thunderbird that im building to make about 500hp. i am trying to find the weakest link in the drivetrain. i think im still going to use an aod trans but im not sure about the rear end. the rear end is stock now but i have been told to swap it for a supercoupe rear end. just trying to find out what everyone is doin to hold that kind of power

lscfn10

Established Member
How much of the rear are you planning on swapping? I know the SC's axles are stronger than what yours would be, can't remember for sure if they have track lok (believe they do).

If your swapping the whole rear end I'd say find one out of a Mark VIII if you want to stay with 28 splines. The axles are stronger than the SuperCoupes, the differential carrier is aluminum to save some wait compared to the birds aluminum. Heck if you find a 93 Mark VIII you can swap the one piece drive shaft as well. Mark VIII's only came with open diffs so you'll need a rebuild. For anything stronger I'd swap from a 99+ Cobra, though the splines will be different, although I think 99's had 28 splines like the birds. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

Users who are viewing this thread