5.4 4v new edge?

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
If i am not mistaken but isnt there a 5.4 4v in the 2000 cobra R. It really shouldnt be a problem getting them in the new edge. If i was swapping motors, all i would do is get a terminator motor and be done. way stronger than the 5.4 4v motors. The terminators have way better rods than the shelby motors to boot

I agree but the 5.4 4v is different. Different is fun to see and do :beer:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I agree but the 5.4 4v is different. Different is fun to see and do :beer:

I agree. I'm a fan of swapping motors into cars that didn't have them as an option. (with the exception of the 00 cobra R). Someone asks you if it's a 4.6 and you say it's a 5.4.

Here's something that's not done very often (and the benefits of such are debated). You could try a 6.8L V10. The vast majority of which are 2V motors, but the 05 up had the 3V heads, which makes them a better performance alternative to the older 2V (PI and non-PI versions).

I wouldn't swap a 6.8 V10 into a car that originally came with a 4V because it's kind of taking a step back, but if I had a 2V GT or 3V 05-up GT, it would be really cool to try. Basically the same swap as a 5.4 except it has 2 extra cylinders on the front. Takes the same pistons and rods as a 5.4, so you could either build up a high compression version or forge it for forced induction (think Kenne-Bell Mammoth). But there aren't any intakes available for it except for the choked truck intakes designed for low RPM grunt. However, there is a Kenne-Bell supercharger kit available and I believe it replaces the intake with its own (taking care of the intake problem). Unfortunately, no one makes aftermarket cams.

I have only seen a couple 6.8 swaps. There was a V10 "Mule" car that had a 351 CI 4V V10 based on a 4.6 with 2 extra cylinders, but that was a one-off motor, so it's not worth researching for that swap.

The 6.8's sound almost like a V8 but a little higher pitched. Now THAT would be neat to say, "yeah, it's got a V10"

Sorry to get a little off topic, but it is something to consider, or at least daydream about.

Homer

71catruck

Established Member
About the cams for the v10. I was on a sight the other day I think its Sean heyland not sure if that's right. But he had reground stock cams. It makes the base of the lobe smaller to give you more lift and then you run a shim on the lash adjuster not sure if you can do that to the 2v and 3v heads but that would be sick. I would put it in a gt.

Users who are viewing this thread