5.4 4v compound boost gt47-88 with eaton on top

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
the best thing is you'll be in the 8s with a full weight non auto car. 8s is fast but what makes it better is the car isn't gutted and automatic.

That's pretty damn impressive!

In case no one else has said it yet, nice driving!

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Subscribing!
Very nicely done!!! Compound boost set-ups are severly misunderstood.
They are extremely capable when done right.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Thanks by the wayfor the driving compliant and yes i have intake adapters from reichard racing so the lower intake just bolts right on

Are the plates designed for the Navi heads or do they have them for '03 heads on a 5.4? I know the adapters in the past were for Navi heads and a C-head intake.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
What kind of lower intake are you using to get the eaton to fit on the 5.4? Is it a GT500 lower intake?

I'm impressed with your creativity and numbers. I really like seeing unusual combinations like this.

If I were to go compound boost, I'd probably upgrade the blower to something that's a little more efficient with lower parasitic losses and IAT temps. You could gain 100 HP just by getting a blower that takes 100 less HP to drive.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
What kind of lower intake are you using to get the eaton to fit on the 5.4? Is it a GT500 lower intake?

I'm impressed with your creativity and numbers. I really like seeing unusual combinations like this.

If I were to go compound boost, I'd probably upgrade the blower to something that's a little more efficient with lower parasitic losses and IAT temps. You could gain 100 HP just by getting a blower that takes 100 less HP to drive.

He said he is using the 4.6 to 5.4 adaptor plates to fit the 4.6 Eaton lower to the 5.4 Motor.
Also,
Twinscrews won't work. They have a different seal design and they blow them with the added inlet pressures through the blowers. If a different blower is what you want to try, it would have to be an Eaton TVS since they utilize the same seals as the Eaton roots.

Ken

Last edited:

fastmustang70

Established Member
Yeah that might be in the works for next season i just been making the cold pipe bigger from 2 1/2 to 4 inch so we will see if that pipe makes the differents then maybe a tvs

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Yeah that might be in the works for next season i just been making the cold pipe bigger from 2 1/2 to 4 inch so we will see if that pipe makes the differents then maybe a tvs

I think upping the size of the cold pipe to 4" will make a huge difference. With the 2.5" the blower has to suck thru that small pipe off the hit. Reducing the restriction will let the blower work more efficiently as well as aid in spooling the turbos since the blower wont be working as hard off the hit and a larger volume of air can be pulled through the turbos!

I plan to do a compound boost setup myself with my auto and sra. Not sure on motor size yet, but to me the more displacement the better. I would love to get my hands on the new 5.8L out of the 2013 GT500 :beer:

Ken

cobrasvt57

Established Member
Keep up the good work man you have a lot of people watching. Hell you have me looking at up grading my setup to a 5.4 also and compounding it but i may do it another way.

cobrasvt57

Established Member
looks like people are finally taken notice. People including myself at times have got caught up with dyno numbers but at the end of the day bench racing and rwhp numbers mean null is it can't post the numbers. How many 1000rwhp cars you seen in the 10s.I constantly have to remind myself with this coming build what my goals are and the numbers that are needed for me are ET, Gs on a skid pad and drivability.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
It would be interesting to do a comparison with and without the blower, using something like a Procharger intake adapter (to reuse the factory intercooler), or just using a sullivan EFI intake.

I'm not an expert on compound boost... I know it has some benefits, but I just can't get over the feeling that the benefits are, in large part, being outweighed by the parasitic losses associated with driving the blower.

Someone else in here immediately shot my suggestion down to run a more efficient blower, claiming you can't run a twin screw on a compound boost setup. OK. Well, then why not find a more efficient roots blower that takes less HP to spin.

Think of it this way: Let's assume that your blower adds 100 HP at the wheels. But it takes 100 HP to run the blower. Therefore, the blower must add 200 HP to the crank in order to produce 100 HP at the wheels. There's a point of diminishing returns.

If you want to stay compound boost, get a ROOTS blower that is more efficient and takes less HP to drive. That's free power.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
Compound boost isn't about peak numbers. It's about extending the powerband RPM range and increasing power across that extended powerband. The eaton is fairly efficient at lower RPM. He's running a 3.1 upper and I assume stock lower which would put him around 12 psi on a stock 4.6L. I'd guess around 8 psi on his setup without the additional turbo boost. That is really where the eaton shines. I'd love to see his IATs during a pull.

What roots blower would you recommend that's more efficient at such a low RPM?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
It would be interesting to do a comparison with and without the blower, using something like a Procharger intake adapter (to reuse the factory intercooler), or just using a sullivan EFI intake.

I'm not an expert on compound boost... I know it has some benefits, but I just can't get over the feeling that the benefits are, in large part, being outweighed by the parasitic losses associated with driving the blower.

Someone else in here immediately shot my suggestion down to run a more efficient blower, claiming you can't run a twin screw on a compound boost setup. OK. Well, then why not find a more efficient roots blower that takes less HP to spin.

Think of it this way: Let's assume that your blower adds 100 HP at the wheels. But it takes 100 HP to run the blower. Therefore, the blower must add 200 HP to the crank in order to produce 100 HP at the wheels. There's a point of diminishing returns.

If you want to stay compound boost, get a ROOTS blower that is more efficient and takes less HP to drive. That's free power.

Compound boost isn't about peak numbers. It's about extending the powerband RPM range and increasing power across that extended powerband. The eaton is fairly efficient at lower RPM. He's running a 3.1 upper and I assume stock lower which would put him around 12 psi on a stock 4.6L. I'd guess around 8 psi on his setup without the additional turbo boost. That is really where the eaton shines. I'd love to see his IATs during a pull.

What roots blower would you recommend that's more efficient at such a low RPM?

When I said the twinscrews would not work, I also said the Eaton TVS (more efficient Roots blower) would be the choice to go with.

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread