5 lug conversion

SYMach9184

Established Member
Im looking to switch from 4 lug to 5 lug on my 92 notch. What is my best option? I want a 4 wheel disc brake setup, and possibly 13" rotors upfront. I checked out the ford racing setup but it is alot of money for brakes. If that is the easiest option then I will do it but I would like to see what others did first. Also what suspension and wheels are you guys running with your conversion? Thanks Mike

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I would say 94-04 A-Arms, GT Calipers and spindles up front is probably your cheapest route if you don't care what you have up front.

Yellow4.6

Established Member
Run 94-95 spindles and hubs, reuse your Fox A arms with 94-95 Balljoints and get some 13" rotors and Cobra or GT calipers for the front.

Rear I suggest going with NRC's rear kit.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I would recommend keeping your Fox control arms. The 94+ front lowers widen the car quite a bit and aren't worth it.

Cheapest way is to pick up any 94+ front spindles; 94/5 are preferred.

99+ GT's got PBR 2-piston calipers, think a "baby" version of the typical PBR Cobra caliper.

That is plenty of brake on the street with the proper pad and a fresh set of rotors.

North Cobra rear axle brackets are def. the way to go as they retain the stock rear track width/Fox length axles.

You can source cheap 28spline 5-lug axles from the Ford Ranger. 5.0 Resto also has an economical kit for the rear.

Or there are several rear disc setups.

87-93  Ford Fox Body Mustang Brake Upgrades

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/mc/installation_94gt_kit.pdf

SYMach9184

Established Member
I would recommend keeping your Fox control arms. The 94+ front lowers widen the car quite a bit and aren't worth it.

Cheapest way is to pick up any 94+ front spindles; 94/5 are preferred.

99+ GT's got PBR 2-piston calipers, think a "baby" version of the typical PBR Cobra caliper.

That is plenty of brake on the street with the proper pad and a fresh set of rotors.

North Cobra rear axle brackets are def. the way to go as they retain the stock rear track width/Fox length axles.

You can source cheap 28spline 5-lug axles from the Ford Ranger. 5.0 Resto also has an economical kit for the rear.

Or there are several rear disc setups.

87-93* Ford Fox Body Mustang Brake Upgrades

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/mc/installation_94gt_kit.pdf

If I use the stock lower control arms all I need is the spindles and hubs from 94-95? If so do I need any master cyclinder upgrades or brake booster? Will 03-04 cobra wheels work fine with this setup?

blownfox

Established Member
I have 94 GT spindles, 03-04 cobra calipers and rotors, and I'm using the stock master cyclinder/booster. You should only need to up grade the master cylinder if you convert the rear to disc.

I have stock ball joint but I had to shim they up. The only reason I did this is because I will be doing a K-member and will order 94 arms and ball joints.

Yellow4.6

Established Member
If I use the stock lower control arms all I need is the spindles and hubs from 94-95? If so do I need any master cyclinder upgrades or brake booster? Will 03-04 cobra wheels work fine with this setup?

Right just find some 94/95 spindles and hubs, (96-04 are a wider track) and i'd just buy a set of 94/95 ball joints you can shim them but I've never really liked the idea of that.....just me.

As for the MC i'd run a 93 Cobra MC and yes 03/04 wheels will work.

NRC= North Race Cars

Nino S

Established Member
If you are doing front and rear discs and want to go all out and do it all. I have this stock pile sitting in my garage waiting to install.
94/95 Front Spindles
New A Arms, I went with granatelli k member and A arms, bumpsteer etc
10th Cobra front calipers and rotors 13"
93 Cobra master and brake booster
proportioning valve ( not necessary )
MM stainless lines front and rear
North Race car brackets for rear
moser axles
Cobra rear 11.65" discs paint red to match 10th fronts
93 Cobra E brake lines (3 total)
17x9 OEM 10th Anniversary Wheels

I am going a little overboard I just wanted to get it all done at one time.

Yellow4.6

Established Member
If you are doing front and rear discs and want to go all out and do it all. I have this stock pile sitting in my garage waiting to install.
94/95 Front Spindles
New A Arms, I went with granatelli k member and A arms, bumpsteer etc
10th Cobra front calipers and rotors 13"
93 Cobra master and brake booster
proportioning valve ( not necessary )
MM stainless lines front and rear
North Race car brackets for rear
moser axles
Cobra rear 11.65" discs paint red to match 10th fronts
93 Cobra E brake lines (3 total)
17x9 OEM 10th Anniversary Wheels

I am going a little overboard I just wanted to get it all done at one time.

Would you sell the 93 Cobra MC and booster?

Users who are viewing this thread