5-30 oil... What are you guy's using

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
To each their own. Everyone will claim their stuff is the best. And everyone who uses it will say the same thing. The best advice i give people when looking into oils is to ask questions, find out the way they make the oils, like do they batch blend?

Cool story Eddie the drifter.. did you watch the testing in the video?

What I posted is not "guys saying theirs is the best because it's theirs". There were actual tests performed with empirical results.

Please share the results from the 3rd party who tested the oil you changed. That would add to the thread and give us some data on Motul.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
To each their own. Everyone will claim their stuff is the best. And everyone who uses it will say the same thing. The best advice i give people when looking into oils is to ask questions, find out the way they make the oils, like do they batch blend?
Make sure you are understanding what you are getting.
One of the most important things i tell people is to worry about how that oil is and what shape its in when it is coming out of your car when you do an oil change, most people will say its broken down and trash. depending on who you use and what fuel you use, that isn't always the case and i consider it very important when selecting an oil.
For instance we service a 2010 Dodge Viper ACR for track, we use Torco and Motul at our shop. For this car because it is Torco's car we were using Torco SR-5R 5w-40. Last year this car was then ran at ACS for a 2 day weekend event for NASA, Buttonwillow 2 day weekend Nasa event, Willow springs Big Willow and Streets of willow for Grid Life and Chuckwalla 2 day weekend event for Nasa. When we did all the lubricants services, they asked us to catch some samples and had a 3rd party do some testing to see how the oil was after all that. The 3rd party reported back that the oil had not really changed compared to the fresh bottle of SR-5R that was saved from the same case(batch more importantly)
Basically the oil was still as fresh as a new bottle and said it was technically a waste to change the oil lol. Mind you this car was beat on, driven by a local driver named Kevin Burke who swept the Nasa series he competed in for 2021 with this car winning 10 out of 10 events (5 2 day weekends) in TT2 and TT1 with this car and he also broke some chassis and manufacturer records as well doing this.
So the best advice i leave you with is that when you do your oil change, how good is that oil still when it comes out because that is probably and honestly should be the most important factor to all of us when selecting an oil. Hope this helps. But please do your homework on this stuff, I've noticed some have in this post and that is a good to do especially with how much money we put into our cars/hobby.
Here is a video of the mentioned Viper.

Never did any coarse racing like that........but that looks like alot of fun........just added to my bucket list, thanks @Eddie_Drift

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
Cool story Eddie the drifter.. did you watch the testing in the video?

What I posted is not "guys saying theirs is the best because it's theirs". There were actual tests performed with empirical results.

Please share the results from the 3rd party who tested the oil you changed. That would add to the thread and give us some data on Motul.
First off do not take my post as an attack, i was kind of replying to the thread as well. Not trying to start crap, but just share some knowledge and personal experience.

As for this post I was referring to your quote not the video. Its not a bad video but in the real world some race teams like to test oil differently not in a coffee pot, they all have their own ways whether its right or wrong people have their ways including in car and so not every test will be everyone's cup of tea.
My main thing was how well is the oil when you are changing it because that's something people don't think about besides thinking its trashed when you honestly don't want that hence why we change it.
I'm not trying to come on here and push a brand,, i stated what we use at the shop and what i use for stated reasons because i understand their is more to oil than just viscosity Index, like base oils and additive packs for starters without going down the rabbit hole of it.
You are free to choose whatever you want, my point of focus though was to make sure you do your homework and understand everything to help make your choice. Don't get sold on one thing, ask questions and dig deeper when selecting oil. Its hard sometimes to go off what race teams use because most are sponsored and paid by said oil manufacturer and will say anything to help the brand that point, reason why i like to pay attention to say the amateurs' and what are they using etc. And like i said most importantly my main question is how well is that oil you are draining because at the end of the day that's the biggest factor for your motor. please don't take this as an attack, just wanna help share some knowledge and food for thought is all.

If can still get my hands on that data again for the viper i will post it.

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
Never did any coarse racing like that........but that looks like alot of fun........just added to my bucket list, thanks @Eddie_Drift
I highly recommend it. Its up their with drifting for me. I use to drag race back in the day but then i got into drifting and road course stuff and they are an absolute blast. Usually most people try it once and get hooked. I have an 01 cobra with a terminator swap with a whipple on e85 that i use for road course along with a 99 GT with a FRPP 3v crate motor that i use for longer 20-25min course sessions. They are on my IG @Eddie_Drift if you wanna see them.

Funny that we are on this topic of oils because i had my whipple's bearings wear out on the road course on me, I want to go down the rabbit hole of what kinda blower oil i can i use to help prevent it from happening again. I got the blower rebuilt but also upgraded to a 2.9. So i think ill make a post about blower oils and what everyone is using...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread