5.8L GT500 Rod Failure

GTMAN212

Established Member
Was expecting 1200-1300rwhp. What happened with vmp tuning it?
Something had to happen between him and VMP and wont tell anyone. Multiple people have asked on fb and his you tube channel and I have yet to see a response. It must of been something bad.

BJCobra99

Established Member
Looks like it's time to move to a t56 magnumXL. With a bell housing that can be removed and I would probably have the inside built with billet parts since you're reaching 1300hp. I'm curious if a chiller killer would help IAT2 temps with your hot florida weather? Thanks for the build vids Andrew, they rock!

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Something had to happen between him and VMP and wont tell anyone. Multiple people have asked on fb and his you tube channel and I have yet to see a response. It must of been something bad.

I have answered this question a few times in some videos but not everyone sees that. VMP was having issues getting the car to idle and run right. It was running super rich and wouldn't come back down to idle after revving and wouldn't hot start. After data logging and going back and fourth we didn't get any progress and I was concerned it was running too rich and might damage things. I am good friends with Rob Shoemaker from Palm Beach Dyno. I told him the basic run down of the setup: JLT 148, ID1300, 10:5:1 Compression, Aggressive Cams, Dual BAP, VMP 163R TB, Longtubes etc and he sent me a tune and it started right up and I was able to drive the car. It made my decision pretty easy on who to tune this new setup. There is more to the story but I'll just leave it there. Palm Beach Dyno tunes my Whippled 2018 GT350R, Whippled 2016 Mustang GT, and 2018 F150 5.0L so it only makes sense to have them tune this beast and they did an awesome job.

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
I thought it was his Tranny that gave up?

Isn't it a new built motor?

Funny story. Ben Calimer Got the trans torn apart and said it was fine. So I decided to check out the rear end and thats when we found a chipped ring gear and a main cap bolt backing out. So now I ordered a Strange 35 Spline Spool setup and new Ford 3.31 Gears to go back in. Our guess is that the bolt backed out and when I got on it in 2nd gear the housing shifting and the ring gear broke.

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
The car should be back together in the next few weeks with a Calimer Built TR6060 and a Strange 35 Spline Built Rear End. Ready to hit the street and get kicked out of the dragstrip for going too fast for the current safety equipment ;)

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Trans and Rear end are in! I received the wrong rear brake caliper brackets for the c clip eliminators so hopefully finishing it up today and will finally be able to drive the car. They sent me 13-14 big rotor brackets and I have the BPS smaller rotors and run a 15" Weld Rear so they didn't fit.

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
I'll have to catch up on everything you've done, and the cars you have. I was tracking the Gt500 and the F150. Didn't know you had a 350R until the vid you raced the Crusher Cobra.

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Well we got the Calimer Built TR6060 and Strange 35 Spline Rear End Done. I definitely regret getting the 5/8" studs because it limits my wheel choices. If anyone wants to trade axles with standard studs let me know. I also received the wrong brake caliper brackets so we had to delay the first drive a few days.

We managed to get the car finished up and took It our for a drive and it rips! Managed to get a 5.5 60-130MPH spinning first night with it.
I took the car to Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach SC and had a blast driving the car around on the street. I also put it on the dyno at Lets Go Automotive since they wanted to see a car break 1000 hp on their new dyno and was happy to see 1082RWHP which is spot on since it was on the MT Pro Radial and it had previously been dynod on a street tire.

I took the car out a few days and managed to get the 60-130MPH down to a 5.1 but still having some issues hooking up on the street.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So if I made 1110rwhp SAE on an MT ET R does that mean my car makes more power? :)
J/k man, I hope you get to the track sooner or later, I’m running out of time here myself.
Any advice on Draggy 60-130?
I’m going to test with a friends this weekend.
Also, don’t regret the 5/8” studs. It’s one regret I have with mine. When you make this power and torque, you’re never really going to be able to use a ‘street’ tire safely, so 5/8” ready wheels (probably a max 18” but more like 15” or 17”) are the reality.
Everyone I’ve taken out in my car has been impressed with the 315/50/17 ET Rs. They’re tall which helps, but I’m also rocking a 4.0 geared 9”.
You’re car with a 3.31 will be a 1/2” mile killer!
Good luck.
BTW the FIC 1650s fixed my fueling, but I’m still have a very strange TB closing issue intermittently but regularly from 6000-6800rpm range but then reopens by 7000rpm. Weird. Might have to try the trusty KB168.
-J

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
So if I made 1110rwhp SAE on an MT ET R does that mean my car makes more power? :)
J/k man, I hope you get to the track sooner or later, I’m running out of time here myself.
Any advice on Draggy 60-130?
I’m going to test with a friends this weekend.
Also, don’t regret the 5/8” studs. It’s one regret I have with mine. When you make this power and torque, you’re never really going to be able to use a ‘street’ tire safely, so 5/8” ready wheels (probably a max 18” but more like 15” or 17”) are the reality.
Everyone I’ve taken out in my car has been impressed with the 315/50/17 ET Rs. They’re tall which helps, but I’m also rocking a 4.0 geared 9”.
You’re car with a 3.31 will be a 1/2” mile killer!
Good luck.
BTW the FIC 1650s fixed my fueling, but I’m still have a very strange TB closing issue intermittently but regularly from 6000-6800rpm range but then reopens by 7000rpm. Weird. Might have to try the trusty KB168.
-J
Dragy 60-130MPH is tough with this much power. Mine went much faster keeping it in 3rd rather than trying to hook 2nd. I talked with Ken and Rob at PBD and we might try some different things to get it to hook on the street. I also have a BMR rear swaybar coming for the car since right now I am running no rear swaybar.

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
I'll have to catch up on everything you've done, and the cars you have. I was tracking the Gt500 and the F150. Didn't know you had a 350R until the vid you raced the Crusher Cobra.
Haha yeah we picked up a GT350R in March for Ashley to drive along side my GT500.

Users who are viewing this thread