5.4 Rebuild: new built short block or upgrade mine?

speedy2012

Established Member
Hey guys , I've read a few posts on guys who have engine issues inquiring about rebuilds . Sorry if this has been completely covered already .
I have a 2012 GT500 with the 5.4 - upgraded supercharger ( VMP Gen 2 R ) , injectors , headers , Dual fan H/E , boost pump , 1050 ID , and some other things .
Engine is running well ( fingers crossed ) , but I really want to upgrade the rotating internals BEFORE something catastrophic happens .
I see upgrade kits on various sites ( rods , pistons , Cobra Jet crank , etc ) for like $3,500 & up ,and was wondering if there is one over any other recommended .
I'm looking more for strength than huge HP gains - but of course a little more power wouldn't be bad . I'm currently just over 700 at the wheels - about 20 lbs of boost , on E85 .

If I wind up around 800 or so with a really strong bottom end , that's great .Not planning on tracking the car much if at all .

My question is - is it almost cheaper to buy a completely built short block - I see they are going for around 12- 13 $K - of course then you have shipping cost plus install $$ ....

I would think just having my short block rebuilt with the forged internals - plus engine removal and install should be cheaper ?

Of course then there are the other questions . like should I really go with the upgraded timing chain guides and other parts - 8mm to 10 mm , or is that really not necessary , does the block have to be sleeved , etc ?I guess there is almost an endless list of potential upgrades - just wondering which ones are really important ...

I would upgrade the oil pump gears .

I have a really good tuner , but don't think he does the engine stuff .

I live in the NY/ Long Island area .

Would like to try to get this done for under $15K or so - don't know if that is realistic ....

Thanks in advance for any input .

coposrv

Established Member
L and M is I believe in Pa but shouldn’t be too far away from you. That would be my first phone call. But yeah. Absolutely better off doing anything before it blows up.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you dont want the car down for 1/2 year then buy a built long block. If you dont care how long the car is down the have yours built. Personally at 700hp on E85 your fine unless your running a too aggressive tune. I say enjoy the car, save your money and plan your build with the shop you want to do the work.

speedy2012

Established Member
Thanks - I'm looking/shopping around now for options . I'm not in any mad rush to do it - probably in Oct/Nov , after the "season " , this way if the car is down for a while it's not a big deal ....

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
L&M motor in mine for 10 years, Mike knows his stuff and builds good motors. I had to do mine, thanks OEM oil pump, if you do build a motor upgrade the oil pump gears for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread