• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

5.2L Supercharged Predator V8 Power | Not Yet Announced for the Gen III F-150 Raptor

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by SID297, Feb 3, 2021.

1. blk02edge

blk02edge Well-Known Member Established Member

Would it be much worse than an ecoboost? I always thought epa emissions were an across the line up deal?

2. Bensin

Bensin Active Member Established Member

City life is to blame. Was a different story when the SVT Lightning was new.

3. Corbic

Corbic Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Nope. F250+ fall under HD vehicles and have different EPA and DOT standards.

me32 likes this.
  4. snakecharmer

snakecharmer Well-Known Member Established Member

The old front end was way better looking. And while the promise of a V8 is welcome, as sure as the sky is blue, the price will be outrageous. Especially after the dealer scum get done marking them up. I'll take the TRX thank you.

me32 and Corbic like this.
  5. blk02edge

Oh I know that, im just curious how much worse an NA 7.3 would be than a 3.5EB or 5.2sc and wouldnt the rest of the base f150 fleet lower the standard

me32 likes this.
  6. ibismojo

ibismojo Member Established Member

15 years ago, 37's were the typical tire size for Trophy Trucks....you know 24" of travel up front, 36" in the rear, 800 hp going through a Chevy 3 speed auto (imagine the power it's putting down at the wheels lol). Guess what tire size trophy trucks are running now.....40's. Why? Makes those rocks, whoops, and holes a lot smaller, taking some of the work off the suspension. It's a similar reason why mountain bikes went from 26" tires to 29"...they roll over things easier.

BTW, the power on Trophy Trucks...hasn't increased much, if at all. What has changed is the advent of AWD thanks to King of the Hammers. And not just regular AWD, front wheels driven through portals. Those portals you see on the Bronco 4600 Ford revealed this week are used on the fastest Trophy Trucks running today (similar design, not those exact ones as they were custom built for the Bronco by 74 Weld).

2021-Ford-Bronco-4600-King-Of-The-Hammers-7.jpg

2021-Ford-Bronco-4600-King-Of-The-Hammers-3.jpg

I know it's hard to fathom for those who don't live near the desert or Baja....but Raptors rule the land over here. Ford is literally playing catch up to what basic prerunners were 15-20 years ago. The fact that you can get 14" of 4WD wheel travel, with 35's and 3.0 Fox Shocks (not some Rancho sticker special....actual racing shocks), with a warranty, directly from Ford.....is god damn bananas. This has never been done before....ever. And Raptor "owners" (let's be real, half the people complaining would never put their money where their mouth is and buy a Raptor) are complaining about power?

:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

ON D BIT and PhoenixM3 like this.
  7. Steve@TF

[email protected] Authorized Vendor Premium Member Authorized Vendor

i hear ya. could have sworn i read thats why they didnt put bigger tires on the gen 1 Raptor. i know people who custom build baja trucks (real ones). ive seen the massive custom custom suspension they rock to take the abuse, none of which the TRX nor Raptor have lol. of course, if Ford put 37s on stock then they certainly overbuilt the suspension to handle it.

8. SonicDTR

SonicDTR Wasn't me. Established Member

Are there people really taking stock Raptors to play hard or even race though? They seem to overwhelm the malls around me. All the actual offroad rigs I see are full aftermarket or custom buggies, so doesn't really matter how good the stock setup is.

9. blk02edge

The Raptor runs are fairly busy but they are mostly fairly soft fire road cruises. Nobody "races" their Raptors... In the same way nobody "races" their new CFTP GT500. Ford did take the mostly stock Raptors to baja and the Mint 400 but they have never won the stock class and a lot of people don't realize that a mostly stock 2wd VW bug can also complete the Baja.

ibismojo and me32 like this.
  10. ibismojo

ibismojo Member Established Member

It's a popular prerunner/race support vehicle for many race teams and folks who like to move quickly in the desert (and no the desert does not equal friggin' sand dunes). Go down to Baja, you'll appreciate wheel travel more.

The stock valving for desert whoops is a little light imo but any stiffer/slower and I'd imagine the on road ride quality will take a noticeable hit for most people.

11. tones_RS3

tones_RS3 I like members members. Established Member

So, when does this Gen 3 Raptor come out?
    I went to the Ford website to build one, but not sure which truck I need to pick to start the build, or is the gen 3 Raptor not available yet?

12. blk02edge

4 years plus 2 years

ON D BIT, PhoenixM3 and tones_RS3 like this.
  13. tones_RS3

It comes out in 6 years?
    Sorry,...my wording was dumb. lol When should we see these trucks out in the dealerships?

14. blk02edge

Im not actually sure, I'm just making fun of Fords painfully slow releases

PhoenixM3 and tones_RS3 like this.
  15. tones_RS3

HA HAAAAAAAA
    :D

16. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

pretty sure the sorry teaser video said available this summer (didnt clarify if that meant to order or actually show up at dealers).

tones_RS3 likes this.
  17. tones_RS3

Thanks man.
    Didn't watch the video. lol

18. 4sdvenom

4sdvenom Never Enough! Established Member

I would be happy if they just put paddle shifters that size in the Mustang!
    My guess is the R will have some version of the 6.8 pushrod motor. I can't realistically see them putting a 5.2 Predator in it.

Ken

CompOrangeCobra likes this.
  19. andymarkv

andymarkv Active Member Established Member

Thats what I'm seeing in the north east as well...little to no inventory of trucks.

Depending on how long the supply chains are jacked up...it may be a while for the Gen3 to show up.

And if people are worried about ADM's on Raptors...right now dealers are basically at sticker on normal trucks, that were $10K under just a year ago...

ON D BIT, BlksvtCobra01 and 13COBRA like this.