5-30 oil... What are you guy's using

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil W/ Amsoil Filter Goes in 2014 Cadillac CTS V Coupe and the 2013 Super Snake gets MotorCraft Full Synthetic 5W50 W/ Ford Racing oil filter. Just started using FilterMag magnets with both as well.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil W/ Amsoil Filter Goes in 2014 Cadillac CTS V Coupe and the 2013 Super Snake gets MotorCraft Full Synthetic 5W50 W/ Ford Racing oil filter. Just started using FilterMag magnets with both as well.
Move the Super Snake to Amsoil Signature Series, @Vinnie_B. Your engine will thank you.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Move the Super Snake to Amsoil Signature Series, @Vinnie_B. Your engine will thank you.
Hey @Norton No doubt Amsoil is a better oil! Once I get done with my left over stock of Motorcraft Im going to switch over the SS to Amsoil as well. I know you dont use 5W50 in amsoil. What weight oil are you using? Why? Can you post the amsoil link of the oil your using in the Shelby GT500 so I can check it out. I'd appreciate it!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Hey @Norton No doubt Amsoil is a better oil! Once I get done with my left over stock of Motorcraft Im going to switch over the SS to Amsoil as well. I know you dont use 5W50 in amsoil. What weight oil are you using? Why? Can you post the amsoil link of the oil your using in the Shelby GT500 so I can check it out. I'd appreciate it!
I run Amsoil Signature Series 0W-40 (AZFQT), @Vinnie_B. As you know, Amsoil base stocks and additive packages are better than most alternatives, including Motorcraft, so that part of the decision was easy. I chose the viscosity after reviewing oil analyses, with an eye toward sheared viscosities of "used" oils. The sheared viscosity of AZFQT most closely approximated that of Motorcraft 5W-50, recommended by Ford's SVT. IMO, that gives my engine the best of both worlds.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I run Amsoil Signature Series 0W-40 (AZFQT), @Vinnie_B. As you know, Amsoil base stocks and additive packages are better than most alternatives, including Motorcraft, so that part of the decision was easy. I chose the viscosity after reviewing oil analyses, with an eye toward sheared viscosities of "used" oils. The sheared viscosity of AZFQT most closely approximated that of Motorcraft 5W-50, recommended by Ford's SVT. IMO, that gives my engine the best of both worlds.
Thats a very interesting analysis and makes total sense. I appreciate the recommendation and the links. Thank you for sharing this info...(y)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Motorcraft 5w50 is basically a 40w oil. I talked to SVT engineers about this years ago, it was a marketing decision. For the longest time only Motorcraft offered oil in that spec.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Motorcraft 5w50 is basically a 40w oil. I talked to SVT engineers about this years ago, it was a marketing decision. For the longest time only Motorcraft offered oil in that spec.
Listen guys......all this talk about oil viscosity, 40 weight, sheared viscosities got my head spinning.......Im a electrical terd......I mean nerd....... what F'in oil is the best for my 5.8 SS dammit......lmao :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Listen guys......all this talk about oil viscosity, 40 weight, sheared viscosities got my head spinning.......Im a electrical terd......I mean nerd....... what F'in oil is the best for my 5.8 SS dammit......lmao :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Opinions are likely to be all over the place, @Vinnie_B. For my operating environment, that includes some driving in (chilly) spring and fall mornings, I believe Amsoil Signature Series 0W-40 (AZFQT) is the best option. 0-weight provides the best/quickest flow at startup, while 40-weight provides good (expected) viscosity at operating temp.

If you generally operate in high temp environments, Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50 (AMRQT) may be a better option.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Opinions are likely to be all over the place, @Vinnie_B. For my operating environment, that includes some driving in (chilly) spring and fall mornings, I believe Amsoil Signature Series 0W-40 (AZFQT) is the best option. 0-weight provides the best/quickest flow at startup, while 40-weight provides good (expected) viscosity at operating temp.

If you generally operate in high temp environments, Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50 (AMRQT) may be a better option.
Lol..... I'm just jk'in around. Yea I was looking at some viscosity charts and according to them it matches exactly the way you just explained it....thanks for confirming what I interpreted from the charts thou. Thanks brother....(y) I'm thinkin due to the weather here in MI and me not driving in cold temps at all 5W-50 Amsoil will be the way for me too go!

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member

So....... I finally found some time to do a oil change on my 2013 SS and I could not believe the results so far......unbeliveable difference. I changed oil from Motorcraft 5W-50 to Amsoil signature series 5W-50. I started the car and after 5 minutes or so it was very noticeable that the engine sounded much quieter and acually looked as if the motor was just idleing much smoother than before the oil change. Im in awe of the difference between the 2 oils and the difference it has made on the motor mechanically......unbelieveable. Im wondering if I see any difference in some data log info such as heat and any minor performance gain. Anyway's...... I couldnt thank you enough @Norton for the recommendation of Amsoil signature series oil. I still just cannot believe the difference.......wow!!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
So....... I finally found some time to do a oil change on my 2013 SS and I could not believe the results so far......unbeliveable difference. I changed oil from Motorcraft 5W-50 to Amsoil signature series 5W-50. I started the car and after 5 minutes or so it was very noticeable that the engine sounded much quieter and acually looked as if the motor was just idleing much smoother than before the oil change. Im in awe of the difference between the 2 oils and the difference it has made on the motor mechanically......unbelieveable. Im wondering if I see any difference in some data log info such as heat and any minor performance gain. Anyway's...... I couldnt thank you enough @Norton for the recommendation of Amsoil signature series oil. I still just cannot believe the difference.......wow!!
I'm happy to hear that, @Vinnie_B!

I have not datalogged, so can't say with authority whether you'll see other improvements. FWIW, however, I suspect Amsoil is at least partly responsible for my car's above average dyno results. Temp-wise, I know Amsoil contributes to longer warm-up times (very noticeable on cold winter days when making repeatable commutes to/from work) for my daily-driven (and supercharged) Toyota Tacoma.

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
I run Torco TR-1R 10w-40 in my cobra and drift car since i am running e85 in both cars. Both are 700 whp+ that are mainly used for track stuff.

railroad

Established Member
I am running Amsoil 5W-50 in my 13 GT500 and Aluminator A50XS crate engine, 5W-30 Mobil in my 13 F150 3.5 ecoboost.
My catch can, JLT on my F150 would fill up in less than 1000 miles, before I went with Mobil 5W-30. I tried 2 or 3 other brands of oil, before I got it to stop. Now I empty the catch can maybe twice in 5000 miles and it is not full.
By the way, on the 13 GT500, very little oil/residue in the catch can. No catch can on the Aluminator, N/A

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The best "off the shelf" oil you can buy for a performance vehicle is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

The best "period" oil you can buy is Amsoil -- but you WILL PAY for it.

That said, the difference between Amsoil and Pennz UP is not large enough for me to make the switch and spend the extra money.

Check out the bracket this guy created for ALL of the major oil offerings. Pretty damn in depth testing here.... Amazon, Mobil 1, Lucas, Redline, Royal Purple, pretty much ALL of them were tested.

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
The best "off the shelf" oil you can buy for a performance vehicle is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

That said, the difference between Amsoil and Pennz UP is not large enough for me to make the switch and spend the extra money. Im a Pennzoil guy.

Check out the bracket this guy created for ALL of the major oil offerings. Pretty damn in depth testing here.... Amazon, Mobil 1, Lucas, Redline, Royal Purple, pretty much ALL of them were tested.

Ive heard good things about Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. But have never personally tried it yet in a vehicle. I just started using Amsoil SS 5W-50 in the 2013 GT500 SS that was recommended by @Norton. I switch from Motorcraft. The results are remarkable and that 5.8 mod motor fell in love with it. The motor just runs so much smoother and cooler. Im still amazed and didnt expect those kind of results!! Thanks for sharing the video @gimmie11s.............(y)

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Ive heard good things about Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. But have never personally tried it yet in a vehicle. I just started using Amsoil SS 5W-50 in the 2013 GT500 SS that was recommended by @Norton. I switch from Motorcraft. The results are remarkable and that 5.8 mod motor fellin love with it. The motor just runs so much smoother and cooler. Im still amazed and didnt expect those kind of results!! Thats forsharing the video @gimmie11s.............(y)

Amsoil is the best.... no doubt about that. They make a great product.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Amsoil is the best.... no doubt about that. They make a great product.
Im a believer now!! But honestly........no way did I expected to see, hear results from this oil in that manner. Im just amazed!

Eddie_Drift

Established Member

That said, the difference between Amsoil and Pennz UP is not large enough for me to make the switch and spend the extra money. Im a Pennzoil guy.

To each their own. Everyone will claim their stuff is the best. And everyone who uses it will say the same thing. The best advice i give people when looking into oils is to ask questions, find out the way they make the oils, like do they batch blend?
Make sure you are understanding what you are getting.
One of the most important things i tell people is to worry about how that oil is and what shape its in when it is coming out of your car when you do an oil change, most people will say its broken down and trash. depending on who you use and what fuel you use, that isn't always the case and i consider it very important when selecting an oil.
For instance we service a 2010 Dodge Viper ACR for track, we use Torco and Motul at our shop. For this car because it is Torco's car we were using Torco SR-5R 5w-40. Last year this car was then ran at ACS for a 2 day weekend event for NASA, Buttonwillow 2 day weekend Nasa event, Willow springs Big Willow and Streets of willow for Grid Life and Chuckwalla 2 day weekend event for Nasa. When we did all the lubricants services, they asked us to catch some samples and had a 3rd party do some testing to see how the oil was after all that. The 3rd party reported back that the oil had not really changed compared to the fresh bottle of SR-5R that was saved from the same case(batch more importantly)
Basically the oil was still as fresh as a new bottle and said it was technically a waste to change the oil lol. Mind you this car was beat on, driven by a local driver named Kevin Burke who swept the Nasa series he competed in for 2021 with this car winning 10 out of 10 events (5 2 day weekends) in TT2 and TT1 with this car and he also broke some chassis and manufacturer records as well doing this.
So the best advice i leave you with is that when you do your oil change, how good is that oil still when it comes out because that is probably and honestly should be the most important factor to all of us when selecting an oil. Hope this helps. But please do your homework on this stuff, I've noticed some have in this post and that is a good to do especially with how much money we put into our cars/hobby.
Here is a video of the mentioned Viper.

Users who are viewing this thread