5.4 and 6.2 same block and heads??

jeffs

Established Member
Just wondering if the basic engine foundation is the same for both of these engines, as I'd like to be able to supercharge the 6.2, and if it's the same foundation as the 5.4 Any aftermarket blowers should physically fit, unless there's going to be a specific kit for the 6.2? Anybody know?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i would bore and stroke unless it will be a daily driver and you dont plan on running it hard.

ford has already tested the block up to 7.5 and 750hp n/a. roush is running a 7.0 800hp n/a in a drag car right now! for hot desert running stay away from the blower and heat soak. as mentioned you can get the power much more efficiently by staying n/a.

jeffs

Established Member
I figured it might be of the modular family, because of Pashcal performance's 6.2 rotating assembly available for the 5.4

So a completely different style of engine is only going to increase the price of the truck by about 4-5K ??? Doesn't make much sense to me.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I figured it might be of the modular family, because of Pashcal performance's 6.2 rotating assembly available for the 5.4

So a completely different style of engine is only going to increase the price of the truck by about 4-5K ??? Doesn't make much sense to me.

try $3k!:pepper: 5.4 is 39k and the 6.2 is 42k!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
i would bore and stroke unless it will be a daily driver and you dont plan on running it hard.

ford has already tested the block up to 7.5 and 750hp n/a. roush is running a 7.0 800hp n/a in a drag car right now! for hot desert running stay away from the blower and heat soak. as mentioned you can get the power much more efficiently by staying n/a.

This.:beer:

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
The 6.2L Premium V8 is not at all related to the 5.4L Modular V8. Completely different architectures, designs, etc. I don't believe there are any common parts between the two.

And yes, it's only "3k more" because of volume...lots of Superduties will have the 6.2L so thank a Superduty owner when you see him/her. :beer:

jeffs

Established Member
gotcha, so I'm guessing it would be easier / cheaper to upgrade the tried and true 5.4, since it has a better following from the aftermarket.

whip

Established Member
Jeff, I think the mods will come out pretty quick for the 6.2. Initially, it may be cheaper to mod the 5.4, but I think in the long run you'd be better waiting. Figure, the 6.2 should come in stock at around 400hp. Add a tune, exhaust, little odds and ends, maybe 450hp? Thats pretty stout. Not enough? Blow it! drop a whipple on that baby, and I'll bet you got close to 600hp on tap. NOW....can the lower end handle it????

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Not enough? Blow it! drop a whipple on that baby, and I'll bet you got close to 600hp on tap. NOW....can the lower end handle it????

only blow it if want to add weight and heat stroke i mean heat soak. running round in the dirt the last thing you want is to add more heat. as we have stated before, you can get horsepower out of this motor with no forced injection! such as 800hp, or close to what the trophy trucks run! with no blower!;-)

Jroc

Established Member
The 5.4 has a longer stroke,(what other factory gas motor does it not have a longer stroke than other than a 8100 Vortec?) but the 6.2 has a much bigger bore which is exactly what it needs. Also has with more bore spacing, SOHC 2v heads with big valves,(These 2v heads should flow pretty good I would think) etc.

whip

Established Member
I don't think the heat soak would be that bad. I mean, you would have to go easy on boost, not pulley the heck out of it. And make sure you have a large heat exchanger. Remember that 800hp drag car is build for doing just that. One quarter of a mile. How do you think that will hold up to desert running? I know I drive my 600hp whippled truck through city traffic all the time. Just like some times at the track if you are running brackets on a hot day, as the ladder gets smaller, you get less cool down time between runs. Sitting in the staging lanes, heat soaking, waiting to run, going balls out, then jumping right back in if you win your round.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I don't think the heat soak would be that bad. I mean, you would have to go easy on boost, not pulley the heck out of it. And make sure you have a large heat exchanger. Remember that 800hp drag car is build for doing just that. One quarter of a mile. How do you think that will hold up to desert running? I know I drive my 600hp whippled truck through city traffic all the time. Just like some times at the track if you are running brackets on a hot day, as the ladder gets smaller, you get less cool down time between runs. Sitting in the staging lanes, heat soaking, waiting to run, going balls out, then jumping right back in if you win your round.

you think bracket racing is the same as a 500 mile desert race? your right if your not racing it or not out running the dunes for 2+ hours in a day you will not notice heat soak. it will still be there you just will not notice it.

daily driving when your in it hard maybe a 1 minute during the day, a blower will be fine. if you use the truck for what its built for, you will be down on power all day with the blower!

whip

Established Member
Ya, I guess your right. I've never done any kind of desert racing, or even any kind of prolonged power running. I was just thinking, it might be easier to upgrade to a larger intercooler, than to get that same power naturally aspirated. I guess it comes down to how easy it is to make power NA with these motors.

new2BIGPAR

Established Member
And yes, it's only "3k more" because of volume...lots of Superduties will have the 6.2L so thank a Superduty owner when you see him/her. :beer:

Only difference is that the Raptor and SUper Duty's will have different tuning. I believe the Super Duty will have about the same power, but have more torque.

gotcha, so I'm guessing it would be easier / cheaper to upgrade the tried and true 5.4, since it has a better following from the aftermarket.

Just so you know, the Raptor they used to run the Baja had a modded 6.2L that was making 500hp. The mods should be there in a timely fashion once it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread