5.4 Upper Intake, Help!

a64armt

Established Member
Ok, I have managed to damage my upper air intake manifold for my NA 5.4 in my Expedition.

I had just started receiving the P0401 code, Insufficient EGR flow. I decided to check the voltages and such, no issues. Ok, I will check the EGR passages for blockages................................:shrug:

When I went to loosen the rear EGR valve bolt, I cracked the "ear" in the upper intake manifold where it mounts. :xpl: I wanted to vomit when it happened. Even worse, the broken piece fell under the intake manifold and I can't seem to "fish" it out. What a pain.

So, what started as a simple check engine code, is now an upper air intake issue. Joy!

Ok, I removed the upper air intake and I have considered new part, initial search yields the cost can be $800. Ok, I will check for a shop to repair via weld or weld a stud so I can mount the EGR valve. Another option is to look for a used upper air intake being sold by someone far more ambitious than I who has installed a supercharger.

The last option was to search for an aftermarket, or performance upper air intake. I have seen a few on E-bay with larger throttle body's for about $250.

This is not a performance vehicle what so ever, it is a 1997 5.4 4x4 Expedition with 165,000 miles.

Any ideas, suggestions, or even parts for sale?

Additionally, I am headed back to Iraq in a couple of weeks and I was hoping to have this solved before I leave so my wife can drive the truck. So, time is short. Subsequently, I have posted this on a couple of sections hoping to get a quick response, or even catch someone selling the part I require.

Thanks in advance.

Vincent

machstang23

Established Member
if I was in your situation and in a hurry to get it running again and did not want a performance part on it, I would call around to some near by junkyards and see if they have the intake you require, chances are someone will, and you can normally pick up junkyard parts for a lot cheaper than new, and you don't have to deal with the hassle of shipping or getting "taken" by someone selling one on the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread