5.3L single or twin turbo

Sonicblu0311

Established Member
Lancaster (village), New York, United States
I have been reading through threads, other posters builds, and listened to countless opinions. To be quite honest, I still need help on my decision of what to do, what would be best suited for my goals. Ive determined im going to use a stroker kit in the FRPP Boss 5.0L MOD block, hopefully giving me a solid 5.3L. The final problem is, whether to go with the single 76mm or twin 61mm turbo kit from Hellion. The car will be mostly street driven, but the big reason for going with the turbo is that it will occasionally see some auto-x and road course time, and the instant power from the large blowers is actually detrimental to the handling of the vehicle. for power goal, i plan on making a modest 500 to 600whp for the street, but i would like to be able to break 1000+whp; not to use necessarily, but more or less just to say and know that i can (as childish as that may sound). I know the single 76 doesnt hit full spool till 3500 to 4000rpms with the 4.6, but i almost think that with a 5.3L, a single 76 would be perfect not only cost effective wise but in simplicity too. long in short, to any professionals on this site with lots of knowledge on building turbo cobras, for a mostly street driven car, with a 5.3L stroker, what would the recommendation be?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i think you're right on with the 76mm, it would be a great match with that displacement. only thing is i'm not sure you'll break the 4 digit mark with it. more than likely you'll need the twins for that, or a bigger single. either way i can't wait to see the outcome!!

Sonicblu0311

Established Member
Itll sadly take me a while to get all this done, im slowly but surely starting to gather parts for it, im saving for the block right now, but im still debating on some rotating assembly parts... i want the engine done by the end of this coming winter to minimize down time, but the turbo kit will probably be the last thing to do.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
If you're looking for 500-600 horsepower to use on tight autox courses and some track time, go twins. I wouldn't even go as big as the 61's, just 57's. You won't be breaking 1000rwhp with them, but you'll have the potential to make some big numbers. They will be very manageable for the street and autox and you won't have the unpredictability of a bigger single.

Sonicblu0311

Established Member
thanks everyone for the advice, only question is, i know HP and HPP use 57 twins, but hellion is 61s, i honestly couldnt afford HPP if i wanted to, so does anyone know if hellion will downsize their kit, or would they charge extra? also, i keep reading about everyones great experience running e85, i really wish they would bring it to WNY... more than just 3 stations that is, and that it would be more consistent also (around here its not a steady e85 rating).

04cobrasvt

whipple charged
Established Member
I have a 5.3L motor with an hpp twin kit...I have billet wheel 6262s and at 14lbs I made 800rwhp and 675rwtq...hope that helps you..

Users who are viewing this thread