5.8L GT500 Rod Failure

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Hello everyone! I just wanted to share the latest on my 14 GT500. Disclaimer: I had full intentions, plans, and funds ready for this if it did happen. I don't regret anything and I do not blame anything except raw horsepower and torque on a cool Florida Day.

My Setup:
2014 GT500 31k Miles
Stock Unopened 5.8L GT500 Engine
VMP Gen 3 R: 2.6 Pulley + VMP 163R + JLT 123mm
LTH 1 7/8" Longtube Headers
E85 - Tuned by VMP - Around 20-21 Degrees of timing. (I wanted the car to make some power)
VMP Dual Fuel Pump Boosters
FIC1000cc Injectors

The car made 822RWHP 768RWT

The car made four bottom 10 second passes @ 139-141 MPH. It ran a best of 10.05 @ 141 MPH

I had recently made the plan to not install L&M NSR cams on the stock engine but instead to pull the engine and build it. The plan is to Sleeve the 5.8, 10:5:1 Compression, Rods, Pistons, Timing components upgrades, Ported heads, valve job, valve springs, rowdy cams, and everything needed to make 1000+ with the Gen 3 R. I did not expect the engine to go but I got very lucky.

Now for the fun part. On a cold (not humid) Florida day we got some 60 MPH rolls in with a 894RWHP Procharged GT350. 1st run let out early. 2nd and 3rd gear we ran out to the top of 4th which on a 29.5" tall street tire is pretty fast (you can do the math). Some say RPM killed the engine. I always shifted the car at 6800 when racing.

Here is the video of the racing and knocking. Also includes a compression test which showed 170-190 PSI in all 8 Cylinders but there was some metal flake in the oil and oil filter

This video shows further tear down and the final conclusion of a bent rod.

All in all I had a blast these last 8 Months and I am so excited to finally get the built engine in the car. The new 5.8L is going to be a beast. I will keep my YouTube channel and SVTP on the progress and a full tear down at Modular Head Shop.

cat=109&_nc_ohc=kpy7HShD3lYAQklUdOVdQYw4zEUMr_zezDZDf9LC7MkMNaaDbpBMsN4tA&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.jpg

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Great videos and the car ran hard as hell, you're lucky you didn't snap that rod lol. But I'm sure it will be a nasty bitch once it's back together.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thats actually very impressive. Made great power and handled those high revs for a decent while. In that time did you ever miss shift at that high of revs?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Impressive is right.

Good luck on the rebuild!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
LUCKY.
Man did you gamble for a long while with that engine.
The fact that it simply bent a rod due to the great power you were making without breaking—man was that great luck that saved you at least $5000.
Better be lucky than good as they say, but in saying that, I’m happy for your luck and look forward to seeing the beast of 5.8 you’ll be building.
I know you’re working with VMP and a capable engine shop, but it’d be nice to share the build here, not just after the fact through your You Tube channel.
Many of us here have been there, doing that and willing to share our experience.
Again, congrats on that lucky break :) and good luck on the 5.8 build.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Can you still use the motor you pulled out the car?
In just bending the rod, yes!
Hopefully that’s all it is, and no other damage.
By only bending the rod, the block and heads should have survived to see another day.
He has the right idea to sleeve the block, but if the bore roundness are in spec and if there is enough thickness left on the PWTA lining (it is micro thin and can take the lightest of hone jobs), the block could be reused.
I’m looking forward to his build, and my suggestion would be, if keeping the VMP Gen 3R, follow the lead of John Sr at Lund Racing.
-J

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Thats actually very impressive. Made great power and handled those high revs for a decent while. In that time did you ever miss shift at that high of revs?

I rarely missed a shift. I use a wot box to shift which helps not getting locked out.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
would it be worth swapping the rods themselves with out doing anything else? any input?

Would be a waste of labor. If OP had not been making big power then at least doing rods and pistons would be smart.

HPLouis

Established Member
In just bending the rod, yes!
Hopefully that’s all it is, and no other damage.
By only bending the rod, the block and heads should have survived to see another day.
He has the right idea to sleeve the block, but if the bore roundness are in spec and if there is enough thickness left on the PWTA lining (it is micro thin and can take the lightest of hone jobs), the block could be reused.
I’m looking forward to his build, and my suggestion would be, if keeping the VMP Gen 3R, follow the lead of John Sr at Lund Racing.
-J

Thanks!!!

darksykal

Established Member
love your channel- i think we were all waiting for that to happen so no surprises there.

honestly when you were on the dyno with Andrew? from VMP I thought it was gonna let go at that point.

can't wait to follow the build-

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
A toast to you not giving AF and cheating destiny. Look forward to your build. Be sure to add Bigun IC to your list. Worth it.
That's a pretty awesome idea/product. I never knew there was such a part.
Someone should make one of these for the '18/'19 Mustangs with superchargers. ****HINT HINT

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Update: I dropped off the engine with Jordan Martin of Modular Head Shop. We have had the build planned out for a while and luckily a bent rod didn't disrupt our plans. Below is the full teardown video. Jordan mentioned Mallory in the crankshaft which has been pointed out by others was actually from the factory.

I am very excited to get the engine back and break into the 4 digit horsepower numbers!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Update: I dropped off the engine with Jordan Martin of Modular Head Shop. We have had the build planned out for a while and luckily a bent rod didn't disrupt our plans. Below is the full teardown video. Jordan mentioned Mallory in the crankshaft which has been pointed out by others was actually from the factory.

I am very excited to get the engine back and break into the 4 digit horsepower numbers!

Guess he didn't know almost every 5.8 crankshaft had tungsten weight added to the front to balance out for the heavier Mahle pistons.

PM-Performance

Established Member

Andrew, this was a great video! I wish you focused more on this stuff than Carmax videos and getting coffee.
I love your tech videos, but usually skip through the burnouts, getting coffee and going to carmax to waste people's time on appraisals.

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Andrew, this was a great video! I wish you focused more on this stuff than Carmax videos and getting coffee.
I love your tech videos, but usually skip through the burnouts, getting coffee and going to carmax to waste people's time on appraisals.

I understand where you are coming from but I do have a very diverse audience. Carmax video is boring to some but you have to understand you don't get anywhere without trying different ideas. Some ideas are great and some aren't. Some people still complain to this day that I made a mistake upgrading to a GT500 rather than keeping an 03 Cobra. I would strongly disagree.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I understand where you are coming from but I do have a very diverse audience. Carmax video is boring to some but you have to understand you don't get anywhere without trying different ideas. Some ideas are great and some aren't. Some people still complain to this day that I made a mistake upgrading to a GT500 rather than keeping an 03 Cobra. I would strongly disagree.
Trust me I get that too from my SN95 fans. lol.
I get it, kids like dumb stuff like that and it makes money. I will never for the life of me understand why anyone cares about videos like that, but I truly do enjoy the technical content and racing content.

Users who are viewing this thread