5000 Mile Update | BRaptor HomeBrew Oil Separator Ver. 2.0

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The very first mod I made to my BRaptor was to cobble together a homemade oil separator kit from a pile of spare JLT parts. Now that I have 5000 miles on the rig I'm on to Version 2.0 of my design, this time with a little help from J&L OSC via some new parts. With about 3000 miles on that setup I decided to take a look at how much it has collected. Let's just say I'm glad this thing is in place. Check it out:

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Travis,

Thanks for the video. Hopefully Ford will address this problem.

1) Please explain "why" you're happy the oil separator is installed. You mentioned it, but it'd be very beneficial for those who may not know the specifics.

Please include a, "Hey Ford, do this" part. If they built a robust EB from the factory, you wouldn't need this video.

2) I got a slight "whiff" of oily smell a couple days ago from our 2019 3.5L Ecoboost Explorer Sport. I'm not 100% certain the hose sent to me by OSC will be an end all to the smell I experienced seeping through the hose. Pic of hose.

1673459596530.jpeg

3) From what I see and have experienced, if you drive that Bronco up north, you'd soon run out of liquid accumulation capacity with that 3 ounce can like I do. The water accumulated from condensation will fill that can in less than 5k miles.
You'll need to modify that mount for a taller can too.
JLT recommended checking it at 10k miles when I installed mine on 11/3/19. It needs to be checked and dumped a maximum 3k miles anywhere up north.

4) OSC needs to modify all their mounts to accommodate cans that can hold a minimum of 6 ounces.

FWIW, I didn't install the OSC Oil Separator on or Explorer until 8,400 miles.

Thanks again for the video.

02HD677

"Blow-by" oil ingestion has been an on-going issue since Ford started offering boosted engines! I remember cobbling together an "catch-bottle" from a big,old compressor to "catch/strain-out" the "blow-by" on 5.4 Lightning trucks. Fortunately, there are many aftermarket, nicely engineered larger billet aluminum versions available for about $100.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
"Blow-by" oil ingestion has been an on-going issue since Ford started offering boosted engines! I remember cobbling together an "catch-bottle" from a big,old compressor to "catch/strain-out" the "blow-by" on 5.4 Lightning trucks. Fortunately, there are many aftermarket, nicely engineered larger billet aluminum versions available for about $100.

Same here. I still have the Cambel separator somewhere.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the update, Travis. I installed a J&L OSC separator on my G70 over a month ago but have only put maybe 200 miles on it. I intend to check the catch can around August. I'm not expecting to see much in there at that point. We'll see.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thanks for the update, Travis. I installed a J&L OSC separator on my G70 over a month ago but have only put maybe 200 miles on it. I intend to check the catch can around August. I'm not expecting to see much in there at that point. We'll see.

I was working on a F-150 Raptor R yesterday, and was very surprised to see the amount of oil on the intercooler after just 4,000 miles.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
From what I've read, the amount collected will vary from engine to engine, manufacturer to manufacturer. What I saw on Genesis G70 forums leads me to believe that I won't accumulate much in the catcher. I'll know in a couple of months.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So I checked my oil catch can this morning (approx. 1,500 miles) and there was about a tablespoon of oil in the can. About what I expected. I'll be check the can in another 2,000 miles or when the cover goes on the car in December.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Maybe not as " cosmetic " as your JLT parts, this Jegs ( $ 50 ) separator has been in service since 2011, spliced into the OEM tubing.

Worked well enough I did the same set-up on my 2014..

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
So I checked my oil catch can this morning (approx. 1,500 miles) and there was about a tablespoon of oil in the can. About what I expected. I'll be check the can in another 2,000 miles or when the cover goes on the car in December.

I'm due for an oil change, so I'll be checking it again soon.

Maybe not as " cosmetic " as your JLT parts, this Jegs ( $ 50 ) separator has been in service since 2011, spliced into the OEM tubing.

Worked well enough I did the same set-up on my 2014..

Aesthetics < Results

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank low tension, thin piston rings on modern engines for some of this crap.

I need a BRaptor in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread