5 Liter Compression

matt281

Banned
I am looking to start with my 89 and I have a few questions.

1) What is the stock compression for the 5.0
2) the Car has 130,000 miles and has been driven like any other mustang is this a ton of miles?

The reason I ask is I plan on starting with interior and then suspension and I want the engine to last me a little while so I don't get part of the way through and pop goes the engine...

The mods are pretty basic also just exhaust, CAI, 3.73 gears... Nothing else... I plan on normal driving and a shot down the 1/8 mile near my a house every month or so...

Any advise or people with higher mileage cars and experience is greatly appreciated.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Stock compression is 9.0-1

For a well maintained 5.0 130K mile is no big deal. I have 97K on mine and run it on the road course for 25 minutes at a time in the upper rpm range. For the basic bolt ons you have your motor should be good for a while.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
130k is nothing. I was racing mine every week with 175k miles on it. Properly maintained, it will last you a while. Mine would have lived longer under the stock engine but I nicked a cam bearing doing a blower cam swap and the rest is history.

matt281

Banned
Thanks for the help so far and I would like to clarify some things too...

I do have a smell of oil burning but that may be from the valve covers and such and I do get some smoke from the exhaust from time to time...

Also I know the compression ratio I would like to know what the compression PSI is... I am assuming 9 times atmosphere which would be 14.695 PSI x 9 = 132.255psi but I didn't know if anyone had anymore data on this...

One more thing this car has not been driven since 2001 and has only been cranked and ran every 2-4months for about a 2 mile ride and to let it warm up... Any suggestions on what I should do before trying to put it back on the road...

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
The oil smell is probably from the valve cover gaskets leaking, it is a common problem with the 5.0s.

As far as your car sitting for a long time with a few start ups on occasion, you should be fine. That is exactly the same scenario as with my car before I started using it for OT this year. It sat for 7 years in a garage with a start up about every 4 months. I would change the oil, do a basic tune up (which includes checking the timing), and replacing the gas in the tank if the same gas has been in there for the past couple years.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member

valve covers came off... noticed the roller rockers. was told it had an E cam in it that it turned out not to have... so about 2 days later after the valve covers came off so did the timing cover the cam the AC the power steering the smog pump and anything else i could get rid of. shit snowballed on me

Users who are viewing this thread