5.8L GT500 Rod Failure

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Long video on the motor but I liked the detail. I did not know about difference in oil squirters for instance. Seems like your guy knows his shit.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Have you taken a look at the intercooler with the motor out? Could be coated, good time to clean it or replace it with the KB Big un? Good luck with the build

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a fully ported and welded lower intake with the KB Bigun intercooler. It was the only option but VMP will be giving us another option.
I will be testing Justin’s new design soon and I’m sure it’ll be as good as the KB unit.
I’m assuming Andrew will likely have VMPs new offering.
Andrew what are your rebuild plans for 5.8 v2.0?
-J

merkyworks

Established Member
I have a fully ported and welded lower intake with the KB Bigun intercooler. It was the only option but VMP will be giving us another option.

Say what?! Are you able to offer any details/info on this?

I haven't heard anything about this, I feel so off "out of the know" LOL.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Say what?! Are you able to offer any details/info on this?

I haven't heard anything about this, I feel so off "out of the know" LOL.

Justin has been showing bricks here and there with little info on them. I think I saw something on their IG maybe about a better GT500 brick.
I wanna say J2Fab may be working on something as well, or maybe VMP is working with them? I saw something about them with a new brick testing as well.

merkyworks

Established Member
All of these new IC/intake designs I keep hearing about are all just vaporware as far as I'm concerned, pics or it didn't happen ;)

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
Department of Boost :: Cooling/Intercoolers

It's not out yet (and it may never come to fruition), but he did send me some CAD drawings of it last year...it was pretty cool.

upload_2020-1-20_14-3-52.png

Last edited:

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Update time! Block is still with L&M getting sleeved. Jordan got the heads stripped down and ready for porting. I went down to Modular Head Shop to film the porting process of one cylinder. Jordan went into some great detail on the porting process which I think is awesome to share.

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Guess he didn't know almost every 5.8 crankshaft had tungsten weight added to the front to balance out for the heavier Mahle pistons.

Yes, someone posted a really neat video from SVT back in the day, with each engineer going through his stuff. When they got to engine part they mentioned adding the slug of mallory to offset the piston/rod weight on the 5.8. Even showed the extra cooling hole in the block and the 90 degree connection passage. He did mention he wasn't used to GT500 stuff of tearing it down. And he mentioned the Mehle pistons. Great documentary though!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great vids on the head porting and machining tech.
What are your lower intake and intercooler brick plans?
What compression are you planning to run?
-J

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I need to check those videos later once I'm done with today's activities. I love techie stuff like that.

Tony

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Great vids on the head porting and machining tech.
What are your lower intake and intercooler brick plans?
What compression are you planning to run?
-J

10:5:1 compression. Planning to install stock lower intake. It’s not hard to swap out later ;)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Please don’t install the stock, unported lower intake on those beautiful ported heads. I’m assuming you’re having MHS port the lower intake to match?
My whole point is you want to remove the most restrictive parts. After the stock TB, the lower intake is probably the next weakest link in the induction flow path.
I’m waiting to hear back from Justin, but I’ll have a fully ported lower with KB Bigun intercooler if you need what those heads deserve :)
And yes, part of me wishes I fully ported my heads (only port matched to the ported lower).
You’ll have close to 1100rwhp soon with matching torque, going to have to up the tire game.
I recommend 315/50/17s.
-J

GTMAN212

Established Member
Please don’t install the stock, unported lower intake on those beautiful ported heads. I’m assuming you’re having MHS port the lower intake to match?
My whole point is you want to remove the most restrictive parts. After the stock TB, the lower intake is probably the next weakest link in the induction flow path.
I’m waiting to hear back from Justin, but I’ll have a fully ported lower with KB Bigun intercooler if you need what those heads deserve :)
And yes, part of me wishes I fully ported my heads (only port matched to the ported lower).
You’ll have close to 1100rwhp soon with matching torque, going to have to up the tire game.
I recommend 315/50/17s.
-J

Exactly! Why not just put a ported lower on there the engine has to be put back together anyway. What would be the point of putting ported heads on with a stock lower manifold.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Exactly! Why not just put a ported lower on there the engine has to be put back together anyway. What would be the point of putting ported heads on with a stock lower manifold.
That is the point, there isn’t one with that plan :)
-J

sleek98

Established Member
It could be a budget thing. The stock lower is much easier to remove and get ported later once the initial budget gets spent.

Users who are viewing this thread